Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 05:11 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times

Advertisements

Again - how many college HCs are making several million a year? - it's very slim

Do you think the womens volleyball coach at Lander University is rolling in the money? The entire salary expense for all their womens athletics in 2009 were $250,111. Mens sports were $270,039.

Not exactly raking it in or being well on their way to professionalism.

There is definitely a baby & bathwater scenario going on with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 05:34 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,210,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
A four year scholarship is worth between $120,000 and $200,000, depending on school. That is one heck of a reward for being good at something. If that isn't enough - then the school/sport balance needs to be adjusted.

I think many coaches are overpaid, all things considered. But that doesn't mean the athletes need to be paid.

All coaches are overpaid. They contribute nothing to the educational mission of any university, yet are the highest paid employee on campus.

Players at big name schools playing college basketball and football are the equivalent to AAA baseball players. I take that back actually, their efforts gather far more revenue and attention! Pro sports should be separate from university. Does anyone think Cam Newton was just a regular college student (ha!) who had one heck of a reward for his EC activity or was he an entertainer who couldn't hack it as a normal student and was at school solely for his considerable talent as a professional yet unpaid athlete? Let him receive back what profits he made...let him make endorsements or whatever he can.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:39 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,210,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Again - how many college HCs are making several million a year? - it's very slim

Do you think the womens volleyball coach at Lander University is rolling in the money? The entire salary expense for all their womens athletics in 2009 were $250,111. Mens sports were $270,039.

Not exactly raking it in or being well on their way to professionalism.

There is definitely a baby & bathwater scenario going on with this.

Actually, football coaches tend to be the highest paid people on campus. Dan Hawkins made millions upon millions while losing over 2/3's of his games at CU Boulder. Nice try with Lander University women's volleyball but that team is not professional under the cover of amateur status the way Florida Gators football is.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:50 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Here's the deal. Why should an academic institution give a student a free ride because they can pole vault, dunk a basketball, run fast, or catch a touchdown pass?

What's more, of the 106 FBS schools in 2009, only 14 had athletic departments that ended up in the black. The other 92 wound up in the red. The median institution lost roughly $10,000,000 on athletic programs that year. And who pays the price? The ordinary college student and his or her parents.

Nader is right. And I don't often agree with the man.

Last edited by cpg35223; 03-28-2011 at 07:20 PM..

Old 03-28-2011, 05:51 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,867,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
Actually, football coaches tend to be the highest paid people on campus. Dan Hawkins made millions upon millions while losing over 2/3's of his games at CU Boulder. Nice try with Lander University women's volleyball but that team is not professional under the cover of amateur status the way Florida Gators football is.
I think the point is that there are probably thousands of colleges in the U.S. that offer some sort of scholarships for athletes. There are maybe 100 to 150 colleges that generate millions of dollars and would be considered a semi-professional sports team.

Why kill athletic scholarships at a NAIA school for the abuses at Ohio State?

Old 03-28-2011, 06:12 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
I think the point is that there are probably thousands of colleges in the U.S. that offer some sort of scholarships for athletes. There are maybe 100 to 150 colleges that generate millions of dollars and would be considered a semi-professional sports team.

Why kill athletic scholarships at a NAIA school for the abuses at Ohio State?
*ding*

Again, everyone focuses on the big schools that they see (which also kind of shows how good those schools are at getting their name known through athletics) however they fail to realize they are in the vast minority

There is just no truth to saying that the head football coach will always be the highest paid person on campus. There are professors who pull in very good wages. The average wage for a professor tops $100,000 in over 300 universities. Again, that is average wage. You'll have some who make a lot more.

You'll see that the university of northern CO was paying their head coach $95k - average professor makes $80k ..... so i'm sure the department heads, higher demand profs, etc are making 6 figures

A question of dollars: Bob Stitt, a UNC football coaching finalist in 2005, says money matters when hiring a coach | Greeley Tribune

Also in this article you'll see that the Colorado School of Mines head coach was making $67k in 2005. The average professor at the school was making $108k in 2005.

The Chronicle: AAUP Faculty Salary Survey

I'm not sure if people realize just how many universities there are in this country or the sheer number of athletic programs that are involved. Not every school is the University of Florida. They are the exception, not the rule - they also make a bucket of cash for their university.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
First, due to Title IX considerations, athletics have been cut at many universities.

However, a good portion of the athletics programs need to be considered marketing for the university. Since schools like Butler and VCU have attained some level of success, their applications and enrollment has increased.
Always blame the women! Title IX has not done anything to sports funding.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:58 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
I think all such scholarships are equally silly minded. I think they should be given to bright or dedicated students who lack money not to athletes.

We need to take a look at our colleges and just what business we expect them to be in. There seems to be a thriving market for professional sports, why should colleges be in the sports business?

It appears that while we concern ourselves with BCS standings and the Final Four and other such nonsense other nations are getting down to business and passing us by.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:01 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,099,444 times
I thought Ralph Nader died a few years back.
That guy is still out there !

Old 03-28-2011, 09:04 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Always blame the women! Title IX has not done anything to sports funding.

It is tied closely to the elimination of many men's sports teams at the Division I levels.

From the NCAA Report:

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/library/rese...supplement.pdf

Summary
Results indicate that as of 2003-04, there are over
900 more women’s teams than men’s teams in the
NCAA. . While teams are being
added and dropped in all divisions, the only division
in which there is a net decrease in the number of
teams is Division I. Of the teams dropped in Division
I, a disproportionate amount of them (57 percent)
were dropped in Division I-A. While both men’s and
women’s teams are being added and dropped, the net
loss of teams is really only an issue for men’s sports.

The sports with the highest net loss of teams are:
men’s and women’s gymnastics; men’s and women’s
fencing; men’s and women’s skiing; men’s tennis;
men’s swimming; wrestling; men’s rifle; and men’s
water polo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities