Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 09:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

But it's not funding. They could add more women's sports, or more women in the sports they have, or (as has been suggested about football) cut some players in men's sports. It's really too bad for guys that equality means having to share the resources equally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 10:35 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I think all such scholarships are equally silly minded. I think they should be given to bright or dedicated students who lack money not to athletes.
Do you also believe you should eliminate scholarships for music, acting, or fine arts also?

Scholarships at non revenue producing sports and at smaller schools don't necessarily go to complete morons that would never get into those schools. Many of those students are actually very smart, very skilled at their sport, and those schools use the bait of an athletic scholarship to get them to enroll. The vast majority of those scholarships are only partial ones, even sports like baseball. One of the reasons why the schools like to give those out, is the athletes surprisingly succeed in life, have strong school spirit, and become lifetime donors (much higher than the average student population). There is some sort of study that showed if you strip out men's basketball and football that athletes have higher GPAs than the average students at the schools that they attend.

My friend turned down both the U. of Illinois and Notre Dame to attend Temple because of a partial scholarship and the chance to play college volleyball. Was she nuts? Or did she have a once in a lifetime chance to play competitive sports beyond high school and still get a good education.

Men's basketball and football are different because they are tremendous revenue generators. You can also maybe make the argument for women's basketball and baseball at some schools where they are high profile sports. It's just not the same for say cross county at liberal arts college.

Last edited by slim04; 03-28-2011 at 10:43 PM..

Old 03-28-2011, 10:52 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
But it's not funding. They could add more women's sports, or more women in the sports they have, or (as has been suggested about football) cut some players in men's sports. It's really too bad for guys that equality means having to share the resources equally.
Funding is tied to spending because most sports programs at larger colleges is self funded, or at least 90% self funded. So football and men's basketball funds the entire sports program, which then must be split evenly between women and mens sports. The catch 22 is that football has extremely high overhead costs, but you can't cut it or you'll destroy the funding for all other sports.

The only alternative to offset the high costs of football is to cut non revenue producting men's sports, particularly those with high facility, travel, or equipment costs.

So yes, a university could spend more money to grow women's sports and not cut men's sports, but it would then cost more money from the university's academic funds which most colleges are unwilling to do for sports like men's golf, baseball, swimming, gymnastics, or wrestling that don't have a big following.

So I think there is some merit in exempting part of the revenue producing sports in the Title IX analysis, but then again is some of those sports getting kicked down to club level really going to kill anyone.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:32 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
Do you also believe you should eliminate scholarships for music, acting, or fine arts also?

Scholarships at non revenue producing sports and at smaller schools don't necessarily go to complete morons that would never get into those schools. Many of those students are actually very smart, very skilled at their sport, and those schools use the bait of an athletic scholarship to get them to enroll. The vast majority of those scholarships are only partial ones, even sports like baseball. One of the reasons why the schools like to give those out, is the athletes surprisingly succeed in life, have strong school spirit, and become lifetime donors (much higher than the average student population). There is some sort of study that showed if you strip out men's basketball and football that athletes have higher GPAs than the average students at the schools that they attend.

My friend turned down both the U. of Illinois and Notre Dame to attend Temple because of a partial scholarship and the chance to play college volleyball. Was she nuts? Or did she have a once in a lifetime chance to play competitive sports beyond high school and still get a good education.

Men's basketball and football are different because they are tremendous revenue generators. You can also maybe make the argument for women's basketball and baseball at some schools where they are high profile sports. It's just not the same for say cross county at liberal arts college.

Film, dance, theater and arts are all rich in educational and even academic value. Football, basketball, baseball, volleyball, etc. do not.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:34 PM

Not that I necessarily completely agree with either gentleman here, but this debate is relevant, well-spoken and from university members themselves (UT Austin faculty)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_766YDSMWvE

Granted, it is a long watch but I found it interesting.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:36 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
Not for music and arts as those are intellectual pursuits and proper fields of scholarship. Actually I'd as soon see colleges teach arts and music as "business" and accounting which are vocational courses and make college the white collar version of a welding or diesel mechanic school.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:51 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Pole & Irish - what pompous, baseless commentary

What educational & scholarly value do playing instruments have?

My wife was in her college band and all they really did was a lot of drugs

Obviously neither of you have played even rec sports - let alone at a highly competative level

Old 03-29-2011, 12:37 AM

Actually, I was a competitive swimmer in school. Very pompous and petty of you to assume I have never competed. Now, whose fault is it that your wife did nothing but drugs in college rather than learn the skills, art and aesthetics of music? Sports are great activities, but they are not of academic value. I love hiking, fishing and climbing but the enjoyment of those activities does not make them part of serious higher learning. Again, the man who cannot spell "competitive" somehow cannot discern the difference between academic and other subjects. Who would have known?!

Old 03-29-2011, 08:01 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Obviously neither of you have played even rec sports - let alone at a highly competative level
I played lineball, basketball, fast pitching and 16" softball a great deal when I was a kid. When I grew up I lost interest in that stuff.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:20 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
So you were lousy - even for a girl

Hey, that's fine .... no need to be jealous/hate on those who still enjoy recreation and games of skill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities