Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 01:36 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
It sounds like your school only offers a minor, not a major, in spanish. That's not them being messed up. Nearly every university on the planet has minors that they don't offer majors in. If you want to major in something that the school doesn't offer, you're going to have to complete the degree elsewhere. Simple as that.

However, if you want to teach, regardless of the subject, typically you want a degree in education.
Depends on where you live. In our state you have to have a degree in your subject area to teach middle and high school. You get a degree in Elementary Eduation for grades K-5 though. No school would hire you (middle or high school) if your "degree" was in education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
You can major in Education and minor in Spanish, which will make you an attractive candidate for public schools but not private schools. Moreover, most schools (public and private) prefer candidates with Master's degrees, either in Education or in the subject area. Furthermore, if you are going to teach in public schools, you need to become certified, which entails taking some core Education courses as well as passing the tests in your subject matter.

Lastly, you need to be fluent in the lang that you wish to teach. There are some schools that don't require fluency but the communicative approach is very popular right now. So, in addition to a degree and/or Ed classes, you need to cultivate fluency as well.

I would figure out what kind of school you wish to teach in (public or private) and go from there. If you can't major in Spanish at your school, you may be able to take some Ed courses that will at least enable you to become certified someday, although you do need to have a degree to teach a lang, in most schools, which means that you will need to find a school that offers a degree program. You might also consider Masters programs instead of another BA.
No, schools want NEW teachers WITHOUT a master's degree and then to go on and earn one after a few years. It is way to expensive for schools to hire teachers right out of college with a master's degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 02:30 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,749,743 times
To be the required NCLB highly qualified don't you have to have a major in the subject taught?

Old 04-03-2011, 02:48 PM

158 posts, read 239,130 times
the way they explained it to me is that you need either 24 or 30 hours in the subject matter you are going to teach, for most liberal arts thats the degree itself. My degree was 30 hours in history. I don't know what state you are from golfgal but if that was the case that means people with BAAS, general studies, and interdisciplinary studies would not be able to teach. As far as I was told, you just need the certification, but i dont want the major thing to be an issue if i go to interview with a principal.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:44 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,086,761 times
Can you take a Spanish course or two elsewhere (even online) and have it count as transfer credit towards the 30 credits you need?

Old 04-03-2011, 04:22 PM

809 posts, read 1,330,464 times
I am not following the entire story, but my daughter majored in Spanish - she has a BA- with certifications in elementary ed and special ed. She took all the praxis tests she needed. I am not sure of all the details, but she is qualified to teach Spanish k-12, special ed k-12, and elem ed k-6. Her school had a major in spanish (although not spanish education)- with special ed and elem ed certificiations she was able to just take the spanish praxis. We line in Penna.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:37 PM

so what was the point of your post?

Old 04-03-2011, 05:03 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Depends on where you live. In our state you have to have a degree in your subject area to teach middle and high school. You get a degree in Elementary Eduation for grades K-5 though. No school would hire you (middle or high school) if your "degree" was in education.

No, schools want NEW teachers WITHOUT a master's degree and then to go on and earn one after a few years. It is way to expensive for schools to hire teachers right out of college with a master's degree.
Not private schools and not schools in states that "value education" (like MA): all post job listings that specify that a Master's is preferred. Why? Because in more progressive districts as well as private schools, the schools either provide financial aid or pay outright for all professional development (which is usually the case with private schools). If a teacher has already procurred an MA on his/her own dime, so much the better.

Everything depends on the state in which one teaches as well as the type of school at which one teaches, which is why I told the OP to figure out what he/she wants before proceeding.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historygrad View Post
I think the point is that the poster is trying to illustrate the kind of education that makes one "qualified" b/c, in the end, the main thing that matters for most states is that you can pass the tests. There's no point in having a BA in a lang if you cannot pass the tests required for certification or don't qualify for teaching positions b/c you can't speak the lang.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historygrad View Post
Another rec is to study abroad, as another poster suggested. Most schools want prospective candidates to have experience living abroad and a lot of schools have placement tests that allow you to place out of classes at the uni. If your school has a study abroad program, then they should have a relationship with a school abraod that offers courses that are transferable for comparable credit at the home institution. I know that you need a certain amount of hours in residence (usually) but there is at least the possibility that you could get a lot of credits (as well as impressive study abroad experience, which will also aid your fluency) towards your degree via study abroad.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:24 PM

well i have the 24 hours in spanish and i used to live in mexico..so i guess im covered there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities