Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 02:01 PM

961 posts, read 2,019,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
If math is a language, undergraduate statistics and first year calculus are the equivalent of learning how to say "hello" and "can you direct me to the restroom". Engineers and science majors got an equivalent depth in the arts in Kindergarten making collages and cutting out snowflakes. Most gradeschools in other developed nations would be embarrassed if their graduates had similar mathematical competence as colleges in the U.S. People complain that their college degrees don't mean anything, yet also complain when asked to demonstrate a rudimentary grasp of basic mathematics. The subject matter itself is not difficult at all, some people just have a mental block that prevents them from grasping it. It is really like toilet training a toddler... some take to it faster than others but everyone has the ability. Unfortunately, though, it is socially acceptable to be quantitatively illiterate but not socially acceptable to soil one's pants as an adult.
I have a block and I'm retarded then.

I did get a higher math score than verbal (I was shocked!) in the GRE, but it was through painstaking studying. I'll get between a B- and A- in my just completed graduate statistics class this semester, but again, it's through painstaking study, lots of hardwork and late nights. Yes that's life.

It's boring, not interesting (to me), it felt like I was being punished. I guess it's good to know what a normal distribution is and what the difference between gamma and cramers v is, but man, I'm not going to be an accountant or one of those business people staring at stock output, so hopefully I'm completely done with math and numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 02:35 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,126,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post

I did get a higher math score than verbal (I was shocked!) in the GRE, but it was through painstaking studying. I'll get between a B- and A- in my just completed graduate statistics class this semester, but again, it's through painstaking study, lots of hardwork and late nights. Yes that's life.

It's boring, not interesting (to me), it felt like I was being punished. I guess it's good to know what a normal distribution is and what the difference between gamma and cramers v is, but man, I'm not going to be an accountant or one of those business people staring at stock output, so hopefully I'm completely done with math and numbers.
I'm horrible at math - not the basics, but Algebra. That's because I'm right-brain dominant. I'm a visual person, so if I can't visualize something in my mind, I don't understand. I'm decent with geometry, but I can visualize the shapes. Not everyone was meant to get an A in calculus. But then most mathematical people don't make good artists or writers. We all do best if we work doing what we're naturally interested in. You'll be a lot more successful if you work with your nature rather than against it.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:05 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,241,315 times
The problem with math, as I see it, is that only people who like math, and can do math easily, become math teachers. They don't understand how some people don't have a clue. Of course, it is also difficult in college, that the instructors can barely speak English...yet another problem...I had a Math 105 instructor, College Algebra, he was from China...could barely speak English..don't ask me how he passed any tests to come here...let alone be a college teacher.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:26 PM

919 posts, read 1,777,100 times
What I've found in studying/teaching math is that most folks do poorly or hate the subject because they have a poor conceptual understanding of the material. Most math texts and classes will focus primarily on equations/formulas with very little explanation of why its needed and why it was invented. For instance, just about anyone can do a first or second derivative and most can do an integration, but they have NO idea what they mean and why they are used. So if you're given a test/homework problem which focuses on a conceptual understanding, i.e. the question is more than just doing a calculation it asks you how do you use a calculation to figure out a problem, folks get completely lost.

And it doesn't have to be as advanced as calculus. Most folks don't realize for instance that a ratio is primarily a pure number, not a number of any one thing, so the units of measure have to be eliminated, or how the Pythagorean formula is used to calculate areas/volumes of geometric figures because no one taught why the formula was invented in the first place. What is the difference between constants/variables and how does one work with them, how are ratios, division and percentages related, and on and on. All of that has to do with conceptual understanding. Without that basic knowledge it's little wonder many people end up hating the subject because it doesn't make sense.

Actually when you think of it, math is more of a history lesson rather than just purely science. If its approached as a history lesson, which asks why something happened rather than just what happened, it becomes a lot more attainable for students, at least that's what I've seen. So I would suggest you begin not by doing calculations but by asking and knowing why whatever form of math you're studying was invented and why its used. Any good prof/teacher should help you achieve an answer.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:01 PM

157 posts, read 331,579 times
Quote:

Why are you taking graduate level stat class if it's not relevant in your field? I know for econ, that's all you do, test stats against variables, and I took some for mass communication, but not sure about others. It would be a waste of time if you won't ever use it

Old 05-06-2011, 08:16 AM

961 posts, read 2,019,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorgrad2004 View Post
Why are you taking graduate level stat class if it's not relevant in your field? I know for econ, that's all you do, test stats against variables, and I took some for mass communication, but not sure about others. It would be a waste of time if you won't ever use it
It's required as the Quantitative Research Aspect for my MA. I'm doing International Affairs. Not all IR programs require a quantitative course though.

On the flipside, we're not required to take economics--others require an economics course.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:34 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,863,555 times
I think everyone should just learn how to count,multiply,divide,subtract. The other stuff that we learn in school is useless.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:43 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,263,561 times
It seems to be there are two exit points in math education. The first is after beginning algebra. At this point, you should have the ability to know how to frame problems, using variable notation, work with spread sheets, etc. With this background, you should also be able to do basic probability and statistics. Also included is basic trigonometry. If these skills are not mastered, good luck finding a decent job. Even worse, if one is convinced that algebra is not necessary, you had best be an intuitive/creative genius, physical beast, physically attractive, or a charmer... or have inherited wealth.

The second point is after a year of calculus and linear algebra. This gives you the basics foundations for the sciences and computer algorithms. Now the "giving" is not just content, but in problem solving and framing skills. Included would be the derivatives of stats & probability.

To me, most young parents today should target the latter for their kids. However, the absolute must is the former, with exceptions noted above.

S.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:45 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,263,561 times
Quote:
It's required as the Quantitative Research Aspect for my MA. I'm doing International Affairs. Not all IR programs require a quantitative course though.

On the flipside, we're not required to take economics--others require an economics course.
Stats in the social sciences without structural models is a travesty. They have done more to undermine intellectual growth than aid its development.

S.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:54 PM

817 posts, read 2,243,178 times
For those saying that they hate math...I can understand that.

For those saying it's a waste of time...I disagree. College is not supposed to be easy. In a way, employers know that when they've hired someone, that a college degree is an indication that they were smart enough and/or worked hard enough to get through things like math classes...write papers in biology or sociology, etc.

Just another way to look at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities