Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:17 PM

54 posts, read 140,486 times

Advertisements

Claremont and The New School are potentially good fits. They also have rolling admission so I have some flexibility. The New School's MS in Organizational Change Management probably prepares me for industry more than academia, but I suppose I could use the program as a starting point. Claremont has a number of OB/IO concentrations.

The New School may be more forgiving of my GPA and does not require the GRE (recommended). I'll probably take it anyway. I will apply to both schools and complete the FAFSA. With some luck (and obviously a lot of hard work), I may be in no later than Spring 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 08:23 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olosir View Post
Claremont and The New School are potentially good fits. They also have rolling admission so I have some flexibility. The New School's MS in Organizational Change Management probably prepares me for industry more than academia, but I suppose I could use the program as a starting point. Claremont has a number of OB/IO concentrations.

The New School may be more forgiving of my GPA and does not require the GRE (recommended). I'll probably take it anyway. I will apply to both schools and complete the FAFSA. With some luck (and obviously a lot of hard work), I may be in no later than Spring 2012.
That sounds really great, especially if your reasons for doing it are personal fulfillment. The $$ may come but it sounds like you would be just as happy if (for some reason) it didn't, and that works in your favor.

Even if they don't require the GRE, I would still take it and try to do well on it. A lot of those schools say that the GRE isn't a requirement but, if you are in a pool of candidates who have all submitted strong GRE scores, and you are the only one who hasn't, that may be the reason why you are passed over.

If you can, sign up for an inexpensive GRE course (local colleges usually have them), get the books, and try to do as well as you can on them.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:19 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,164,572 times
Quote:

there are decent I/O master's programs that will not cost you near as much. Try to stay away from the professional schools. Look into Western Kentucky, Georgia Southern, Appalachian State, Minnesota State, a couple of the UC schools have master's programs too. I would try to go to a traditional school, especially if you want to get into a PhD program.

I personally wouldn't consider going further than 30-40k in debt for a master's degree in any form of psychology.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:58 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
The first thing that you should be doing right now contacting any potential school you may be interested in and asking them what you need to do.

Quote:
I'm a 28 year old male who earned a BS in Management/Finance minor from a good liberal arts school five years ago. My undergraduate experience was very difficult. I had mental health issues, withdrew and then readmitted, struggled in a lot of classes, didn't fit in socially, and generally left school directionless. I somehow fulfilled my degree requirements with a 2.8 GPA and no significant accomplishments. I've been working full-time in a management role at a state agency. I abhor it. After essentially spending the last ten years of my life in an apathetic funk, I've endeavored to make significant changes.

During undergrad, I was not the least intellectually curious, despite doing very well in high school and generally being intelligent. That's changed. I now have many interests, and I desire to pursue a career in academia. I want to leave my job by July 1 and go back to school. My intention is to prepare myself for academia or research. Realistically, I stand no chance of being admitted to a respectable grad school in either a masters or PhD program. Furthermore, I'm not ready yet and I've obviously missed deadlines for Fall 2011.

But what can I do beginning this summer to position myself for entry in Fall 2012? I obviously need to strengthen my academic record, study and do damn well on the GRE or GMAT, and develop relationships with professors who can provide solid recommendations. I'm not really interested in taking online courses because I want to take part in some of the experiences I missed during my undegrad years.

Relevant information: I had no finacial aid or loans during undergrad, I'll be using just about all of my savings to relocate and pay off some credit card debt, and my parents probably won't be providing me with much help. I need about $2,000 per month to cover living expenses, and probably won't have a job for several months. I'd really like to focus on academics anyway, so I doubt I'll be working more than part-time.

What approach should I take? Can I maybe take some extension classes on campus or go the non-matriculating route? Should I attempt to get a second bachelors degree? If I start taking classes this summer in a certificate program or extension studies, would I be able to get private loans to cover tuition AND living expenses? Could I then just continue taking classes for a year until I'm formally admitted to a masters or PhD program?
There is a lot of confusion about grad school admissions. GPA plays a role, but only slightly. Your culmalative GPA, as a whole, is not as important as the GPA calculated from the specific courses that are related to your intended course of studies at the graduate level. A 2.8 GPA is not that bad. Average GPA is around 2.5 to maybe 2.7 tops. A 2.8 is considered above average.

GRE scores will vary by school and more realistically, department. Some place more weight onto them, others don't. Some don't require them all together.

Low scores, grades, and other aspects of your undergrad career could always be explained in your interview. They will probably ask you, anyways.

Your personal statement will play a heavy role in admission. Graduate schools, programs, and departments, want students who are not only prepared to study at that level, but who also have the desire to do so. A top-notch "perfect" undergrad with a wishy-washy personal statement will not get into grad school.

So, there are many ways to get into a graduate program, and some, may even admit you even if you do not fully meet their requirements (MIT, for example, will admit students who fall short on say, their math requirement, only to have that graduate student complete the math course[s] at the undergrad level at the same time they working on their graduate studies).

Things get slightly different at the Ph.D. level as more-often-than not, whether you get admitted is simply a case of a Prof who is willing to take you on (i.e., you are interested in their area of study or an area that will further benefit their work. And prestige). A former prof of mine applied to the same Ph.D. program three times. On the third time, one of the profs in the department noticed that it was his third time applying and figured This guy is persistent, why not? So he took him in.

My current GF got accepted into Johns Hopkins. She graduated M.C.L., yet had a rather dismal GRE score in math. JH told her that they were iffy about admitting her, citing concern that her score in math would hinder her ability to complete her program. They decided to admit her, anyways. Or as she said, they made a mistake. She did scrap her way through the process, though.

So don't give up.

As to what plan of action you should do, like I wrote above your quote, call the school[s] and ask them what you need to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
It's pretty rare for a school to admit a student who is not pursuing a degree.
It is more common than most may think. They are generally called Special Students, and are, in general, students that have interests in taking courses at the graduate level. Sometimes undergrads do this, but generally it is more common among working professionals who want to brush up or learn this or that, yet don't have the need to get another degree or cert.

This was also known as the "back door" into graduate school. A kind-of work around to the admission process. The idea is, or was, to be admitted as a special student, take courses for a year or so, then [re]apply for admission once you have "proven" you are capable. Not sure if this works anymore, though.

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. I have tried to think about this logically and identify my goals and the reasons why I want to pursue an advance degree. They primarily involve gaining more specific knowledge and a competitive advantage in a field that interests me with the intent of earning more money and, ultimately, feeling confident and fulfilled with my career.
Unless you want to specifically do research, there is no need to get a Ph.D. You can go the route of academia with a Masters.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Unless you want to specifically do research, there is no need to get a Ph.D. You can go the route of academia with a Masters.
I would be interested to know which schools have tenured faculty that only have master's degrees. Especially in the business, O.D., and I/O areas.

Sure you might be able to pick up a few classes at your local community college or the argosy's, U of Phoenix's, etc., but that is not a career in academia.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:07 PM

360 posts, read 1,019,079 times
First off, WHAT do you want to study? Academia is very broad and you can't apply to a program without knowing WHAT program you want to apply to. Figure out what interests you. Audit some classes, read some books, try to figure this out because going to grad school for the sake of going to grad school is a giant mistake.

When you figure out what you want to study/what you like, figure out what you need to do to get there. If you discover molecular biology is your passion, then yes, you're probably going to have to do a second undergrad degree to go get a PhD in it. If you discover you really like English literature, you might be able to take a mix of undergrad courses and non-matriculated grad courses while you work on the rest of your application.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:30 PM

Update: I completed my application for The New School. Now, to address other topics in this thread...

I can't afford to invest a lot of money or time into a course of study that won't at least lead to a good job outlook. What am I passionate about? What do I want to study? Poetry, film, art history, literature. Can I study any of those areas? Other than for enrichment, which I do currently, absolutely not. I'm not getting a job in any of those fields.

I realistically have to pursue a MBA, I/O, or some other type of Management concentration. I'd preferably like to use the post-bac work I do to enter academia, but I'd be okay with being a consultant in private industry. I need to be a realist. I'm almost 30, my undergraduate record is not spectacular, and my professional experience is simply average.

I can't stay in my current role indefinitely. I'll be miserable. Without further education, I don't see much room for upward mobility, and academia is obviously out of the question. I don't think a couple of online certifications will do it for me either. I have to take a chance here, yet the risk is significant. If I incur a lot of debt, lose two years of a decent salary, and hope I'm accepted to a PhD program, I stand to lose a lot.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:35 PM

Another update: while investigating I/O graduate programs, I found Fairfield University's MA in Applied Psychology with a concentration in I/O. This looks almost ideal: very reasonably priced, curriculum seems to be what I'm looking for, etc. My concern is the admissions criteria. It looks like virtually ANYONE could get into the program: 2.67 GPA, no GRE, two recommendations, a personal statement. Should I be dissuaded because of the relatively easy criteria? Is anyone able tp speak to Fairfield's graduate study reputation? Finally, any thoughts on The New School's program vs. this one? I will post the program links.

Master

Fairfield University Education & Allied Professions M.A. in Applied Psychology

Old 05-06-2011, 06:05 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Quote:
Another update: while investigating I/O graduate programs, I found Fairfield University's MA in Applied Psychology with a concentration in I/O. This looks almost ideal: very reasonably priced, curriculum seems to be what I'm looking for, etc. My concern is the admissions criteria. It looks like virtually ANYONE could get into the program: 2.67 GPA, no GRE, two recommendations, a personal statement. Should I be dissuaded because of the relatively easy criteria? Is anyone able tp speak to Fairfield's graduate study reputation? Finally, any thoughts on The New School's program vs. this one? I will post the program links.

Master

Fairfield is considered a good private school. It is by no means a little ivy but probably more of a safety school for those wishing to attend a private college. An MA from Fairfiled will be okay if you are planning to stay in the area and will be pursuing an MA for career enhancement. If you were planning on going on to a Phd., I would say skip it.

The New School tends to be about the same. I think that I would figure out which will provide funding and/or cost less and go with that option, regardless of reputation.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:

Master

I can tell you that I have never heard of either and am working on a paper discussing presentation rates at SIOP, the main conference outlet for research in the field. Neither have been affiliated with any symposiums, presentations, or poster sessions in 2008, 2009, or 2010. So if you plan to go on for a PhD it looks like you will need to be doing a lot of independent research.

What about Baruch CUNY or University of Hartford?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities