Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2011, 09:15 AM

24,488 posts, read 40,983,168 times

Advertisements

I took a class in college where we had to create a product and/or service. Well, the service that I developed is very feasible. At the time, the professor seemed interested in it as well, but nothing came of it after the class.

Before I go live with it, I want to make sure that there won't be any legal issues.

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but it's college-related.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 02:47 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,385,572 times
I think it depends on the idea... you'd better tell us the details. :-)

Old 04-16-2011, 06:47 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,796,393 times
It's yours. But if it is closely supervised by a professor and he provides you with the materials and resources. It's probably owned by both. Research intellectual property.

At a corporation they own everything you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I took a class in college where we had to create a product and/or service. Well, the service that I developed is very feasible. At the time, the professor seemed interested in it as well, but nothing came of it after the class.

Before I go live with it, I want to make sure that there won't be any legal issues.

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but it's college-related.

Thanks!

Old 04-16-2011, 09:50 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,834,796 times
Legally, anyone who creates anything owns the copyright to it, automatically. However, copyright law allows work to be used without permission for educational purposes. So a teacher may use your work as an example in future classes. Most universities also retain the right to use your work or accomplishments for marketing purposes.

Your professor does not retain the right to use your idea for profit or personal gain.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:03 PM

24,488 posts, read 40,983,168 times
Thanks guys. The professor was really hands off in the creation of the product. He gave me direction on day one and then basically never spoke about it again until I had to present it. By direction, he mentioned some resources "out there" that I can utilize to prototype and fund R&D... but I handled everything myself. All he did was provide me with the directional information, and a grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities