Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:29 PM

41 posts, read 44,596 times

Advertisements

Your joking right. Jobs keep dissappearing, we are graduating
more people than jobs open. Where are all these people going
to make money at and please don't say service or fast food

If anything college is less necessary since the opportunity
for many unless they get a top of the line degree like
nursing is not there making the journey not worth it
as their time can be put to better use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 07:47 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,541,354 times
What a joke. There are aload of people with Bachelors degrees who will easily discount what OP is saying. They have debt instead of even $40,000 a year jobs.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:49 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,541,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Mouse9 View Post

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:52 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,172,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Mouse9 View Post

You're joking right?

How is college LESS necessary if more people than ever are going to college? What better use would you suggest young people invest their time in?

In a competitive job environment LESS education doesn't make you more attractive to a potential employer....

Look at the list of high paying jobs that were listed by the OP....how many of those jobs are available to someone without a degree??

College is more necessary now than ever...

Despite the economic downturn some facts remain unchanged...

The unemployment rate for college graduates is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than for those without a degree....this has been true since the stat has been recorded.

College graduates earn more money during their careers than non college graduates....

As for the reference to Europe someone made??? Are people aware that the percentage of college graduates in Europe and most developed nations for that matter is significantly higher than the US??

So sure, escape to Europe if you would rather wait tables there than here, but NOT having a degree isn't going to help you get a job over there any more than it will here...

Old 04-26-2011, 12:38 AM

37,731 posts, read 40,772,892 times
I can't recall what I was watching, listening to or reading but the person said the key to avoiding unemployment is a trade that can only be done locally by a skilled person, that is, it can't be done overseas nor would there be poor people or highly educated people brought in from a foreign country to do it. Example: A self-employed plumber, an electrician, a carpenter, etc.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:36 AM

2,627 posts, read 4,277,882 times
A college degree is no longer 'money in the bank' as far as guaranteeing a even a moderate paying job. Because so many people now have degrees, there is a lot more competition for jobs. Competition means that employers can get away with paying less because it is easier to find someone willing to work for less. Still, if you don't mind the competition, there are many great jobs that absolutely require a college degree, and many that require an advanced degree. There are many jobs that don't require a college degree, but for the most part, a college degree makes finding employment a lot easier.

I'll use a football analogy. In the 1960's, an athletic O-lineman that was 300 lbs was almost guaranteed a roster spot because of the advantage it gave him over the 250-260 lb competition. In 2011, 300 lbs+ linemen are a dime a dozen, so plenty of athletic 300 pounders are cut every spring. While some guys still make the team weighing in less than 300 lbs, it is the exception rather than the rule, and it is harder to make the team weighing 275 now than it was in the 60's. In summary, being 300 lbs is still an asset, but is no longer the free pass it used to be due to competition.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:56 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,153,802 times
If you graduate with a bachelors degree and actually put in effort while in school and cannot create a job for yourself, then that is your own fault.

The job pool is not stagnant. The onus for job creation is on you and me, and no one else. Put a portfolio together showing a company how you can either make they more money than you ask for in salary, or showing how you can save them more money than you demand in salary and I guarantee you will find a job. The education and network of connections from college are tools to be used to accomplish this goal. Anyone voluntarily choosing not to go to college is simply eliminating a tool from their skillset.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:14 PM

303 posts, read 601,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
I say drop out of college, work any job you can get and in the mean time start busting your butt building your own business.
Thats exactly what I'm trying to do . I'm really trying to hustle but still job hunting But I staying positive since it gives me time to plan and research other business areas too

I'm hoping my future will be great, but I gotta hustle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities