Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2011, 10:40 AM

12 posts, read 51,100 times

Advertisements

I am an international student from India interested in doing Master of Science in Computer Science. I have an "average" academic profile during my BS-CS (from an Indian Univ) primarily due to less attention paid to academics. I now want to improve my profile through MS study. I have got admits from Clemson, New Jersey Insti of Tech, Rochester Insti of Tech, Uni of Texas Dallas, Uni of Texas Arlington, San Jose State Uni. Hoping to get an admit from USC also. My 2 major criteria for selecting which university to join would be "Academic Learning during MS" and "Post-MS Job Prospect in US" both carrying equal weightage. A 3rd less important criteria may be "Cost of Education" carrying only about 15% weightage.

1> Based on the above 3 criteria, please prioritize the 7 univs that I have got admits (including USC)

2> If I have to decide among Clemson, UTD and USC only, what would be your priority/sequencing and why? Any major +ve/-ve point for each of these 3 univs?

3> Any other suggestion for selecting the university to join?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 12:19 AM

48-hours and still no reply. Please help!

Old 04-27-2011, 08:04 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,280,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscsinusa View Post
I am an international student from India interested in doing Master of Science in Computer Science. I have an "average" academic profile during my BS-CS (from an Indian Univ) primarily due to less attention paid to academics. I now want to improve my profile through MS study. I have got admits from Clemson, New Jersey Insti of Tech, Rochester Insti of Tech, Uni of Texas Dallas, Uni of Texas Arlington, San Jose State Uni. Hoping to get an admit from USC also. My 2 major criteria for selecting which university to join would be "Academic Learning during MS" and "Post-MS Job Prospect in US" both carrying equal weightage. A 3rd less important criteria may be "Cost of Education" carrying only about 15% weightage.

1> Based on the above 3 criteria, please prioritize the 7 univs that I have got admits (including USC)

2> If I have to decide among Clemson, UTD and USC only, what would be your priority/sequencing and why? Any major +ve/-ve point for each of these 3 univs?

3> Any other suggestion for selecting the university to join?

Thanks in advance.
In terms of rank (from US news and world report) for MS in Comp Sci:

#20 USC
#79 UT-Dallas
#79 Clemson
#91 NJ Inst of Tech
#99 UT-Arlington
Unranked - Rochester Inst of Tech (unless this is the same as Univ of Rochester)
Unranked - San Jose State

However, with USC you have to take into account expenses. If I was in your situation, I would go to UT-Dallas because of its low cost vs. quality of education. But with USC you will get a very well known university-- with a fun campus life-- and possibly some alumni appeal. But with Dallas... you get to be in the city of Dallas which has a strong need for Comp Sci Majors. Unemployment numbers in Dallas are particularly low compared to places like LA (where USC is located). However, the University of Texas at Dallas does not have the reputation that a school like USC has...

Unemployment Numbers
Dallas = 8.1%
LA = 11.5%
Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Cost of living is higher in California... In Dallas it isn't quite as bad. Lets compare tuition between the two schools:

Tuition, fees, room and board
UT-Dallas = $23,730/year
USC = $41,022/year

If money is no problem for you-- I would go to USC. There is always the possibility you can get scholarships or assistance from the school to help you pay for it.
However, if money is a concern... I'd go to UT-Dallas

*It is also critical you get some internships while in school to help you land a job when you graduate with your MS degree

Old 04-27-2011, 10:57 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,145,886 times
USC, no question about it. It is ranked 11th by US News University of Southern California (Viterbi) | Best Engineering School | US News and has much better recognition.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:21 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
I agree with cyclone. If money isn't a problem, then definitely USC. But as far as 'bang for your buck' UT-Dallas has an excellent academic reputation and expenses will be much lower. It definitely will not be nearly as exciting as going to USC, however.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:38 AM

Thanks Cyclone, Downtown and Daniel for your inputs. Let me think over it for some more time. In case I get a scholarship from UTD which I have applied for, my decision should be easier.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:03 AM

Okay. I got a reject from the USC. So, I have decided to go for UTD. Thank you all again for your valuable inputs.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:53 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,280,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscsinusa View Post
Okay. I got a reject from the USC. So, I have decided to go for UTD. Thank you all again for your valuable inputs.
UTD will be a good school! Congrats!

Old 06-17-2011, 04:28 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,167 times
Sorry about the reject from USC, but UTD is nothing to scoff at. Hope you have a good experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities