Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 01:28 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
I would think the only worthwhile way to earn two bachelor degrees is to do them at the same time (double major). I ended up doing that, when I wanted the second major (I was close enough to finish the first one, so I did). I would just go for the masters if you can, a second degree doesn't make much difference outside of impressing random people that you had a double major.

I agree. I got two bachelor degrees at the same time. This was back in the late 60s and things are probably different today in the job market. Back then unless you were looking for a job in an extremely specialized field all the employers wanted to know was if you had a BS or a BA.

The reason I got two was because I realized I only lacked a few credits to get the second and I decided to take 18 hours a semester in the last year to grab the second BS.

I think a masters degree would be better in the job market these days rather than 2 bachelors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 05:17 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Depends on the profession.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:50 PM

243 posts, read 1,629,746 times
Just finished my post-baccalaureate in Accounting, which is like a second bachelors degree. I did it because for the sake of switching fields, plus in Accounting you need 150 credits to sit for the CPA exam...not going into public accounting, but i locked down an accountant job in the health care industry through campus recruiting...I don't regret my choice at all

Old 05-04-2011, 11:30 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,684,206 times
I have a BA in Spanish and French. It gives me an edge in the teaching field: I can teach two subjects instead of one. And it also gives me more options for a Grad degree. Plus, I love learning langs (:

Old 05-06-2011, 12:00 AM

360 posts, read 1,019,079 times
A second degree for the sake of a second degree doesn't help a lot in the work field. I also have two undergrad degrees as I double majored (biology and philosophy) like other posters I was very close to a second major so I took the extra classes to do it but it doesn't make a ton of difference.

If you're trying to sit for say the CPA or CFA exam, or you want to go into higher levels of a field that requires specific degrees (such as nursing) a second bachelors or post-bacc can be useful. For more generalized issues and most fields - going to get a grad degree is generally more beneficial (even if it involves taking some undergrad pre-reqs.) Even for professional school, I wouldn't advise anyone go get a second bachelor's. MBA and JD programs usually don't want a specific major just that you have an undergrad degree from a decent school. MD/DO/DVM/DPT/etc usually requires certain science classes (varies by program) but these can be taken either at a community college or state school without having to take on the time and expense of a full-blown second degree.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:06 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,386,514 times
Most people have have two BA's are doing it to avoid adulthood. There is no benefit unless you have ample time, money and aren't pursuing a career... just doing it to "broaden" yourself.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:21 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Most people have have two BA's are doing it to avoid adulthood. There is no benefit unless you have ample time, money and aren't pursuing a career... just doing it to "broaden" yourself.
Avoiding adulthood...how so?
There are some folks who are entertaining a career change and they need the second bachelor's to make the switch.
In the nursing field, a second bachelor's degree is a popular choice. Some students can immediately go into a Master's nursing program without majoring in nursing as an undergrad but there are few programs. Most widely seen program are accelerated bachelor's degree programs for nursing so students take classes year round and get a degree at a quicker rate.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:15 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Quote:
It is more than just that. It's very easy to get a second BA: it's feasible to do it part-time and it does not have to cost a lot of money. Moreover, the majority of the people that I know worked while they got a second BA or an MA.

People get second BA's for a range of reasons, very few of which involve simply broadening oneself or avoiding adulthood; it almost always involves a reason that is dorectly career-oriented.

Sorry, but you just sound bitter

Old 05-10-2011, 03:37 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,277 times
Quote:

No offense but that is a blanket statement-I need a second degree..because the state I live in won't let me sit for a professional exam without having a bachelor degree in the field-even though I already have one-a lot of states have these rules-my other half has three bachelor degrees-same reason.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:06 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Masters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities