Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 02:04 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,697,930 times

Advertisements

Well, I won't dog NW Oregon. Beautiful area. And I like Portland. However, I will take issue with the notion that NW Oregon has more plant diversity than S. Oregon. That was what I thought until I studied it. SW Oregon blows anywhere in the PNW out of the water by a large margin in the diversity department. And it has many species found nowhere else in the world. And add in the Klamath Lake and marshes, the Klamath, Rogue, Umqua, Chetco, Coquille, Smith, Eel, Mad, Trinity, and Illinois Rivers and you have great aquatic diversity too. I would add that we have N. California nearby and the high lonesome country of Klamath and Lake counties out the back door. We're doing just fine for diversity and recreation. Excuse me while I pinch myself for having to "suffer" through my grim S. Oregon existence.....

Oh, and I'll mention that in the precipation sunshine department, the climatological averaged show there are about 25-30% less cloudy days in Ashland, slightly less in Medford. I won't lie and say we have sunny winters, but that modest decrease in cloudiness and rain really made a difference for me. And in winter, some nights I can go out in a down coat and enjoy the snow and cold, dry night air with stars! And if I an lucky I might step on a leaf and hear crunch rather than squish.. When I lived in Corvallis, I struggled with the gloom. I don't think about it much in S. Oregon. Except this spring, which did get under my skin. Point is, I agree that we are not a sunny Santa Barbara kind of place, but that modest difference might bring it within the pain threshold for a gloom sensitive person. The biggest differences I see are in the shoulder season (May-June; September-October), when the marine layers push into the Willamette Valley, but S. Oregon is clearer. Roseburg is intermediate in all respects, but in my study of the climate data, it is closer to the Willamette Valley than to the Rogue Valley (Medford, Grants Pass, Ashland).

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 05-13-2011 at 02:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 01:43 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,697,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Well, I won't dog NW Oregon. Beautiful area. And I like Portland. However, I will take issue with the notion that NW Oregon has more plant diversity than S. Oregon. That was what I thought until I studied it. SW Oregon blows anywhere in the PNW out of the water by a large margin in the diversity department. And it has many species found nowhere else in the world. And add in the Klamath Lake and marshes, the Klamath, Rogue, Umqua, Chetco, Coquille, Smith, Eel, Mad, Trinity, and Illinois Rivers and you have great aquatic diversity too. I would add that we have N. California nearby and the high lonesome country of Klamath and Lake counties out the back door. We're doing just fine for diversity and recreation. Excuse me while I pinch myself for having to "suffer" through my grim S. Oregon existence.....

Oh, and I'll mention that in the precipation sunshine department, the climatological averaged show there are about 25-30% less cloudy days in Ashland, slightly less in Medford. I won't lie and say we have sunny winters, but that modest decrease in cloudiness and rain really made a difference for me. And in winter, some nights I can go out in a down coat and enjoy the snow and cold, dry night air with stars! And if I an lucky I might step on a leaf and hear crunch rather than squish.. When I lived in Corvallis, I struggled with the gloom. I don't think about it much in S. Oregon. Except this spring, which did get under my skin. Point is, I agree that we are not a sunny Santa Barbara kind of place, but that modest difference might bring it within the pain threshold for a gloom sensitive person. The biggest differences I see are in the shoulder season (May-June; September-October), when the marine layers push into the Willamette Valley, but S. Oregon is clearer. Roseburg is intermediate in all respects, but in my study of the climate data, it is closer to the Willamette Valley than to the Rogue Valley (Medford, Grants Pass, Ashland).
Ahem...talk about a thread hijack! I was double threading and copying and, well...you can see the result..moderator,feel free to delete.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:16 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,216,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Hey guys, quick question for all....

What is the benefit of going for a second Bachelor's degree instead of continuing on with a Masters program in a field of study different from your undergraduate work?

Is there anybody out there with two Bachelors degrees that could tell me why they chose that route verses continuing on with graduate work.

Just curious. Thanks to all who reply.
It depends on the circumstances, but 2 bachelors worked for me. I got a BS in biology, and then could not decide what to do. Jobs weren't exactly pouring in. I then took some engineering and computer science classes out of interest, and considered an MS in computer science. You generally CAN take leveling classes to enter an MS in computer science without a CS undergrad, but that looked pretty difficult. I am not super smart so I went the 2nd BS route (computer science). I got out right before the dot com bust, and every place I sent a resume called me for an interview. Of course those days are over, but it got me into a job that lasted for 10 years until I quit. That company also reimbursed part of an MS that I started since it was related to work. In my situation, my BS and potential MS field of study were very different. So while it took longer, I felt better prepared and less stressed easing into the 2nd BS instead of cramming in leveling classes that do not count toward your degree. I am still pursing the MS, however, for personal knowledge.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:35 PM

113 posts, read 448,596 times
i'm about to start a second bachelor's. after transferring most of the credits from my first degree and having a lot of gen eds taken care of, getting my second degree should only take 2.5 years at the most. i'm doing this because i have recently discovered a passion for science but do not have the necessary background to pursue a master's- i have lots of math and science to cover if i want to get my foot in the door. whatever graduate degree you choose, it's going to require some pre-requisites, perhaps a significant amount, and sometimes people have no choice but to go back for another undergraduate degree, or to take all those classes as a continuing education student. depending upon the circumstances, i might apply to grad programs before graduating with my BS, since a second degree is intended to serve as a stepping stone for grad school anyhow.

as for financial aid, it's actually not that different than with a first degree, as long as the university will take you (some schools don't accept 2nd bachelor's students, some have 2nd bachelor's programs, some will take you conditionally- personally, i had to get permission from the dean at my new college. she told me that they've had 2nd bachelor's students before that are just there so they can stay in school forever, and they try to prevent that from happening.) i didn't qualify for pell grants, but everything else was the same, including stafford loans and work study. you just have to watch out for the aggregate limits on federal loans... you could reach them pretty quickly if you already took out a lot of aid for your first degree.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:48 AM

2 posts, read 11,295 times
For me it is easier to find work - second Bachelor's degree

Can help you choose the arguments written here - Accelerated Online Degree Programs : Accelerated Bachelors Degree
Do not quote, there are many...

Quote:

What is the benefit of going for a second Bachelor's degree instead of continuing on with a Masters program in a field of study different from your undergraduate work?

Is there anybody out there with two Bachelors degrees that could tell me why they chose that route verses continuing on with graduate work.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:00 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,468,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Most people have have two BA's are doing it to avoid adulthood. There is no benefit unless you have ample time, money and aren't pursuing a career... just doing it to "broaden" yourself.
I think it depends. If they are young (18-22), first time college students and getting two or three at the same time, there is no benefit. But it is if the student is coming back later in life for a career change.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:04 AM

34,935 posts, read 36,059,633 times
If you can avoid doing the 2nd bachelors, the MS is better. If you need to complete the 2nd BS to eventually get an MS in a new area of study, then that's the route you have to take.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:45 PM

285 posts, read 864,970 times
Quote:

It depends on the field. Say you have a degree in English and you decide later that you want to be a nurse. Well, you can get another undergraduate degree and become a nurse. Getting a grad degree is optional.

On the other hand, if you take that same degree and want to become a teacher, it makes sense to just go ahead and get a grad degree.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:33 PM

402 posts, read 587,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Most people have have two BA's are doing it to avoid adulthood. There is no benefit unless you have ample time, money and aren't pursuing a career... just doing it to "broaden" yourself.
Lol. I completely agree.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:25 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,028,447 times
I am thinking about a second bachelor's as well. I have a BA in geography, and want an engineering or computer programming degree.

People who obtain a BA in liberal arts have little options for master's programs outside of the department with the exception of an MBA from what I have read. Although I think one would need a number of core business classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities