Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 10:57 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
There are plenty of careers that don't require some amazing IQ to be successful in, they require wise choices and hard work.
Willingness to work hard counts more than IQ.

Francis Crick, who was awarded with James Watson the Nobel Prize for discovering the double helix of DNA, reportedly had an IQ of just 115. 115 certainly isn't stupid but 15% of the general population, 50 million Americans out of today's population, is "smarter" but look at what he accomplished with hard work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 12:02 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,946 times
The job market sucks for new graduates because nearly EVERYTHING requires X number of years experience and most don't have that in the degree field. Most have 4-5 years of college experience over X years in the field.

Nowadays a bachelors is kind of worthless depending on the field and in most cases it's almost every field. You need something higher that will sort of compensate for the missing years experience.

4-5 years and BA in Business will get you maybe one bite in 9 months as a 22 or 23 year old graduate but 4-5 years BA and a new MBA will get the ball rolling a little better with at least 3 options to look over.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:08 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
I had never heard of fire sprinkler work he does. Maybe 100's more like it I have never heard of.
I guarantee you there are.

NICET/ACI certified concrete technicians is another example most don't know exist but if you try to tell a high school senior about it he has visions of Bubba the union member on some rolling machine at some dirty construction site when nothing could be further from the truth.

Take this job in New York state.

Quote:
High School Diploma or equivalent is required. Tech school or college degree beneficial. NICET level III certification is required.

5+ years experience as a Construction Inspector with experience on roadway projects, preferably with NYSDOT or Thruway Authority, is required. Proficient with MS Office (Word/Excel/Outlook).

Proven problem solving and documentation abilities.

Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Here's the good part. NICET III is required and from the registry as of March 23, 2011 there are exactly 22 NICET III's and 11 NICET IV's residing in the entire state of New York. Yeah, if everyone who was qualified showed up to apply there would be a line of people 33 long but seeing as how everyone is working they'll be lucky to get two qualified applicants.

They don't have pay listed but I can guarantee it is at least $60k and most likely more than $75 to $90k with full benefits.

But nobody knows about these careers much less "how to get there".

Quote:
In high school they just kept saying go to college. Most likely 95% of high school kids have no idea what they want to do.
At 18 and 19 they don't know what there is to do much less what they want to do.

So not knowing what there is to do they'll pick something that "sounds good", like "Marketing", without having a clue to what it is. What 19 year old out there can tell me what "marketing" is? Right, it's working retail at the local mall which is likely where these puppies will be working at seeing the numbers of marketing BA's being pumped out of every school in the land.

Quote:
I am sure Nicet4 did not say at 18 fire sprinkler work that is my game. He had never even heard of it.
I got lucky and was in the right spot at the right time. I was 27 years old when I was introduced to it.

Quote:
Not everybody got the IQ to be a nurse engineer or a software guy. What happens to the other 95% of the population they work retail and get food stamps. We end up like Mexico.
But you are wrong, most people do have the IQ to do these things but what they lack is motivation and work ethic to get there. I am not saying we're lazy but my IQ is high enough for me to be a medical doctor but I don't want to work that hard.

As shown on the chart lots of "average people" do some pretty amazing things. There are even some college professors who have 100 or average IQ's.

Modern IQ ranges for various occupations

Quote:
We have 1% super rich 4% have a good job and 95% get nothing. Kids should do more research into career paths. But to be real with you. What the hell do most kids know about career paths at 18? Most have worked in supermarkets or retail work.
What's a "good job"? It took me 50 years to learn a good job has not to do so much with pay but stability.

The problem is to many "kids" (at my age 23 is still a kid) graduate from college thinking that's the end of the game when the reality is it's just the beginning.
They come out of college thinking that $100,000 job is theirs when the reality is they're lucky if college taught them 25% of what they need to know to do that $100,000 job.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.... "top tier college, Yale, Harvard Business" and all that makes exceptions but 95% of college graduates didn't go to a top tier college, we went to Fresno State, and that is what most are dealing with.

If I was a high school teacher teaching seniors one of my assignments would be for each student to do a research a unique profession nobody else in the class is covering. I'd leave some out such as teaching, doctors, nurses, dentists etc that everyone already knows something about.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:29 PM

547 posts, read 939,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
The problem is to many "kids" (at my age 23 is still a kid) graduate from college thinking that's the end of the game when the reality is it's just the beginning.
They come out of college thinking that $100,000 job is theirs when the reality is they're lucky if college taught them 25% of what they need to know to do that $100,000 job.
I never thought I was entitled to 100,000 dollars a year when I graduated college. I thought I should be making more than 7.50 an hour as a seasonal cashier at Best Buy for the 2005 holiday season. At this point I would be satisfied with making 30,000 a year and earning more in the future, but I can't even land a job that pays that much. I can't even land a job that pays 10 dollars an hour because I'm overqualified.

Quote:
I'd be interested if you could provide a link to where they are claiming that the only jobs being created are low paying customer service jobs that only require a high school diploma.
Low-wage jobs dominated hiring so far in job market recovery - Jan. 31, 2011

Old 05-30-2011, 09:24 PM

26 posts, read 56,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhoyarbie View Post
I never thought I was entitled to 100,000 dollars a year when I graduated college. I thought I should be making more than 7.50 an hour as a seasonal cashier at Best Buy for the 2005 holiday season. At this point I would be satisfied with making 30,000 a year and earning more in the future, but I can't even land a job that pays that much. I can't even land a job that pays 10 dollars an hour because I'm overqualified

I know how you feel. I got turned down for a job at Target this week and they told me I was overqualified.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:38 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
I never thought I was entitled to 100,000 dollars a year when I graduated college. I thought I should be making more than 7.50 an hour as a seasonal cashier at Best Buy for the 2005 holiday season. At this point I would be satisfied with making 30,000 a year and earning more in the future, but I can't even land a job that pays that much. I can't even land a job that pays 10 dollars an hour because I'm overqualified.

Low-wage jobs dominated hiring so far in job market recovery - Jan. 31, 2011
The economy was fine for jobs in 2005. I have some sympathy for kids graduating now.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:32 PM

547 posts, read 939,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
The economy was fine for jobs in 2005. I have some sympathy for kids graduating now.
Sure it was fine for jobs in 2005. I had several jobs that paid less than 10 dollars an hour between 2005-2008. I can't find those now because they say I'm overqualified.

I wouldn't mind going back and doing a job for 10 dollars an hour.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:59 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,163 times
I'm in a Master's program (Business); and never, ever made anything near $47K (what's up with that)?

Old 06-01-2011, 02:11 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Bill Maher with his show Real Time on HBO and Marty Nemko who is a career counselor/coach who has a doctorates degree, and Arianna Huffington of the Huffington Post.

YouTube - ‪From debt to debt: US post-college survival possible?‬‏

Here's a video that shows the unemployment rate of people holding a college degree.
Do you always get your American news from russia?

anyway, some of these kids are morons. How about the kid who spent $70k to get a degree in film studies?

Old 06-01-2011, 04:49 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Frankly if you racked up 70k like some of the people in this and didn't go to an Ivy league or top 20 school you are the one to blame. Top public's still cost very little money. They made more choices and have no one but them self to blame.

There are plenty of careers where racking up 100k in debt is still a very good career move for a doctorate. NP/PA/Doctor/Engineer/Pharmacist/etc.
I COMPLETELY disagree. The cost of going to college is more than just your tuition bill....that's #1. In addition, it depends on where you live. Here in PA, college is NOT cheap; even the public schools. 4 years will cost you $50K...and that is just tuition. And that does not include the well-known schools (well at least as far as being well-known out of the state) of Pitt, Penn State, Temple, etc. Their tuition for 4 years is closer to $65K. Again that is just tuition!

In my case, I am $100K in debt. That is because my family could not contribute one cent to my college tuition bill. I worked 2 minimum wage jobs at one time because financial aid covered my tuition, rent and utilities (I lived off campus...it was cheaper)...but did not cover food, gas, and healthcare. Oh and don't worry....I drove 15 year-old junker cars; and I absolutely needed them in order to work at these retail jobs in the mall.

Do I regret my decision or am I ashamed of my debt. NOT IN THE LEAST! I was born down the street from a steel mill (so very poor area) and my family had "moved up" into the housing projects (yes...it WAS a move up believe it or not) when I graduated from high school. When people around here would see my address...I'm more than sure that the resume would go into the garbage. Who wants to hire someone who lives in the projects? But when I was able to add a college degree to my resume...it gave me a fighting chance.

Not going to college works if your family has money or if you have some connections. I'm a woman, so sorry, I'm not going the plumbing and carpenter route (call me sexist, but I have no interest in that). Besides that, at least my debt was spent on education and not cars or real estate. I know of people who lost more than $100K in the real estate bust....and now they don't have a thing to show for it.

It's all relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities