Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 05:37 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,152,086 times

Advertisements

Don't take it personal and it's not an insult, just an observation - Furman only accepts around 700 students per year (roughly 15% of applicants) and generally enroll students who don't think education is some elaborate scam ... or neglect to look at things like lifetime earnings, benefits level, job security, etc when comparing total job compensation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Yet you didn't know that anecdotal evidence is not always the norm?

A philosophy major could post, "Everyone I know who graduated with me is now working at Starbucks." Why does your anecdote take precedence over theirs?
Maybe the same reason you think there is any validity to your ancedote about a flooring guy making high six figures - the non-ancedotal facts are that the higher the degree the higher the income on average .... the gap in income levels is also great enough to easily offset any cost to obtain said education over an average life span

Old 05-17-2011, 05:40 PM

5,996 posts, read 7,063,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Nice vocabulary. You already sound formally educated.
Thank you. I have a 3.75 gpa, am in the honors program and was on the deans list at my local cc, but I am having a hard time seeing the logic, i.e. ROI in going to school for several more years. Keep in mind I am 38, so that does make a difference. I honestly think that the majority of degrees, not all, but most, are worthless.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
So....... you're a college grad, but do not know the difference between college and high school. Guess you couldn't have gotten in to Furman either.
?!?!?!?!

Artsy posted a link to a video with the title that there are more unemployed college grads than unemployed HS dropouts

that's another way of stating that there are fewer unemployed HS dropouts than unemployed college graduates

Which would infer that artsyguy is stating that it's beneficial to just drop out of HS as it's more secure than going to college - after all, there is a lower unemployment rate

As such I was asking him/her if they would advocate people just dropping out of HS and if they had to re-do their own path if they would just drop out of HS .... after all, the unemployment rate is lower than college grads

2,714 posts, read 4,267,113 times
Quote:
Yet you didn't know that anecdotal evidence is not always the norm?

A philosophy major could post, "Everyone I know who graduated with me is now working at Starbucks." Why does your anecdote take precedence over theirs?
My point is PLENTY of people are successful with their degrees. Those degrees often times lead DIRECTLY TO SUCCESS (as in my case).

How is that a scam? If people would do thorough research into their field of interest before picking a degree they wouldn't end up without a job after graduation.

Last edited by h152cc2; 05-17-2011 at 05:55 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Don't take it personal and it's not an insult, just an observation - Furman only accepts around 700 students per year (roughly 15% of applicants) and generally enroll students who don't think education is some elaborate scam ... or neglect to look at things like lifetime earnings, benefits level, job security, etc when comparing total job compensation

That's equivalent to the person that says, "Not to be rude, but....." and then says something extremely rude. As I stated, I can pretty much transfer to any college in the state, but just because I can does not mean that I should.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Thank you. I have a 3.75 gpa, am in the honors program and was on the deans list at my local cc, but I am having a hard time seeing the logic, i.e. ROI in going to school for several more years. Keep in mind I am 38, so that does make a difference. I honestly think that the majority of degrees, not all, but most, are worthless.
So why go back to school at age 38 if everything was going great with your life and career without a degree?

Old 05-17-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
That's equivalent to the person that says, "Not to be rude, but....." and then says something extremely rude. As I stated, I can pretty much transfer to any college in the state, but just because I can does not mean that I should.
No you couldn't - I don't think you realize how competative some of these places are

Remember, they only take 15 out of every 100 applicants. Also keep in mind that those applying aren't your run of the mill students. People know the general requirements and competativeness of a university. If you have a 1.5 HS GPA and scored in the lower tenth of standardized testing scores you're not going to waste the application fee or effort for Princeton.

So those are 85 candidates who all thought they had at least a fair shot who didn't make it out of every 100.

90,316 posts, read 120,300,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhoyarbie View Post
You ever been to a high school? Counselors there still tell students to major in anything they want if they like it and the jobs will simply follow. They don't do a good deal of justice to kids when they use that scenario and don't tell students what degree is being hired right now and so forth. So the kids graduate high school, go to college believing what they were told by their counselors is true, get a degree in something that doesn't give them a lot of marketable skills yet they believe they can/should get a good paying job, and end up looking for jobs months later after their friends have jobs in fields that were hiring.

If you don't believe what I just typed, then go to a local high school. The counselors still say the same b.s.

College students who are 18-20 are naive little buggers who believe anything. It doesn't come back to bite them in the you know what until they graduate college and are now trying to compete in the real world.
I don't recall anyone giving my kids that advice. In fact, I don't recall them giving any advice at all regarding choice of a college major.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
What experience? You mean getting so hammered out of your mind you probably wont remember it anyways? That is pretty much what the "college experience" amounts to. You get four free years to party your arse off without any real consequences, because if you do in the real world it can permanently damage your life and career. Most people who go to college for the "experience" go because they are spoiled and want to delay real adulthood i.e. have the freedom of an adult without the responsibility. The rest go because it has pretty much become a necessity for all but the most basic of career fields.
Oh, come on.

I'll take this over youtube.

Table A-4. Employment status of the civilian population 25 years and over by educational attainment

HS dropout 14.7%; HS, no college 9.7%; Some college or assos. degree 7.5%; Bachelor's degree and higher 4.5%. As of April 2011

The numbers have changed but the order is consistent for the past year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
No need to be condescending.

My point is PLENTY of people are successful with their degrees. Those degrees often times lead DIRECTLY TO SUCCESS (as in my case).

How is that a scam? If people would do thorough research into their field of interest before picking a degree they wouldn't end up without a job after graduation.
I apologize. Yes, you are correct, plenty of people are successful, but have you taken the time to sit down and crunch the numbers? How much were they in debt when they finished school? How much did they make with their degree for the first year? Are they even in the field that they received their degree in? How long did it take to no longer be "upside down?" No one looks at these things, they just blindly go to college, get themselves in a ton of debt and begin life owing money, all because they're told that's what they are supposed to do. As someone else alluded to, you could get a job right outta high school making 25K and within 10 years have close to a 1/4 of a million dollars to invest however you see fit, all without owing any debt to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities