Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 10:17 AM

84 posts, read 142,801 times

Advertisements

I wanted to start a new thread on the discussion of Higher Education in the RDU area. There seems to be consensus in this forum that the for-profit colleges and schools in the RDU area are inferior to the more traditional colleges and universities. Some have associated them with Diploma mills and others have suggested that they do not meet the standard for Higher Education.

Can someone provide me evidence that the for-profit colleges and schools in the RDU area are of a lesser quality than the state run or private institutions in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 10:29 AM

49 posts, read 91,354 times
I assume you're talking about schools like Strayer? My biggest concern when I looked into going back to school was whether I could transfer credits if I decided to go somewhere else and cost. A friend of mine attends Strayer and it's very expensive compared to schools in the UNC system. I don't know how her quality of education is in comparison to mine, but I do know that I paid significantly less for school and my credits will transfer if I decide to change careers.

What field of study? I think that probably makes a big difference as well.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:29 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,596,866 times
I work fairly close to RDU. . . . on Airport Blvd, and I've seen these near my office.

Pfeiffer University
Strayer University
Devry University

A Google search also shows:

University of Phoenix in Brier Creek
Mt Olive College on S Miami in RTP

and a few others fairly close to RDU airport. . . . .

Old 06-03-2011, 10:34 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,830,538 times
Since the issue of public vs. for-profit schools isn't really a local issue, I'm moving this to the Education forum.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:24 AM

735 posts, read 1,584,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csbjornstad View Post
I wanted to start a new thread on the discussion of Higher Education in the RDU area. There seems to be consensus in this forum that the for-profit colleges and schools in the RDU area are inferior to the more traditional colleges and universities. Some have associated them with Diploma mills and others have suggested that they do not meet the standard for Higher Education.

Can someone provide me evidence that the for-profit colleges and schools in the RDU area are of a lesser quality than the state run or private institutions in the area?
WHYWHYWHY ???

Here is evidence sir: I have to hire two employees with similar experience and one with the same degree at a traditional vs. a said for-profit. Hands down the traditional degree is going to win. I have family and MANY friends in management who feel the same.

Said for-profit schools carry the stigma that you went there to get a degree because you did not have what it takes to get a "real" degree that requires real studying, home work, HARD WORK, and dedication the traditional colleges require and are now straddled with massive amounts of bogus debt.

Here are two articles (videos) from CBS about your beloved said for-profit colleges:

For-Profit Colleges Under Fire - CBS News Video
Gov't cracks down on "for-profit" schools - CBS News Video

Old 06-03-2011, 12:43 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,687,619 times
I worked at a 'career college' last year and start a new job at one in RDU next week.

In the 'college' I worked at we had a constant struggle to balance the need to keep enrollment up to maintain profitability and provide services to students who could barely read, get themselves to class, behave appropriately, etc. There were plenty of students who WERE capable! The accreditation standards for these schools are very strict. Unfortunately, the one where I worked went to great lengths to fool the accreditors (one of the reasons I left is I was told to give false information). They failed to provide technology or tech support. Staff turnover was ridiculously high. It was a poorly run business and I was glad to be done with them.

HOWEVER: the school where I am starting to work is a much larger business with many campuses. So they have the overhead to provide adequate facilities, technologies and training and benefits. The director was aware of the conflict of profit v. student need and was very clear that student need was our priority.

As for the cost...most of their students use financial aid and many have no idea how much those student loans will end up costing them. But they pay nothing out of pocket so it seems like a good idea. It IS expensive

I would recommend it for the right student with a career goal that matched the program available. (many of these offer associates degrees) But if the same associates degree were available at community college, I would go for the community college.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:32 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,180,246 times
Here's a REALLY good documentary explaining the issue:

Watch The Full Program Online | College, Inc. | FRONTLINE | PBS

Plenty of traditional four-year schools have online programs. When you get your degree, it will have the name of THAT school, not "UNC Online University". I'd go that route before I attended a for-profit school. It's probably cheaper, too.

I heard from a hiring manager that traditional school grads will win out over for-profit schools as well.

These schools are extremely expensive, and many of them engage in unethical practices.

For "career colleges" that the above poster mentions, most of the programs are offered at a community college, and those credits can transfer to a four-year college in many instances. An aquaintance attended a such school to be a surgical tech. It was ridiculously expensive for some college credits that she can't transfer. Now she is talking about going to nursing school. So she basically wasted two years of her life.

Unfortunately, this is the "thing" to do with all of my friends in my age range (late 20s/early 30s). They are going to these for-profit schools for Master's--one even for her Ph.D--in DROVES. One friend is $100,000 in debt, with few job prospects.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorfan63 View Post
WHYWHYWHY ???

Here is evidence sir: I have to hire two employees with similar experience and one with the same degree at a traditional vs. a said for-profit. Hands down the traditional degree is going to win. I have family and MANY friends in management who feel the same.

Said for-profit schools carry the stigma that you went there to get a degree because you did not have what it takes to get a "real" degree that requires real studying, home work, HARD WORK, and dedication the traditional colleges require and are now straddled with massive amounts of bogus debt.

Here are two articles (videos) from CBS about your beloved said for-profit colleges:

For-Profit Colleges Under Fire - CBS News Video
Gov't cracks down on "for-profit" schools - CBS News Video
Because. Because. Because I like to correct people's erroneous beliefs about the for profit industry.

Those who turn away potential job applicants who attended non-traditional schools are fools. They should not be judge on the merit of where they went to school, rather on their competencies and abilities to do the job.

Traditional universities are a joke in that they waste a student's time and money forcing students to take useless liberal arts courses.
I would rather hire a graduate of a program who has had more experience working on courses in their field versus those who can speak french or talk about rocks.

I have seen the videos before, they highlight some of the bad apples in the industry, but it is not representive all of for-profits.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:05 PM

735 posts, read 1,584,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csbjornstad View Post
Because. Because. Because I like to correct people's erroneous beliefs about the for profit industry.

Those who turn away potential job applicants who attended non-traditional schools are fools. They should not be judge on the merit of where they went to school, rather on their competencies and abilities to do the job.

Traditional universities are a joke in that they waste a student's time and money forcing students to take useless liberal arts courses.
I would rather hire a graduate of a program who has had more experience working on courses in their field versus those who can speak french or talk about rocks.

I have seen the videos before, they highlight some of the bad apples in the industry, but it is not representive all of for-profits.
You either (A) recruit for the for-profit universities(?) or graduated from one and are trying to fit in.. or just somebody who tries to bate and hook a argument so I will make this brief.

I'm for-profit. Bank of America tacks atrocious fees and has among the worse customer service of any company in the USA. The idiots are the ones paying the fees and taking the poor customer service. Just like UoP, if you are paying in the 35k+ annual range for your "professional " degree then, just like the BofA idiots, you fall right in. I don't think any less of you, it is your life! But would I hire you with hundreds of applications passing my way with twice the qualifications, experience, and a degree from a well respected university (or even a community college) .. Hell no.

EDIT: Let's not forget that this is based on the Raleigh/Durham/RTP (or RDU as you keep referring it to) area. Maybe other parts in the country accept it for what it is not. I don't care about other parts of the country, I care about my local area and local hires and since there are plenty of people needing/wanting jobs in this area. . I am in luck.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorfan63 View Post
You either (A) recruit for the for-profit universities(?) or graduated from one and are trying to fit in.. or just somebody who tries to bate and hook a argument so I will make this brief.

I'm for-profit. Bank of America tacks atrocious fees and has among the worse customer service of any company in the USA. The idiots are the ones paying the fees and taking the poor customer service. Just like UoP, if you are paying in the 35k+ range for your "professional " degree then, just like the BofA idiots, you fall right in. I don't think any less of you, it is your life! But would I hire you with hundreds of applications passing my way with twice the qualifications, experience, and a degree from a well respected university (or even a community college) .. Hell no.

EDIT: Let's not forget that this is based on the Raleigh/Durham/RTP (or RDU as you keep referring it to) area. Maybe other parts in the country accept it for what it is not. I don't care about other parts of the country, I care about my local area and local hires and since there are plenty of people needing/wanting jobs in this area. . I am in luck.
I am not sure what my role has to do with this discussion. I am trying have a discussion on for-profits and you are disparaging me for it? Bate and hook an argument? What is so wrong with engaging an healthy discussion. Don't respond if you are feeling bated and hooked.

And why do you keep smacking yourself? Are you frustrated because you don't understand my thread and are having difficulties rebuking my position?

I stopped using RDU...I get it.

The future of higher education is changing and soon it wont matter where a person graduated. Fortunatley, the for profits understand the complexities of this changing landscape and are adapting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities