Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 08:27 PM

326 posts, read 764,718 times

Advertisements

My son is going to major in Computer Science. He also wants to double major either in Chemical Engineering or Electrical Engineering.

We were told that he has to make the decision on the orientation, but we don't know anything or anyone working in those areas. Does anyone here know about those fields in terms of future job potentials? Also, is EE closer to Computer Science in terms of classes, therefore he can finish college faster than doubling Chemical Engineering?

I appreciate any input and suggestions. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 09:09 PM

682 posts, read 2,423,007 times
What does he want to do, or rather, what's his dream job? My brother got his degree in ChemE and ended up working in semiconductor manufacturing (his goal). Several of his classmates ended up in the oil industry or chemical distribution and development (e.g. think places like DOW, 3M, etc.). Interestingly my uncle was an EE major, and he worked at the same company as my brother doing very similar work.

There are still jobs available to engineers, but he must be willing to relocate to find the job. He will need to take advantage of the connections he makes at school, go to school sponsored job fairs, etc., which is where companies do most of their entry-level hiring.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:47 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,161,747 times
Obviously one's interest/aptitude/abilities and particular caliber of college are major considerations

That said, today, suspect greatest income and wealth creation potentials are for those kids who secure $200K/yr starting jobs as software engineers at an Apple or Google, excel and move on to whatever is latest/greatest start-up (and unfortunately EE and hardware engg career opps haven't created much wealth in past 10+ yrs)

Oil&gas can be interesting, but aside from a few entrepreneurial pipeline guys, oil&gas is not known for enabling much wealth creation among PetrolE or ChemE grads of past 20yrs...

Old 06-08-2011, 01:02 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls88 View Post
My son is going to major in Computer Science. He also wants to double major either in Chemical Engineering or Electrical Engineering.

We were told that he has to make the decision on the orientation, but we don't know anything or anyone working in those areas. Does anyone here know about those fields in terms of future job potentials? Also, is EE closer to Computer Science in terms of classes, therefore he can finish college faster than doubling Chemical Engineering?

He should probably lean towards what interests him, and what he sees as likely jobs he might like to do in the future..... but if I were to offer a little advice for whatever it is worth, EE (electrical engineering) goes much better with computer science than chemical engineering does.

EE and CS are very much intertwined in many ways, and the skills for one tend to heavily tie in with the other. And yes, the classes between the two tend to be very closely related as a general rule, more so than with CE.

Chemical engineering can have some degree of cross-over to CS (and the pay is purportedly among the best for engineering.... I think the pay hedges out EE by a little bit in the usual statistics if I recall correctly), but unless your son has some desire to get into some really esoteric fields like manufacturing semiconductors or something, I'd tell him to go EE.

I really can't emphasize enough just how closely related EE and CS are. The best fit, however, is based on what specific "dream jobs" your son wants to have in the future, what fields (very specifically) interest him. It could be that CE fits better for his desires future job or fields of research, but as a general rule.... go EE... and you won't be steered in the wrong direction.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:33 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,865,527 times
Quote:
That said, today, suspect greatest income and wealth creation potentials are for those kids who secure $200K/yr starting jobs as software engineers at an Apple or Google, excel and move on to whatever is latest/greatest start-up (and unfortunately EE and hardware engg career opps haven't created much wealth in past 10+ yrs)
True but I think EE has lots of potential that is often overlooked, even playing in the startup factors. The major driver of EE, "growth" is going to come from robotics. I haven't seen much interesting startups in this area even though the potential is HUGE. Lots of stuff today is made with human labor. There is huge potential for robotic labor to replace human labor.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:27 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
He should probably lean towards what interests him, and what he sees as likely jobs he might like to do in the future..... but if I were to offer a little advice for whatever it is worth, EE (electrical engineering) goes much better with computer science than chemical engineering does.

That was my first thought. EE seems like it would be a better fit with computer science than Chem E.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:50 AM

286 posts, read 699,470 times
If he is determined to do two fields, he should get a major in Electrical Engineering and a minor in computer science.

An EE won't be looked at unfavorably when applying to CS jobs. OTOH, a CS applying to most EE jobs will be looked at unfavorably. Plus, the EE opens the door to a professional license, which is lifelong job security.

Spending an extra year to get a double major in CS and EE is a waste of time and money. He should either graduate on time and not face the added 80k+ of economic costs. Or he should go on to a graduate program. Don't waste time at the undergraduate level, particularly in rapidly changing fields like EE and CS.

CS will likely face continued job pressures--rapidly antiquated skill-sets, kids who can self-learn entire undergrad curriculums for free, off-shoring, increasing role of automation, etc. Still a very good field though. A good software developer will always have a job in one form or another.

EE will have a greater variety of job oppurtunities--from working on airplanes to an increasing role in medicine.

Last edited by mcredux; 06-08-2011 at 09:01 AM..

Old 06-08-2011, 08:54 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Oil&gas can be interesting, but aside from a few entrepreneurial pipeline guys, oil&gas is not known for enabling much wealth creation among PetrolE or ChemE grads of past 20yrs...
Hm...

Highest Paying Undergrad Degrees (Starting Salary)
Petroleum Engineering = $93,000/year
Chemical Engineering = $64,800/year
Electrical Engineering = $60,800/year

Mid Career Pay
Petroleum Engineering = $157,000/year
Chemical Engineering = $108,000/year
Electrical Engineering = $104,000/year

Best Undergrad College Degrees By Salary

That's base pay, not even including bonuses and stock options.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:18 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls88 View Post

Not being a technical person I hesitate to even post here, but I think that an electrical engineer has more options for work in more places. That said, I know a few extremely successful chemical engineers in the petrochem/oil & gas service industries.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:34 PM

326 posts, read 764,718 times
Thank you all for the great input!!

He loves working with computers, but he is worried that too many computer jobs are sent overseas when he graduates in 4 years. He wants to get a second major that he can fall back on in case computer jobs become hard to find.

We thought double major was a good idea because he would have advantages if he has another major - his computer knowledge can be tied to a particular industry.

Thank you again for all the wonderful comments.

Last edited by cls88; 06-08-2011 at 07:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities