Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should colleges/universities refund application fees to candidates who aren't accepted?
Yes, all schools 19 20.43%
Yes, but only public schools 4 4.30%
Yes, but only private schools 0 0%
No 70 75.27%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:40 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,291 times

Advertisements

No, it should not be refunded. If you aren't serious about getting into a school, don't apply. If you get rejected to every school you apply to then maybe you should rethink your application strategy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 04:56 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Since the internet has taken hold the college application process is very streamlined and really not all that difficult any longer. Fees are really not all that bad, many schools don't charge an application fee for online applications too. Those that do give pause to some students that may be applying just to apply. You know going into the game that there will most likely be a fee-$25-50 usually. Individually they are not all that expensive but collectively they add up. It is somewhat of a deterrent and no, I don't think they should be refunded if a student doesn't get in. There is time and expense on the college's side to process each and every application. That is what the fee is for.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:57 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,682 times
Goodness. People can be very presumptious on CD. I didn't vote, but I posted yes. And yes, I did get into college. I thought that the money should be refunded so it could go to another use. The money that I used sending an application to another college could have been used for paying for books. But I am a cheap person anyways...so.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:12 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
Goodness. People can be very presumptious on CD. I didn't vote, but I posted yes. And yes, I did get into college. I thought that the money should be refunded so it could go to another use. The money that I used sending an application to another college could have been used for paying for books. But I am a cheap person anyways...so.
The fees can be very expensive and add up. The educational costs at universities in the USA are obscene.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:54 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
When I was a senior in high school, it was typical for a student to apply to four, or perhaps six, schools tops (one reach, one safety, and then two to four matches). These days, at least according to Internet forums and boards, teenagers are applying to 10, 11, 15+ colleges with five or six of those being reaches, "Just because you never know if you don't apply".

I can understand the sentiment of wanting a refund for a dejected admittance decision, I've been there. Then again, I knew full well that I was taking a chance by applying, and basically kissed that money good-bye.

It's just ridiculous to think that a school should give the money back. College is not a birth-right. Everyone applies on their own accord.

Do you think you should receive a refund if you do not win the Lottery? I mean, the Lottery sure does go out of its way "promising" that someone, you, will be a winner if you play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I don't think a return of fee would result in a rise in applications. College applications still take an enormous amount of time to complete, and for many students the fee is the least of their concerns.
I agree in part, but many kids just cut/paste information from one app to another, even though they should taylor each application to the specific school.

Besides, who is paying the fee? The 18 year old, or their parents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
The fees can be very expensive and add up. The educational costs at universities in the USA are obscene.
As stated, no one is forced to apply to any university in the U.S. And, if the application fee is a burden, many universities offer application-fee waivers.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:13 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Horrible idea, fail, etc.

First, it would be unfair for the people who actually did get accepted, and paid the fee.

Second, the cost of tuition would have to be adjusted because something would ultimately have to cover the cost of processing all of the applications from people who weren't even paying to have their application viewed.

Third, application fees are an investment in a student's future. Without application fees, schools would be flooded with applications from students who had no hope of ever being accepted. This would be expensive, time consuming, and unfair to legitimate candidates.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:15 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
Anyone who voted yes to this question is an idiot.
Correct.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:29 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
When I was a senior in high school, it was typical for a student to apply to four, or perhaps six, schools tops (one reach, one safety, and then two to four matches). These days, at least according to Internet forums and boards, teenagers are applying to 10, 11, 15+ colleges with five or six of those being reaches, "Just because you never know if you don't apply".

I can understand the sentiment of wanting a refund for a dejected admittance decision, I've been there. Then again, I knew full well that I was taking a chance by applying, and basically kissed that money good-bye.

It's just ridiculous to think that a school should give the money back. College is not a birth-right. Everyone applies on their own accord.

Do you think you should receive a refund if you do not win the Lottery? I mean, the Lottery sure does go out of its way "promising" that someone, you, will be a winner if you play.

I agree in part, but many kids just cut/paste information from one app to another, even though they should taylor each application to the specific school.

Besides, who is paying the fee? The 18 year old, or their parents?

As stated, no one is forced to apply to any university in the U.S. And, if the application fee is a burden, many universities offer application-fee waivers.
I simply think the costs are outrageous here, especially when using an ounce of context and comparing to most developed or emerging countries. It is such a deplorable state that the business model has infected institutes of higher learning and that even so-called public universities are charging more than many foreign private universities. I think the combination of high cost and loan system is antithetical to the purpose of university.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:29 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Horrible idea, fail, etc.

First, it would be unfair for the people who actually did get accepted, and paid the fee.

Second, the cost of tuition would have to be adjusted because something would ultimately have to cover the cost of processing all of the applications from people who weren't even paying to have their application viewed.

Third, application fees are an investment in a student's future. Without application fees, schools would be flooded with applications from students who had no hope of ever being accepted. This would be expensive, time consuming, and unfair to legitimate candidates.
Maybe it should be the other way around and those that got accepted get a refund of the fee if they attend .

Old 06-12-2011, 08:26 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
I simply think the costs are outrageous here, especially when using an ounce of context and comparing to most developed or emerging countries. It is such a deplorable state that the business model has infected institutes of higher learning and that even so-called public universities are charging more than many foreign private universities. I think the combination of high cost and loan system is antithetical to the purpose of university.
Universities in other countries, in particular Europe, are catching up to the U.S. (not all European countries/states/universities are free. And those that are generally come at the cost of high income taxes), maybe not as fast, but many changes are being made that will dramatically increase the cost of attending university.

Another thing to consider are average salaries and taxes. Just because the cost of higher education is cheaper in another country does not mean it is cheaper over-all for a resident of that country when you factor in wages and how much of their income goes towards taxes.

Besides, this thread is about application fees and whether or not they should be refunded if the student is denied admittance. There are plenty (emphasis on plenty) of other treads in this Forum discussing the high-cost of tuition in America.

Removing the application fee, or offering a refund if denied, would cause an increase in applications for many universities across the country. Why? Because the application fee is the check-and-balance of sorts for college admission in that it prevents students from applying to an asinine number of colleges/universities. Too many students these days are already applying to too many reaches (the buckshot effect). If applying was free, that number would increase. I mean, if you applied to every top school in the U.S., surely one would say yes, right

As Golfgal mentioned, some universities offer to remove the application fee if the student applies on-line. And, as I stated previously, many universities offer an application-fee waiver.

But, the bottom line is that if you do not want to waste your money, then don't apply. Then again, would you be wasting your money if you thought you actually had a chance with a particular school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities