Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 04:58 PM

5 posts, read 8,778 times

Advertisements

I know it's just an online forum, but I still wanted to ask this question. I'm thinking about getting my Master's degree abroad. It's Computer Science. Spain, France, or the U.K. I found several programs that are taught in English, so that's not an issue. I know you probably should get your degree in the country you will work and live, but I still want to do it. Any input/opinions? I don't think there would be any disadvantage. Just that there might be an employer who won't know what to do with it... But, that would be the same if you wanted to get your degree here and work somewhere else. You obviously have to pick one country where you get your degree from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 06:39 AM

738 posts, read 2,956,082 times
Are you referring to attending an international school, or living abroad while working on a degree online?

Several US schools have active partnerships with international schools and programs. When I was at Va Tech, they had partnerships with schools in Germany and Sweden. Duke has programs, and even campuses, located internationally. That's just two examples of schools I'm familiar with, almost every major university has similar programs.

So if you're somewhat unsure of earning a degree from an international school, try to find a study abroad program or school with international campuses. One of the really awesome aspects of the Va Tech programs (this was mechanical engineering) were that you studied one year in the US and one year overseas, and you actually earned 2 masters at the end of the program- one from each school respectively.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:25 PM

Hey. No, I'm talking about just going there and enrolling. No exchange programs and the-like.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:53 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,821,659 times
Things to consider when considering a degree abroad:

• Will your degree be recognized in your home country?
  • How transferable are the skills you'll be learning? (A law degree from another country won't do you much good back home)
  • How much will it cost? Some countries have high tuition fees, others have none.
  • What kind of scholarships are available?
  • What is the cost of living in the candiate country?
  • Will you pick up another language and useful cultural skills?
  • What does your alternative look like? I.e. how good and expensive is the university you can afford at home?

Pick a country where you will not mind spending the rest of your life, because despite plans to the coutrary, many foregin students end up expatriating.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:13 PM

Thank you. I'm a U.S. Citizen, so home country is the U.S. Like I said, it's computer science. I was a little worried about it first, but considering all the people who have foreign degrees coming here to work, I should be fine. I am not so worried about everything else, though.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:43 PM

166 posts, read 229,795 times
I know you have already found some programs, but Find Master's Studies in Europe - MastersPortal.eu is a good website. It allows you to search for programs (in English) all over Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities