U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 09:16 PM

5,262 posts, read 8,267,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
First let me congratulate you on your decision to return to school! I think obtaining an associate degree first was a good choice for you because it was a more managable goal. And you did it!

Everyone has heard of IU - especially the Bloomington campus, and if you were competing in a market such as Chicago LA or NY, name recognition would be important. Does Baker have any reputation - good or bad in Indiana? Is this the only college that offers an online degree in your field?

From reading what you wrote, it seems that you are not thrilled with the prospect of attending IU -and for some pretty good reasons. It will take another year, the nieghborhood is not safe and parking is difficult. Also you mentioned a Math requirement. Math can be a formidable obstacle for returning student. And my guess is that it's not your favorite subject.

I have never heard of Baker, but if it has your major and suits your needs it might not be a bad choice.
Also, have you looked into other online colleges? If there are none with similar programs, then from what you have told me, I would chose Baker.
Thank you for the compliments. I live 2 hrs from Chicago so it could be possible to look for work there but the commute would be hell and with a settled family, a move is not in the cards. Part of my problem is I live by Notre Dame, Purdue, IU, Holy Cross and a host of other religious private colleges. Baker is not really heard of here however the closest campus is 2 hrs away. I went on one job interview a while back and the woman interviewing me said she never heard of Baker and jumped on the computer to look it up like I was lying. That was annoying. The flip side is that she was kind of ignorant and after getting the job (I did get it) she made a lot of comments about how she obtained her position without a college education at all. Then bragged about her HS daughter that would be going on to college to become a doctor. The job was temporary but with her looking up my school right away got me thinking if this would something that would happen a lot. People thinking I made up my education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 12:08 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,147,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
The acceptance rate at IU-South Bend is 80% as well as IU-bloomington. Is that kind of high?
It depends on who they are admitting. Michigan has a higher acceptance rate (around 50%), but the median GPA and standardized test scores of those whom they admit are typically well above the average. I think the median high school GPA for students admitted to UM-Ann Arbor is around 3.5 or higher. ACT might be around 28.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:30 PM

11,102 posts, read 9,765,977 times
Well I looked up Baker as well and it is completely legitimate. Accredited by the North Central Association, not for profit, and it's been around for 100 years.

I see nothing wrong with Baker. No it's not famous, but it seems fine to suit your needs. You will get in and get out without the hassle of an extra 2 or so years, and a bad neighborhood and a math class that you do not want or need.

I would prefer a Baker grad to someone from University if Phoenix. Or a crazy religious school like Bob Jones or Oral Roberts.

Hiring was once my job and if I was not a college that I knew I always checked. So I would not take that personally. I also checked if it was a college that I HAD heard of, because you might be surprised at how many people claim that they have graduated, but have not.

Locally, people will know that South Bend is not Bloomington. There are satellite campus of the IU system. We have that here in PA. You might bask in the reflected glory if you were out of area, but not within.

I would still go with Baker.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:16 PM

5,262 posts, read 8,267,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Well I looked up Baker as well and it is completely legitimate. Accredited by the North Central Association, not for profit, and it's been around for 100 years.

I see nothing wrong with Baker. No it's not famous, but it seems fine to suit your needs. You will get in and get out without the hassle of an extra 2 or so years, and a bad neighborhood and a math class that you do not want or need.

I would prefer a Baker grad to someone from University if Phoenix. Or a crazy religious school like Bob Jones or Oral Roberts.

Hiring was once my job and if I was not a college that I knew I always checked. So I would not take that personally. I also checked if it was a college that I HAD heard of, because you might be surprised at how many people claim that they have graduated, but have not.

Locally, people will know that South Bend is not Bloomington. There are satellite campus of the IU system. We have that here in PA. You might bask in the reflected glory if you were out of area, but not within.

I would still go with Baker.
Thank you for the researched reply. I couldn't rep you again. I am leaning toward Baker but still unsure. I have a little more time to think it over. If I was younger I would probably be more keen on going with IU but at my age (that feels weird saying that lol) the reality is the more debt I take on, the more of a concern it is paying it back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities