Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 12:28 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by superrupe View Post
Good evening,

I recently received a Bachelors of Applied Science from Washburn University in Topeka, KS. I am looking at applying to North Carolina State University, to peruse a Masters of Geospatial Information Science and Technology. The only problem I see is it is completely online. My question is how does an online degree look to potential employers. I'm not talking of University of Phoenix or ITT Tech, but actual state schools with legitimate accreditation. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Up until last year I worked for a large NASA contractor. They would reimburse you for online degrees if it was directly related to your job. Now I am sure you could not just choose any online school, but I knew a few people who were reimbursed for an online masters from a nearby state college. One guy was reimbursed for an online masters from a branch of the U Colorado, and we are in Houston. So obviously they did value certain online degrees. It really depends on what your employer is looking for. I would expect that most employers would respect most online programs from well established bricks-and-mortar universities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 02:57 PM

168 posts, read 338,253 times
I know a lot of people get into accreditation and that has its place. But certain schools have a stigma attached. It is impossible to predict exactly how your degree will be received but if you stick to schools that have good reputations and good programs, you will be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities