Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 07:42 AM

769 posts, read 2,050,006 times

Advertisements

Just don't expect to get a job at the Big 4, any large banks, Thomson Reuters, Metlife, GE, etc and you'll be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 08:30 AM

463 posts, read 1,052,294 times
If you have 5+ years of real experience, i don't think companies will care much about where you got your degree. If they still do, flip them, they are not worth dealing with anyway

Old 06-20-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewas View Post
If you have 5+ years of real experience, i don't think companies will care much about where you got your degree. If they still do, flip them, they are not worth dealing with anyway
In NYC they do. Why would they choose someone that went to USF when they have NYU, Columbia, and Cornell graduates applying? Not all employers see it this way but the larger/more prestigious ones do. That's why the OP just has to apply for the jobs that those people are likely not applying for.

Even then, employers in NYC do not like to hire people that don't live there. This is because NYC is SO different from most other cities in the US that they're afraid the candidate will not like it or will not financially survive and will leave.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:56 AM

I understand when employee are looking to hire local person, it's fairly legit. As for degree, at least in my field, the college education is not make or break. In year 1 in the industry i learned so much more information about how to do my job than any college could provide. The degree is kinda useless after few years of experience.
Maybe accounting is different. I don't know

Old 06-20-2011, 01:56 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,659,779 times
I would not worry about it. I have lived in the north my whole life, I lived in CT, NYC, and Vermont. A degree from an accredited school is good anywhere. As an example, my sister worked for Bear Stearns when they were still around in NYC. She had a community college degree and worked her way up to VP of the editorial Department. To say your degree or anyone elses degree is worthless is bull. I have worked with Ivy league educated people and people with non-ivy league educations. There are idiots who come from both. In medicine we have book smart people and clinically smart people. To make it easy, which one would you rather take care of you or your family.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:47 AM

794 posts, read 1,859,587 times
It's not the education......it's the work ethic. And from what I am seeing here in the Tampa area after working 25 years on Wall Street, if your work ethic and pace are not up to snuff, you will be eaten alive.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:50 AM

It's easy to say where you went to college doesn't matter until you start looking for jobs up there. A lot of the good finance/accounting jobs explicitly require degrees from top business schools.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
It's easy to say where you went to college doesn't matter until you start looking for jobs up there. A lot of the good finance/accounting jobs explicitly require degrees from top business schools.
Which is sad because education gives you tools that you can use to perform your job. After few years of hands on experience you should have same tools and your peers from top universities, given you were performing similar jobs. I think it's just silly that people give more weight to 5+ year old paper rather than recent experience.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:03 PM

407 posts, read 388,500 times
It's unfair that employers put any emphasis on the school but unfortunately they do. See my response in the other identical thread you posted on the Florida forum.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:16 PM

100 posts, read 367,016 times
You should do fine with an MBA degree from USF. When I lived in the Boston area, I knew a guy who went to USF and he was in a pretty good position at a Fortune 500 Company.

Recruiters are more likely to look at your overall package (education, prior experience, personality, etc.) and USF is an accredited university with decent recognition. So don't worry too much about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities