Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 07:59 AM

155 posts, read 291,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
People have given you links a million times in other threads.
Yes, we have discussed quality, but lying to potential students is a whole new ballgame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 09:10 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katet View Post
Can you be a little more specific to which schools are more likely to "lie to your face". If you know of a school/campus that has misled its students then this would be more helpful to the OP than lumping all online schools into one group.
"Recruiters at for-profit colleges lied to entice students and encouraged them to commit fraud to qualify for aid, a report by the Government Accountability Office found. Recruiters at all 15 colleges studied by the GAO, Congress's investigational arm, misled potential students about the costs, duration and quality of their programs, according to a report obtained by Bloomberg News that will be released today.

The 30-page report said recruiters at four of the colleges encouraged fraud on loan applications, without identifying the institutions. The Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, which commissioned the report, will hold a hearing today to examine the tactics that for-profit colleges use to recruit students and coach them to apply for financial aid.
"College representatives exaggerated undercover applicants' potential salary after graduation and failed to provide clear information about the college's program duration, costs, or graduation rate," the report said. "Admissions staff used other deceptive practices, such as pressuring applicants to sign a contract for enrollment before allowing them to speak to a financial advisor about program cost and financing options.""
Source1 and
Source2

Old 06-25-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Yes, we have discussed quality, but lying to potential students is a whole new ballgame.
It's not online programs that are the problem, but for-profits.

YouTube - ‪For-Profit College Investigation - ABC Undercover Report‬‏

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-25-2011 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: removed rude comment

Old 06-25-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
"Recruiters at for-profit colleges lied to entice students and encouraged them to commit fraud to qualify for aid, a report by the Government Accountability Office found.
That report was full of discrepancies and discarded as an unreliable source. Try again...which schools have lied to potential students?

Old 06-25-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
That report was full of discrepancies and discarded as an unreliable source. Try again...which schools have lied to potential students?
They have them on vid from UoP. It's just a few posts up. The CEO of UoP admits it.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-25-2011 at 09:17 PM..

Old 07-13-2011, 05:45 PM

32 posts, read 62,763 times
I just found out today that Lincoln College does offer the full HIT program online and is AHIMA accredited as well. Now, I have to make a decision which one to go with. I am pretty much in the enrollment phase with Devry, but I have still not signed any papers committing myself to their school. Decisions, decisions.

Also, Lincoln College of New England is regionally accredited which is better than Devry's accreditation which is The Higher Learning Commission. http://www.ncahlc.org/
Lincoln College is a lot more expensive though, but it might be worth it in the end if it is looked at a little better than Devry.

Last edited by Buttercup215; 07-13-2011 at 06:06 PM..

Old 07-13-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup215 View Post
I just found out today that Lincoln College does offer the full HIT program online and is AHIMA accredited as well. Now, I have to make a decision which one to go with. I am pretty much in the enrollment phase with Devry, but I have still not signed any papers committing myself to their school. Decisions, decisions.
Ask for a list of their instructors who are currently teaching...then google them to find out their reputation on their respective industries. If the campus does not provide you a list, let them know that they are required by law to disclose that type of information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities