Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 09:07 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,094,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Siobhan View Post
What I have observed from him and other people who have only experienced online education is that they are not developing a depth of analytical and persuasive argument skills that I believe you build when sitting in a classroom. He and I attended a training at work and he was having a difficult time keeping up with the pace of the training and he was easily frustrated by live interaction from the instructor. He is one example, yes, but I have learned that other people have had a difficult time transitioning from the online classroom into a brick and mortar school.
Everyone has a different learning style. I've take many online classes at the community college level that are manageable for me. I couldn't do something like Math online though. I can understand his frustration by a live training...some folks are more introverted and feel more comfortable doing coursework at their own pace. I'm much more introverted and prefer not to engage in discussion during class but online, I feel much more comfortable doing so. Sometimes folks feel the pace of online instruction is too slow or too fast. With online, you can always press the back or pause button. Did he participate in discussion boards with his online classes? A co worker is doing her Master's online and it is heavy with discussion board responses and she enjoys it immensely. Online classes are not for everyone and the classes are not all created equal.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:28 PM

436 posts, read 1,345,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup215 View Post
What about employers that aren't willing to pay people with higher education? I have heard so many people say that can't find a job because they are "over qualified." Employers don't want to pay people what they are worth so they don't hire them. With unemployment so high, people with MBAs, PhDs, and bachelors are competing for the same jobs.
It's not what you're worth. It's what the job you want is worth. Honestly, at some point, most jobs max out. So if someone with 20 years experience isn't necessarily going to make oodles more than someone with 10 years experience in many fields. That's just the way life works.

I'd rather have someone with a Bachelors and great experience than someone with a MBA but limited experience. Every time I talk with someone who, for instance, wants to interview for a management position with limited experience and a MBA, I just do a V-8 smack. (These are phone interviews...they can't see me. Hopefully, they can't hear the smack. ) That piece of paper alone doesn't make you an automatic manager of people. Sorry, it just doesn't. I have a Masters and I don't have such snotty expectations.

Happened the other day... Me: That's very nice that you have a MBA but we're looking for someone who has managed multiple locations and numerous staff." Candidate: "But I have a MBA." Me: "I have an advanced degree too and I"m not qualified for this position either."

Old 07-26-2011, 06:07 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,574,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
And when I say that, I don't mean for profits. The one thing for profits know though, is that many people are not 18 yr olds coming out of high school to college full time.

Non for profits need to address these people with worthwhile degrees. IMO. Because we live in a 24 hour world, IMO, education should reflect that, but still be of high quality.
More online degrees would be a great boon to the burgeoning industry of class-takers and paper-writers that make a living doing other people's schoolwork for them.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:09 AM

13,253 posts, read 33,437,211 times
This thread is being closed due to the fact that a handful of posters cannot stay on topic. A point from the terms of service that seems to have alluded those posters:

http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Quote:
Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.
I think we all get that some people think that on-line learning is bad, whether it for-profit colleges or brick and mortar schools. Some of you think on-line classes are sometimes suitable from brick and mortar schools only. And some people think that on-line classes are good from any institution as long as it's an accredited school. What most of us readers do not like is hearing the same arguments over and over and over on threads that are actually asking different questions. THIS thread specifically said:

Quote:
Should there be a push for more degrees to go online?
And when I say that, I don't mean for profits.
The one thing for profits know though, is that many people are not 18 yr olds coming out of high school to college full time.

Non for profits need to address these people with worthwhile degrees. IMO. Because we live in a 24 hour world, IMO, education should reflect that, but still be of high quality.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-27-2011 at 07:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.