Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 01:24 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times

Advertisements

GI Bill... Don't have any Debt. (Of any kind)

Like they are talking...

Nope, not worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 01:51 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,888,756 times
It's a horrible scam. It's a horrible legacy left by the baby boomers. They sold gen y down the river I'm afraid.

-They got their degrees for peanuts 30, 40 years ago. Long paid off. They got all the valuable degrees, all the real estate, subsequentally, all the political clout. What have they done with it? Boxed some of gen y into a corner?

You wonder about the ethics of a society that shackles 25 year olds with six figures of debt.

-I think the ethics part of it has been completely missed. It's one thing to go $20 k in debt, or $30 k. And a reasonable person has a chance of paying it off. But $140 k for a political science degree? At some point it started to become unreasonable. Why wasn't more done to change direction at that point?

I lay it at the baby boomers feet....

A. They had all these kids from k-12. They knew the facts. I.e., supply of college grads going up, grade inflation, dilution of standards. But they sold mantras, 3/4 truths, wishful thinking..."you'll be successful". All this nonsense.

B. The cheap options got laughed at. Community college is the 13th grade. Why aren't these expensive colleges the 14th grade? I never heard that when I was in school.

C. They sold an expensive, inflated ideology. College for all. "Higher education". Is it really higher education, if half the kids are taking remedial classes that they should have mastered in highschool?

D. The education higher ups are more interested in prestige, rankings, perks, etc.

New San Diego State president?s $400,000 salary draws criticism - Orange County Register

E. It's a much tougher job market.

Where was critical thinking when these kids were 15-18 years old, before they got into a hole? Was that replaced by social engineering and diversity and self esteem?

Old 07-16-2011, 06:19 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,597,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emirate25 View Post
Do you agree or disagree?

degree-not-worth-debt-cnnmoney: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/college-education/article/113010/degree-not-worth-debt-cnnmoney - broken link)

If you want a degree but find it expensive then go to less recognized, rural type states. Those types of states find it hard to get students to come to there state so cost is less.

Next look at programs that they are developing or adding to their colleges. Because these programs are NEW, few student know about them so that increases your chance of getting in.

Find two or three other students who are serious about getting a degree and you all live together in an apartment or tiny house and split the bills and share the books and keep the same instructors so you know how that instructor tests.

Work only 10 hours a week ( 10 hr X 4 people = 40 hour work week) and study the rest. Work at Walmart, Target, Kmart where you can get discounts on food, clothes, school needs which all of you can share. Don't eat out, cook at home for EVERYONE and take lunch with you in the backpack. This will save big $$$. You people have to think things though, add ingenuity to find ways to make it.

And if you are not college material, plumbers, auto repair and electrician make very good money but it also take a number of years to complete. They repair the things the "college educated" person can't fix so they have to pay them, lol

Old 07-17-2011, 03:56 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
If it hasn't already been said, one way to reduce costs is to go to a community college for the first two years. It's a lot cheaper and the 4 year degree you get after transferring to a university is identical to the one they'd hand you if you went to said university for the entire 4 years.

This can also lead to scholarship opportunties. I did not do well in high school but did well at community college. As a result, I earned a full scholarship to study engineering when I transferred to the 4 year university.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:15 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
It pays to graduate from college, but you also have to pay to go to college -- like a boat load of borrowed money that will eat into whatever earnings you have. You might be employed, but then again, you kinda need to be or you're looking at defaults that you can't *ever* unload. Something to keep into perspective.
That's why I suggest working your way through two years at a community college. I had zero college debt when I left my two year college because I worked full time during the day and took classes at night. Because I worked full time, I also had the money to pay for my college tuition at the state school I transferred to but even if you have more lofty goals than a state college for your Bachelor's degree, graduating from a 4 year school with only half the debt that you would have if you went four years to the same school, has to be a better deal.

It is also cheaper if you don't take more than 4 years to get your Bachelor's degree.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:36 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
That's why I suggest working your way through two years at a community college. I had zero college debt when I left my two year college because I worked full time during the day and took classes at night. Because I worked full time, I also had the money to pay for my college tuition at the state school I transferred to but even if you have more lofty goals than a state college for your Bachelor's degree, graduating from a 4 year school with only half the debt that you would have if you went four years to the same school, has to be a better deal.

It is also cheaper if you don't take more than 4 years to get your Bachelor's degree.
ITA. I just wish my dd saw it that way. She, unfortunately, feels cheated that she won't be going away to school her freshman year. She wants to be a vet and we have to keep the cost down any way we can so she's starting at a community college for the first two years. We'll pay half the tuition and a fraction of the room and board costs. Plus she can work while going to school and save.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:04 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
I agree with all the benefits of going to a community college... But certainly advise against it if you don't want to go to one. If you want to go away to a 4 year college, take that opportunity to live that experience. If you want to go to a community college, do that. Both ways have their benefits and one is not clearly better than the other.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:32 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
Most of us foreigners paid peanuts for our 'equivalent' degrees
Yes, my engineering degree in probably the best tech institute on earth was almost free of cost.

The government pays almost the entire fees for students who excel in entrance exams and get into the top 300.

The only fees I had to pay were paltry exam fees for every semester.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:38 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Yes, my engineering degree in probably the best tech institute on earth was almost free of cost.
Good school brings great wealth. You got your moneys worth 10-fold for sure given you paid nearly nothing. Unless you managed to mess that one up some how.

I hope to do the same.... I didn't have to pay much at all for my degree... and it was from a decent school as well... hoping it brings in the wealth over time.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:01 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I agree with all the benefits of going to a community college... But certainly advise against it if you don't want to go to one. If you want to go away to a 4 year college, take that opportunity to live that experience. If you want to go to a community college, do that. Both ways have their benefits and one is not clearly better than the other.

I went to Ole Miss for my '13th Grade'

Not any better than CC. (Yea, I had the 'experience'... so what?)

IT IS clear which is better for the 13th, and probably the 14th Grades.

$'s don't lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities