Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 07:52 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryFriend View Post
I think only the parents can do it after they have gotten turned down by a lender. Then you have to apply for it. Called something plus loan.

Then Harvard would not have a huge wallet. Either this is false, or they cap it and only even admit a small fraction of students who would qualify for the aid this way. I can't think of anytging else. They need money. And they won't get any when half of the students don't have to pay.
It's not false. Several elite schools like Harvard have a need-blind admissions policy. They also give out grants to cover the entire tuition so students who meet the requirements can go to school for nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 08:16 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I might just be upset because the wrong people get aid.
If some one has lackluster academic performance, then they should be seen as a risk and should only be able to qualify for the tuition breaks and book assistance.
As far as loans and such go, if someone with questionable grades wants to do that in order to better themselves, that's none of my business then.
Have at it.

I figure the thing that irked me into posting this entire thing in the first place is my personal concern over whether the monetary supplies for educational assistance would eventually dry up due to the obvious debt and economic problems.
And also the fact that some also hound my choice of working through it instead.
That one could be linked to my earlier statement of having qualified for aid and requesting loans before and screwing up academically at the same time years ago.
No longer being able to trust myself in certain areas I'm guessing.
Federal student aid is based on financial need. I've posted a link on here before (do a search if you wish) that unless you are nearly destitute, this aid will consist of loans and work-study jobs. The amount of money needed is calculated to include food, clothing, shelter, travel to and from school, etc. The award may be more than the tuition.

The aid that comes directly from the college is usually based on other criteria, e.g. academics, athletics, etc. The student generally has to keep up the grades for an academic scholarship or keep up the performance for the athletic scholarships.

Then there is aid from outside sources, like service clubs, churches, etc. This aid may be based on some criteria such as grades or being a red-headed left hander or something else.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:35 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Alumni Donations and a HUGE foundation---feel free to look it up on their website.

They can say anything on their website. If it's just 5% of the students , it's nonsense, imo.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:11 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
They can say anything on their website. If it's just 5% of the students , it's nonsense, imo.
The percent of kids getting financial aid is on their website as well...

Old 07-19-2011, 07:38 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,709 times
Quote:
The percent of kids getting financial aid is on their website as well...

I can't find any % on there website that tells me how many students benefit from that said "under 60k - we pay" rule.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:57 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
I can't find any % on there website that tells me how many students benefit from that said "under 60k - we pay" rule.
I found this on their site...

Quote:
Our current financial aid policy has dramatically reduced the amount families with incomes below $180,000 are expected to pay, and parents of families with incomes below $60,000 are not expected to contribute at all to college costs. We no longer consider home equity as a resource in our determination of a family contribution, and students are not expected to take out loans, which have been replaced by need-based Harvard scholarship. This program has reduced the cost to middle income families making the price of a Harvard education for students on financial aid comparable to the cost of in-state tuition and fees at the nation’s leading public universities. For a more detailed explanation of our program, please click here (http://isites.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do?keyword=k51861&pageid=icb.page248616 - broken link).
I don't know what % of those students hailing from low income families are, tho.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:00 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I found this on their site...

I don't know what % of those students hailing from low income families are, tho.
What difference does that make???

Old 07-20-2011, 08:13 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
What difference does that make???
That's what he was asking about, wasn't it?

Old 07-20-2011, 08:58 AM

841 posts, read 4,839,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Perhaps I could've worded it a little bit differently had I not been in line at the distribution center waiting to get unloaded.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to get across is that I'm running into many people who right off the bat will assume they get the grant and scholarship money as soon as they start attending.
The individual you just mentioned and many like her are well-deserving and earned it due to their fast-thinking minds and good memory.

However, the persons I describe are either fresh out of high school with so-so academic performance, or are switching careers(plenty of truckers I talk to throwing in the towel especially).
Many have never even filled out a college app or FAFSA, let alone take any academic placement/assessment tests.

I guess I'm just getting tired of some average Joes down on my level who are a bit misinformed about how college admissions and funding tends to work.
Reading all these texts about how it's good to go back to school and there's plenty of funding available.
Problem is that many fail to read the fine-print on many things and are some what let-down after being told the facts coldly.

Or it could be just slight bitterness that I've been stuck at a certain level for some time and it feels like academic purgatory.

But I'll save that issue for another thread/subforum.
I think I see your point, bentstrider. I work for a community college and I see many students who are attending school JUST to attain financial aid to live on (pay for rent, food, movies, gas, etc.). It's like a paycheck to them and many don't complete school to attain their degrees. Some of these students don't understand basic financial literacy, and some plan on defaulting on their loans, knowing full well that they're using financial aid as their 'paycheck' for the year. Guess who pays when students default on their loans? Some of these students just don't see how this can impact their future 10-20 years from now, and some don't care.

Not ALL financial aid recipients are like this. But I've seen my fair share to understand it's a true problem.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:38 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,927 times
Quote:
Harvard College Admissions § Financial Aid

Quote:
About 70 percent of our students receive some form of aid, with over 60 percent receiving need–based scholarships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities