Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 11:13 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,108,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
How do you guys currently do college level research, case studies, group work, and partake in in-office problem solving with online classes?
The same way businesses have employees do it with workers in the US and Japan...

Online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 11:28 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,065,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
The same way businesses have employees do it with workers in the US and Japan...

Online.
That's unfortunate.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:13 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,131,829 times
I think that this is true to a certain extend. Then I know of some students who do horrible either way.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:30 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,108,066 times
Quote:
That's unfortunate.

How it is...

Buddy of mine has to work with Dudes in Korea...

Old 07-23-2011, 01:01 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,095,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmingtonangel View Post
I think someone adult enough to take an online class should be motivated enough to do their work without me "motivating" and "engaging" them.
I have yet to take an online class that the instructor has videotaped his or her on campus lecture for the students to view online. I would love to have that! I think this could be a different way of engaging the students. I've taken online classes at 2 different colleges so I'm not sure if there are already instructors doing this in other parts of the US. I think perhaps that instructors should be trained or mentored that online learning is a bit different than on campus instruction.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:05 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,065,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
I have yet to take an online class that the instructor has videotaped his or her on campus lecture for the students to view online. I would love to have that! I think this could be a different way of engaging the students. I've taken online classes at 2 different colleges so I'm not sure if there are already instructors doing this in other parts of the US. I think perhaps that instructors should be trained or mentored that online learning is a bit different than on campus instruction.
You can freely download other professor's lectures on iTunes U. Obviously it will do nothing for your classes... but if you wanted to see what video taped lectures are like, they are there for free. I found some professors to be very excellent on-camera lecturers.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:15 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,095,522 times
Quote:
You can freely download other professor's lectures on iTunes U. Obviously it will do nothing for your classes... but if you wanted to see what video taped lectures are like, they are there for free. I found some professors to be very excellent on-camera lecturers.
Thanks for tip! I'm going to do a search and see if they have any of the schools I've attended on there. I would hope a current instructor would let me know if it was available on iTunes or Youtube.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:07 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,393,856 times
Quote:
I teach at a community college and I teach many online classes. I totally agree with the article because my online students absolutely perform worse than my face-to-face students overall. I taught 2 online classes this summer and will be giving several "F's" due to the fact that several students just did not bother to complete the work.

I don't make my online classes any more difficult than my face-to-face classes. They learn the same material, have the same amount of assignments, and similar tests. It probably just seems more difficult because they have to teach themselves the material.
Quote:
The fact is some people are just lazy and I can't help them.

They don't deserve to pass the class if they can't be adult enough to keep up with the due dates and do the work.
This makes absolute sense. Thanks for sharing. I think one has to be self-motivated; disciplined; smart; and not lazy. And I applaud you for not "dumbing" down your grades for slackers and nonperformers.

Online learning isn't for everyone nor is it a substitute for face-to-face learning. It's just a different format. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:10 PM

37,097 posts, read 42,103,316 times
I've taken several classes online but they were computer software related and there was really no reason to be in a classroom with other people to learn that stuff since you just had to DO IT and then take tests. That's the best thing in the world. On the other hand I tried 3 times and failed to do a self-paced algebra class where you just do the work in the book and take tests to prove your know the stuff. Some people fly through that with no trouble, I obviously can't do it without some face time.

My son signed up for an online Health class at CC thinking it would be a simple thing. After his midterm he said "never again" because you can't get away with anything online. LOL.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:27 PM

115 posts, read 306,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbill View Post
Is it harder to cheat online?
I would say that depends on the type of class being taken and the school. Some math and computer courses require an in-person proctored midterm and final. But some English and History courses only require a term paper be handed in electronically at the end of the semester. I know someone who makes a a lot of money taking these types online classes for other people...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities