Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 10:01 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,822,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
Also use it on survey takers and other charities that the do not call list doesn't apply to. Caller ID is great but they will then call back later or the next day until you answer.
Is there an advanced do not call list or something of the sort? I'm not looking forward to all the political autodialers. A couple years ago I got 9 calls in ONE day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 10:05 AM

6,453 posts, read 6,976,410 times
I get calls from mine all the time and so do my parents. I refuse to give them a dime for the same reason as the OP. Not to mention I highly disagree with the direction that the University is going in the first place, and the number of worthless projects that they throw money away on. Even if I made multi billions, they would not get a spoonfull of pennies from me.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:52 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,326,962 times
I wouldn't ever give my college a dime either. Their career center is a joke, looking back I didn't find the program all that great for getting a job in private industry (too academocentric) and the professor who's lab I worked is a psychologically dysfunctional individual who would have been fired in the private sector.

Simply put I have no more money to waste on them.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:26 AM

165 posts, read 321,822 times
I've only gotten calls for an Alumni Book, which costs about $100. I'd get it if I wasn't back in school.

What's the issue with giving back to your school? Part of that goes towards the functioning of the school.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:12 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,710,740 times
I rarely ever get calls from my alma mater but DH gets them often. Over the years we have given to his university, but we now have 2 kids in college, one at his alma mater. The last time they called, I told them we would be happy to give them a $1,000 donation, if they would grant my son who is there and paying out-of-state, in-state tuition. It kind of shut them up pretty quick.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:35 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,086,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBound09 View Post
I've only gotten calls for an Alumni Book, which costs about $100. I'd get it if I wasn't back in school.

What's the issue with giving back to your school? Part of that goes towards the functioning of the school.

BACK?!?!

It's a business.

You pay (Over pay) a price for a Piece of paper which 'the system' has set itself to make it nearly required.

AND they REQUIRE you to take BS classes which spends too much time and too much money "So-called learning" nonpertanant things.

It's a rip off.

If I could cost them money I would!

Old 07-27-2011, 03:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 40,980,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
BACK?!?!

It's a business.

You pay (Over pay) a price for a Piece of paper which 'the system' has set itself to make it nearly required.

AND they REQUIRE you to take BS classes which spends too much time and too much money "So-called learning" nonpertanant things.

It's a rip off.

If I could cost them money I would!
It's only a rip off if you let it be.

What I don't understand is why many of you chose to go to schools with poor career centers, poor educational opportunities and/or just didn't like what they were doing with their money?

Old 07-27-2011, 07:17 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,086,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's only a rip off if you let it be.

What I don't understand is why many of you chose to go to schools with poor career centers, poor educational opportunities and/or just didn't like what they were doing with their money?
Ok, PLEASE TELL ME how I can avoid wasting my time and ya'lls money and NOT take stupid classes where I don't learn anythign and the teacher is teaching Historically innacurtate information (Some contradicting the very book we are using!) Like the Music class I am in now.

Which I MUST (Or theater, or art) to graduate... and has exactly NOTHING to do with my degree!

(I could have got my degree in 1/2 the time except for classes like this... all of which cost money.)

This should be good...

That aside:
A 'service' for a price... so what is this "Giving BACK" BS?

Old 07-27-2011, 07:35 PM

24,488 posts, read 40,980,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Ok, PLEASE TELL ME how I can avoid wasting my time and ya'lls money and NOT take stupid classes where I don't learn anythign and the teacher is teaching Historically innacurtate information (Some contradicting the very book we are using!) Like the Music class I am in now.

Which I MUST (Or theater, or art) to graduate... and has exactly NOTHING to do with my degree!

(I could have got my degree in 1/2 the time except for classes like this... all of which cost money.)

This should be good...

That aside:
A 'service' for a price... so what is this "Giving BACK" BS?
You avoid wasting your time by choosing a curriculum that doesn't have as many useless classes. I didn't have to take theater, art, or music classes for my degree.

You know ahead of time what your curriculum is and there's tens of thousands of colleges to choose from.

But back to your original point... if you think it's a rip off, why let yourself get ripped off?

Anyways, the giving back part is completely optional. The school provides more than just classes - alumni events, networks, job placement for the rest of your life. Also, alumni before you donated money to provide scholarships for you and other students, so you'd be doing the same for newer students. But it's only optional, certainly not required. Also, alumni donations are tax deductible so Uncle Sam foots half the bill. I'm in favor of Uncle Sam putting out money for education and research.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:46 PM

7,017 posts, read 14,404,591 times
If you need to find a job (or a better paying job), persistently ask them for one. This also keeps the telemarketers away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities