U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2011, 04:17 PM

83 posts, read 215,046 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone... so I wasn't sure if wanted to get a graduate degree but my husband was accepted to a medical school in Mexico and he's going to be gone for 6 long years. His school is free so he can't get loans but the cost of living is kind of high for Mexico's standards so I wouldn't be able to get a job in Mexico and support us both.

So the only way I could move there is if I get accepted in graduate school and live off loans. I know its not ideal but I'd rather do that than spend 6 years apart. And besides those loans will be paying for both of our degrees.

I still have to finish my accounting degree here. I have 2 yrs left. And I'm not thinking about for-profit schools that would be a waste of money I'm interested in brick and mortar schools that offer degree programs. I would prefer an MBA but if its too competitive then I'm ok with a masters in accounting.

So I need help! Which universities offer these degrees? It's kind of hard to search on google because the damn profits keep popping up. I saw one for the University of Florida and the costs seems reasonable. It's 19k per year part time or 28k per year full-time. But it seems kind of competetive to get in. I don't really care about the ranking of the school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 09:14 PM

4,805 posts, read 19,424,616 times
How is your MBA going to fund your living expenses for 6 years?? If you have two years left of undergrad, plus grad school, that's three years, four tops. If you go part time to stretch it out, your loans will be prorated (reduced). Loan applications will take into consideration that your spouse is not able to contribute to household expenses, but the award amount will still only reflect the cost for you to live. Your husband's loans are supposed to pay for his living expenses. Taking out loans for 28k in tuition plus living expenses, without the intention of beginning to pay it back for at least six years is a pretty bad idea. Even on a doctor's salary, that's a lot to pay back.

Have you even looked at how you will be able to stay in Mexico for six years? Your husband will obviously qualify for a student visa. But you won't be a student enrolled in Mexico, so you wouldn't qualify for a student visa yourself. For a permanent resident visa, you usually have to demonstrate a reliable source of income, and I'm not sure student loans count. And such visas are only issued for up to five years.

Assuming you've worked all that out....you just need to dig a bit deeper than the first page of Google results, and you'll find plenty of online degrees. Accounting and business are just about the most common online degrees available.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:26 AM

83 posts, read 215,046 times
Thx Kodoka! I did find a couple of good online schools but we actually decided that he's just going to major in something else here in the U.S. Being apart for so long and financial problems = marriage disaster. It sucks that he had to give up this opportunity but it just wasn't the right option for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities