Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 12:27 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times

Advertisements

1. The member BANDON is not the OP.
2. The member BANDON is not male.

You might try reading the OP just so you know who wrote it and try reading the rest of the posts so you know a little bit about the person your are putting down.

Talk about being uninformed.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:30 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That doesn't guarantee squat; it merely shows what is possible, and what has already been achieved.

If you're not smart enough to know the difference, you're not smart enough to be in college.
Sounds like you're repeating stuff you have heard on the internet.

I didn't say they are guaranteeing a job that offers X amount of dollars. I said, they are misleading students into thinking that is the case, without actually stating it word for word.

If they're not smart enough to be in college, then, why were they admitted and why did they graduate? That's just more negligence on the college's part. If you are referring to me personally, well, my 1280 GRE score and masters degree would prover otherwise. I am employed. Just stating my opinion on the topic.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:31 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,005 times
Your guys gang mentality is so mature allright. And you say I'M immature. What a laugh.

This is so high school it's ridiculous. None of you know jack about me but you're so quick to band together to attack someone, which is against the TOS is it not ?

Of course I'll keep defending myself. You guys started it. I'm not the type to back down when I'm under attack by a bunch of people who never grew out of being bullies in high school.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:34 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I have to wonder where this idea of "I went to college now pay me" came from.
I think, to be fair, that many of us come out of college with at least a similar attitude: "I'm here! Let me show you how wonderful and talented I am!"

And of course that attitude usually gets adjusted by one or two supervisors or co-workers who are more than happy to let us know just how wrong we are. We may be wonderful and talented, but so are a whole lot of other people.

My first boss was an old-fashioned, small-town newspaper editor: while he was news-first all the way and would have exposed his grandmother if she committed a crime, he always had a picture about a cute puppy or Little Leaguer on the front page. However, there was nothing kindly about his wife, the office manager, who let me know in no uncertain terms that my newly minted college degree did not make me any smarter than she was. She had to knock me around a few times until I got the message, but get the message I did, and I was better for it as I progressed in my career.

That's where I learned the meaning of the phrase: "You're special. Just like everyone else."

A little humility goes a long way.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:38 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I didn't say they are guaranteeing a job that offers X amount of dollars. I said, they are misleading students into thinking that is the case, without actually stating it word for word.
All these college catalogs do is report what's already been achieved. That's not misleading on the college's part; the reader is misinterpreting the college's data.

Anyone who thinks "Golly! All I have to do is go to this school and I can make that average salary listed in the brochure, too!" really should not be going to college.

And why shouldn't a college tout the successes of its graduates?

Old 08-12-2011, 12:39 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Beyond all the back and forth bickering going on here, I think it's problematic on both sides. That colleges are painting a rosy picture when they shouldn't (as a disclaimer, I never experienced that while in school), and the students don't have the sense to research their fields and academic paths. The latter points to a lack of critical thinking skills, and that may be due to age. If so, and if these kids have parents, I wonder where the parental guidance is.

Bandon, this...

"In a world that demands that you need money for the necessities of life, there should be. You can't demand money for things and then not provide a way to get them."

is bizarre thinking on your part. It's just not how the world works. With that said, I'm definitely of the mind that striving for independence can help, like growing your own food, supplying your own heat, making your own clothes, etc.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:17 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
I think, to be fair, that many of us come out of college with at least a similar attitude: "I'm here! Let me show you how wonderful and talented I am!"

And of course that attitude usually gets adjusted by one or two supervisors or co-workers who are more than happy to let us know just how wrong we are. We may be wonderful and talented, but so are a whole lot of other people.

My first boss was an old-fashioned, small-town newspaper editor: while he was news-first all the way and would have exposed his grandmother if she committed a crime, he always had a picture about a cute puppy or Little Leaguer on the front page. However, there was nothing kindly about his wife, the office manager, who let me know in no uncertain terms that my newly minted college degree did not make me any smarter than she was. She had to knock me around a few times until I got the message, but get the message I did, and I was better for it as I progressed in my career.

That's where I learned the meaning of the phrase: "You're special. Just like everyone else."

I disagree. My peers and I came out of college ready to work for our pay. Today, kids seem to think we should pay them because they have a degree. As if it's the degree that counts not the job you do. There is been a shift in attitude in the last 25 years to one of entitlement. My peers and I came out of college ready to show the world what we could do as opposed to thinking we should be paid just because we had degrees. The degree was just to get our foot in the door. I came out of college ready to learn my job not thinking I was entitled to anything because I had a degree.

The last few engineering recruits I saw come through my department had this "I've paid my dues now pay me" attitude. They didn't come to learn their jobs. They didn't even come to show us what they could do. They wanted a pat on the back for showing up. It was like they had arrived and we were all to pay homage...along with large paychecks.

I remember one engineer who quit to take another job. She was in tears because our manager didn't make a counter offer. He was SUPPOSED to counter the new employers offer. Instead, he said "Don't let the screen door hit ya where the good Lord split ya". I asked him about it later as I always thought she was pretty good. He said that she did an ok job but he had to stroke her ego to get anything out of her. He said she wanted a pat on the back just for showing up. (I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact we give trophies to kids just for showing up these days?)

Old 08-12-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Oh I'm not ?

At last count there were at least 5 of you all trying valiantly to assasinate my character. That or using ridicule because I happen to think differently. And you think I'm overreacting ? This is EXACTLY High school bullying being played out in this thread. And somehow I'm the bad guy for defending myself ? On what planet ?

For the record. I didn't post my original opinion on the topic aimed at anyone in particular. I was just stating my opinion of the topic at hand.

Ohiogirl came out with an extremely bitchy response and some of the others, yourself included, joined in. Just like my walk home from school that day.

I emailed a mod and informed her that I was being personally attacked in this thread. I hope he/she takes the appropriate measures and closes this thread.
As Dr. Phil would say: "How's that working for you?".

You want to pride yourself on thinking differently in a society that values team players. Go right ahead but don't expect the rewards that are reserved for team players. You have every right to be a non conformist. What you don't have the right to do is demand the same benefits as those who play the game. There is a price for non conformity. If you want to be a non conformist, you have no right to ***** about the price. It's YOUR choice.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:19 PM

919 posts, read 1,782,253 times
Quote:

Who was the jackass, you or her? Why would she need to tell you that you weren't that smart? What the hell kind of attitude did you have or was it she that had some problems?

Old 08-12-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
Who was the jackass, you or her? Why would she need to tell you that you weren't that smart? What the hell kind of attitude did you have or was it she that had some problems?
Because college doesn't teach you what you need to do your job. It just gets you ready to learn your job. Too many new grads come out with this attitude that they know it all because they have a degree these days. Back when I graduated, you came out of college ready to learn your job not thinking you already knew it.

That's not to say the woman wasn't a jackass. Maybe she had a stick up her butt WRT college grads. However, I've seen my share of college grads who think the world owes them something for having graduated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities