Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,267 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone I have a certificate in nursing assistant. I am looking to move to Ohio so that I can go to school there. There is a program for becoming a nurse that I am going to attend. I was woundering if anyone knows of a few cities around Findlay Ohio that would not be to far to drive back and forth to go to school? The school is in Findlay but I choose not to live in Findlay and would like to move not to far away from Findlay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 02:33 PM

646 posts, read 1,784,892 times
I'm sorry to hear that Anarchy. There has been a shift here in the US as well when it comes to IT and less and less people went into the field as outsourcing loomed bigger. I'm glad that I picked Information Systems (mix of business and IT) since those kind of jobs are in pretty good demand. But with healthcare being such a strong field, I'm looking into that more and more.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:25 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,557,420 times
I have a BS in Accounting. I would like to get my Master’s of Science in Taxation (MST). But the commitment and money to do so just aren't there. I don't work in public accounting, but tax accounting is fascinating to me. Anytime I can channel my energy into minimizing my tax burden, I want to learn more and more!

Old 08-23-2007, 04:51 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,246,583 times
Next May I'll be graduating with a BA in English Literature. Big mistake, I know. You don't have to rub it in. I've changed my mind of want I want to do since I started college. I now want to go into the business world-- real estate development in particular. Rather than double majoring or getting a second bachelor's degree, I'm going to graduate at the end of this school year, cut my losses, and move on to a master's degree program. I want to go straight into business school. I'll be applying towards MS in Finance programs in a couple of months, see where I get in, and make the call from there.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:44 PM

420 posts, read 2,195,900 times
Vegaspilgrim, I would say that you're not in that bad of shape, but I have a serious suggestion. Try to get a position at a Realtor. It sounds like I'm trying to get you to skip the MS, but you'll thank me. Chances are, unless you majored in Business, and majored well in Business, most 1st tier B-schools won't consider you without work experience. I was one of not many who went straight from UG to MBA, and believe me, it's only because I locked in a great internship at UBS when I was a Junior. Honestly, applying to B-school might not be a bad idea, but unless you get into where you really want to go, don't settle for number two. You'll find out where you stand and a lot of times if you meet with the Dean in a professional manner, he'll tell you why you weren't accepted. From here, getting a job in a finance-related area for a couple years, then trying b-school would be a great plan. However, if you get into your #1 first try, more power to ya, and good luck with everything.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:51 PM

44 posts, read 286,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I have a BS in Accounting. I would like to get my Master’s of Science in Taxation (MST). But the commitment and money to do so just aren't there. I don't work in public accounting, but tax accounting is fascinating to me. Anytime I can channel my energy into minimizing my tax burden, I want to learn more and more!
stay as far away from public accounting as possible.

if you have a family or social life that is.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStreetWarrior View Post
From here, getting a job in a finance-related area for a couple years, then trying b-school would be a great plan. However, if you get into your #1 first try, more power to ya, and good luck with everything.
Thanks for the advice. BTW, I should have said, real estate development is only ONE particular industry I am interested in. Lately, with the slump of the housing market, I'm having second thoughts about that. I have ruled out being a realtor. I know several people who have done that before, and that is one of the worst jobs out there. Not to mention that with the current market, there is a HUGE oversupply of realtors as it is. I'm also interested in financial planning, or anything, really, that involves finance in some way. I am flexible, and would consider opportunities in many different kinds of corporations. But how on earth do you get a job in a finance with just an English degree? I understand there are many kinds of jobs I might be able to talk myself into, especially ones that are more communication and right-brained oriented, but I don't see how I have any credentials right now for a finance position.

I am still interested in getting an MBA down the road, at a top school, after I have some work experience-- but that would be after I have already established myself. I made a wrong turn four years ago; I'm trying to exit the highway I'm currently on and get on a whole different road. What I'm looking at now is specifically a MS degree in Finance. Most schools only offer MBA's, not this particular degree. The schools that do offer a MS in Finance are typically not ivy league schools, but there are many good 2nd tier public and private schools which offer it. Most of these programs are one year, nonthesis programs. Some of them want two years work experience, some openly say on their websites that it isn't needed. Some of them say that your undergrad. degree can be in any field, as long as you have enough prerequisite courses taken. My current list of schools I will apply are: U. of Arizona, Washington U. in St Louis, Vanderbilt, U. of Denver, and U. of Colorado at Denver (the one school I can get in-state tuition at-- and live at home for a year, which would save a LOT of money). Some of these programs are all night classes, so I'd probably be working, maybe an internship position (getting some experience) and studying at the same time. I don't see how I'd be in any worse position than I'm in now, if I were to graduate in 2009 with a MS in Finance-- even if it's from CU Denver. And yes, then a couple of years after that I'd be in the right boat to pursue an MBA degree.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:41 PM

Alright, by MBA in Finance, I meant MS in Finance. They're the same thing to most employers. In fact to be technical, my degree is actually a Masters of Science in Computational Finance, which is a term only used by Carnegie Mellon, but has been informally adopted by many schools. You're in Colorado I assume. That's really not the best place to take up a career in Finance to be honest, haha. But you're not lost completely.

I agree that you should probably stay away from becoming a realtor, but what I was suggesting was that you try to get a job in a realtor's office, doing finance related work. Eventually, I assume by financial planning that you want to work in a commercial bank? or perhaps investment bank? Tell me more, we'll see where we can go from here.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStreetWarrior View Post
Alright, by MBA in Finance, I meant MS in Finance. They're the same thing to most employers. In fact to be technical, my degree is actually a Masters of Science in Computational Finance, which is a term only used by Carnegie Mellon, but has been informally adopted by many schools. You're in Colorado I assume. That's really not the best place to take up a career in Finance to be honest, haha. But you're not lost completely.
Perhaps. Obviously, New York City is the world center of finance. I'm not ruling that out, if the opportunity to move to the Big City came up. Although compared to Phoenix, where I'm currently going to school, Denver is actually an improvement. Charles Schwab, Smith Barney, Merrill Lynch, TIAA CREF, as well as all the major banks all have huge operations in Denver.

Quote:
I agree that you should probably stay away from becoming a realtor, but what I was suggesting was that you try to get a job in a realtor's office, doing finance related work. Eventually, I assume by financial planning that you want to work in a commercial bank? or perhaps investment bank? Tell me more, we'll see where we can go from here.
Ok, I'll try to be more specific. I have three different lines of interest:

#1-- real estate finance-- being the person who buys and leases land for a developer and who finances development and construction projects. From everything I've read, including an Insider's Track to Careers in Real Estate book put out by the ULI, many skills are required to succeed in development, but finance is the #1 skill required.
#2-- financial planning/advising-- I'm talking about being a face to face consultant who manages private clients' investment portfolios, recommending stocks, mutual funds, and bonds. I would want to become a CFP. I would be working for a bank or for a securities industry firm like a Charles Schwab or a Merrill Lynch. From the people I've talked to, this is a rapidly growing, exciting field. I am actually more interested in what CFP's do than what CFA's do.
#3-- working for any kind of corporation, and any industry, in a job that requires knowledge and skill of financial analysis-- and which offers potential to "climb up the ladder." The sky is the limit, essentially-- wherever the opportunities are. The idea here would be to get a MS in Finance since I do not have an undergraduate business degree. This is my fourth year in college, and I am on track to graduate this spring. I could double major, being here for two more years after my scholarship runs dry and paying ridiculous out of state tuition for those two years (even if I cut the amount of time down by taking summer classes, it would be two solid years worth of tuition expenses). I could graduate my current school, and then immediately enroll in a second bachelor's degree program in finance at a second school (probably in Colorado, so I could get in-state tuition), and end up with two bachelor's degree on my resume. From who I've talked to, I've heard that would NOT look good. Or, I can graduate here next year, get into a one year MS Finance program, and at the end of it have a master's degree on my resume. This seems like the smartest choice to me. But tell me, Warrior of Wall Street, what you think!

Old 08-23-2007, 08:15 PM

First and foremost, definitely do not waste money going for another bachelors. It will take way too long, and you're already behind the pack. You've got a good head on your shoulders too, which is nice. I am quite connected with my former highschool and believe me, I have kids up the wazzoo wanting to be Gordon Gekko overnight. I just shrugg them off and add them to the pile of accountants.

So...what to do with our friend Vegas...hmm. CFP is a good road, although I'm curious why not CFA as a MS in Finance practically goes hand in hand with CFA. There's a lot of leway here with job placement, simply because you've got so many people vying for that invesment banker job, a good candidate stands out in the Financial Planning department. Although this may not be the case as much at larger firms like Merill Lynch, I'm sure Smith Barney likes to see this.

Moving on, I think we have to make the best of what Denver is going to give us for now. Here's a rundown. Schwabb: chances are you'll be in Denver forever, Smith Barney: probably get a posh job at the Citibuilding in NYC eventually, Merrill Lynch: a good choice, TIAA CREF: probably won't get hired.

Obviously I'm partial to Citi and Merrill Lynch because I do a fair amount of business with them. I hate brokers so I have a natural aversion to Schwabb, and TIAA CREF has about 6,000 employees and no plans for expansion that I've seen. Besides, do you really want to work a job covering teacher's pensions for the majority of your life?

What's your GPA as an English major. From this I'll be able to gauge your likelihood of being accepted into a program. A word of honesty though; you should really consider a job in Finance before you try for MSF. What sort of math classes did you take? If you took any stats or calc that will help you.

Now a quick bit on how to nail your interview for grad school. Prior to your interview date, try to set up an interview at Smith Barney or Merrill; Schwabb too if that floats your boat. Talk to these companies and try to get packets of information on their jobs. Make it convenient at your grad school interview to say, hey, Mr. Advisor, this is the kind of profession I'm really looking foward to. Show him the packets and watch a tear fall from his eye. Point of this story is, there is a heck of a lot of ulterior motive when admissions workers look at candidates. For instance, in the case of my alma mater, they wanted as many future Goldman employees, like myself, Lehman Bro. employees, Bear Stearns employees, etc. as they could get their hands on. Why? Big names=big dollars=big exposure=big alumni donations.

So get me that GPA and a list of courses that you've taken that may have something to do with finance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities