Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2011, 10:17 AM

13 posts, read 55,899 times

Advertisements

I can't decide between a marketing (business) or mass communication degree. I feel the business marketing degree will probably have more potential and is worth more, but a mass comm degree might be easier???

I took an intro to marketing class and really liked it. I've taken a few mass comm classes and have not been completely impressed.

The marketing path will require that I take some business core classes which means a little more time versus mass comm. Plus, I'm not the best at math. But I seem to like marketing.

The mass comm path requires i take a couple courses that are more creative like layout and design and possibly video production etc.

I'd appreciate some advice on any experiences some of you have had throughout your lives or what choice might have better prospects. ALL advice is welcome. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 10:39 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,028,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickynvicky View Post
I can't decide between a marketing (business) or mass communication degree. I feel the business marketing degree will probably have more potential and is worth more, but a mass comm degree might be easier???

I took an intro to marketing class and really liked it. I've taken a few mass comm classes and have not been completely impressed.

The marketing path will require that I take some business core classes which means a little more time versus mass comm. Plus, I'm not the best at math. But I seem to like marketing.

The mass comm path requires i take a couple courses that are more creative like layout and design and possibly video production etc.

I'd appreciate some advice on any experiences some of you have had throughout your lives or what choice might have better prospects. ALL advice is welcome. Thank you.
Marketing is probably a little better for first getting a job. My feeling is it won't really make that much of a difference in terms of career. Both of those degrees are going to require you to sell yourself in order to get a job and succeed, much more than a degree in say, Aerospace Engineering.

Most Marketing Analyst positions just require a BA and that's it. It could be in Medieval History.

Just go with the one you're more interested in.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:42 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,414,637 times
Your marketing degree will be more broad based and you will have business background . So unless you wanted to work specificially in the Mass Comm field I would not go for it. That was my major and i am working in different environment cause i didnt get hired in that field. With a business degree you can open yourself to a lot of options. I dont think marketing would involve heavy math but you should check that.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:13 AM

13 posts, read 55,899 times
Thanks for your responses.

Both degrees are BS degrees. I don't know if that adds a little more value to the mass comm degree (???) which is considered liberal arts degree whereas marketing is a business degree.

At this point, I need about 45 credits to finish a mass comm degree and approx. 60 to complete the marketing degree (15 credit difference, give or take). So far, I have not been real impressed with the staff of the few classes I have taken in the mass comm department. I was impressed with the one intro class I took in the marketing department.

The math aspect comes from business core classes required. Finite Business math, business statistics, finance etc.

For some reason, I just don't know what route to go. Do these new tidbits change anyone's advice? Thanks again.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:49 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,414,637 times
Well if you think you can get thru the math then go for it..See if you can get tutors to help if Marketing is the route you want to take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities