Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2011, 02:47 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,049 times

Advertisements

A little background on me first before I ask my question:

For the last 4 years, I've been working as the office manager for an IT staffing and consulting company where my job includes handling all of the HR and accounting for the company (except for annual corporate tax filing, which is done by a CPA). I got my BA in music and Spanish from Tufts University, so I've never taken an accounting class in my life (I'm completely self-taught in accounting).

I recently got a big raise from my boss, and as part of the promotion, he's asking me to increase my accounting knowledge by enrolling in an accounting degree program. At this point, I'm not sure if I want to earn a second bachelor's degree or a master's degree in accounting since my main passion is music (my office manager job helps me pay the bills so I can pursue my music career). However, I agree with him that I should at least take an introduction to accounting class to help cover the gaps in my accounting knowledge.

Aside from the University of Phonenix, where are some other places I should look for online accounting courses? Ideally, I'd like to be able to enroll in a single course rather than an entire degree program because I'm not sure yet if I want to do an entire degree program. Cost is not important because my boss says that the company will cover the costs of my tuition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 02:58 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
A little background on me first before I ask my question:

For the last 4 years, I've been working as the office manager for an IT staffing and consulting company where my job includes handling all of the HR and accounting for the company (except for annual corporate tax filing, which is done by a CPA). I got my BA in music and Spanish from Tufts University, so I've never taken an accounting class in my life (I'm completely self-taught in accounting).

I recently got a big raise from my boss, and as part of the promotion, he's asking me to increase my accounting knowledge by enrolling in an accounting degree program. At this point, I'm not sure if I want to earn a second bachelor's degree or a master's degree in accounting since my main passion is music (my office manager job helps me pay the bills so I can pursue my music career). However, I agree with him that I should at least take an introduction to accounting class to help cover the gaps in my accounting knowledge.

Aside from the University of Phonenix, where are some other places I should look for online accounting courses? Ideally, I'd like to be able to enroll in a single course rather than an entire degree program because I'm not sure yet if I want to do an entire degree program. Cost is not important because my boss says that the company will cover the costs of my tuition.
Look to your local Community College or State University System....

Chances are you will find what you are looking for and a very good chance there will be on-line options for working professionals...

Don't waste your time(or money) on worthless schools like U of P. I know you state cost isn't a concern but why waste your valuable time on a course that will give you nothing in the future??

You may never decide to pursue a Master's in Accounting or MBA program but if you did a "real" school won't take your U of P or other for-profit credits...

If I were in your shoes I would want to keep my options open for the future and not have to take Introduction to Accounting over again because I wasted time on an on-line for-profit school..

Old 08-21-2011, 03:06 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Look to your local Community College or State University System....

Chances are you will find what you are looking for and a very good chance there will be on-line options for working professionals...

Don't waste your time(or money) on worthless schools like U of P. I know you state cost isn't a concern but why waste your valuable time on a course that will give you nothing in the future??

You may never decide to pursue a Master's in Accounting or MBA program but if you did a "real" school won't take your U of P or other for-profit credits...

If I were in your shoes I would want to keep my options open for the future and not have to take Introduction to Accounting over again because I wasted time on an on-line for-profit school..
University of Texas at Austin is out of the question. They don't really offer continuing education courses. Austin Community College doesn't offer any online courses in accounting. I'm really trying to find a place where I'm not locked into a traditional college semester schedule and can take courses online because I need to have the flexibility so I can continue to pursue my music career.

What is it about the University of Phoenix that's so bad?

Old 08-21-2011, 05:57 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
If you want a respectable education, you're going to have to accept at least some traditional teaching methods. Even online, the respectable programs adhere to a formal semester schedule, and have defined class schedules and assignment deadlines. Every school's format is a bit different. Some schools will have a weekly schedule, but you can work at your own pace so long as you get everything done by the end of the week, for example. But no respectable program is self-paced. If you want that, look up 'correspondence school', but keep in mind that they will have no respectability in the business community and will almost certainly be a waste of your time and money.

There are plenty of respectable online programs in accounting: Washington State University (both undergrad and graduate degrees and certificates); Morehead State, Montana State (certificate only), California State University, Louisiana State University (certificate only); Rutgers. This is just a quick sampling. You can do your own research and find many more programs. It's best to search something like "online state university" or "distance learning accounting state university" or something like that, to weed out the for-profit diploma mills.

Even if your employer pays for the course, you may want to consider the benefits of paying for it yourself. There are new tax credits and the tuition and expenses deduction has been redefined so that you could easily pay nothing, and even have some expenses that you'd have ordinarily, like home internet service, deducted from your income. Plus, you'd be completely free of your employer's requirements. It doesn't sound like your employer's being particularly particular, but I suggest you get something in writing about how much they will pay. Are they only paying for an introductory course? Is there a maximum they will pay? Do you have to maintain a minimum GPA? What if for some reason you decide to leave the company within the next few years? Do you have to repay them? Even the nicest employers can surprise you when it comes to funding outside activities, even when they benefit from them.

IRS tax breaks for education

Old 08-21-2011, 07:48 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
I'm currently doing a post bachelor's certificate in accounting. Each class is a flat $760 a class at Southern Oregon University. I need to take 10 classes and I will be taking Class #4 mid September. It is a public state university that is by the quarter system. Southern Oregon University:School of Business My bachelor's degree is in general business. This is a good program for someone in your situation. It does not qualify someone to take the CPA exam as Texas requires some classes to taken at a physical campus. I'm in San Antonio and I am only interested in private accounting and the CPA doesn't interest me. My background is admin support at non profits and I wanted to switch gears to accounting and I am now in non profit accounting. If you have any other questions, feel free to send me a direct message.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:03 PM

243 posts, read 1,629,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
University of Texas at Austin is out of the question. They don't really offer continuing education courses. Austin Community College doesn't offer any online courses in accounting. I'm really trying to find a place where I'm not locked into a traditional college semester schedule and can take courses online because I need to have the flexibility so I can continue to pursue my music career.

What is it about the University of Phoenix that's so bad?
They aren't AACSB accredited, and you get 0 campus recruiting. Last but not least, most employers look down on "FOR PROFIT" universities...

Old 08-24-2011, 01:29 PM

25 posts, read 83,043 times
Louisiana State University (LSU) offers accounting classes online for less than 500 dollars a class. You can enroll in individual classes, or you can pursue their certificate in accounting. Sounds like the perfect fit for what you and your employer are looking for.

Also, it is AACSB accredited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities