U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 11:57 PM

8,814 posts, read 3,973,136 times

Advertisements

So, I know that I need to go and get some type of degree if I want a good career. I always have had an interest in the field of LAW. I suppose the ultimate dream would be to get my bachelors and then go to law school, but I dont want to get too far ahead of myself.

So, any of you out there ever take or know anything about a Paralegal Studies course? What was your experience? How difficult was/is it? Are you working in a degree related career? What would you say the market is out there for a paralegal these days? Is your salary woth while? How versitile is a degree in P.S? i.e. are there several different types of careers you could go into with a degree in this field? Any advice for someone who is considering taking these courses?

Thanks for your comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 11:42 AM

14,468 posts, read 15,768,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
So, I know that I need to go and get some type of degree if I want a good career. I always have had an interest in the field of LAW. I suppose the ultimate dream would be to get my bachelors and then go to law school, but I dont want to get too far ahead of myself.

So, any of you out there ever take or know anything about a Paralegal Studies course? What was your experience? How difficult was/is it? Are you working in a degree related career? What would you say the market is out there for a paralegal these days? Is your salary woth while? How versitile is a degree in P.S? i.e. are there several different types of careers you could go into with a degree in this field? Any advice for someone who is considering taking these courses?

Thanks for your comments
depends where you are looking for a job once you get certified. NYC or Chicago, yes....other states-no. Salary for a paralegal in NYC is 80k and more IF you get into a big firm....

small town america ...it isnt worth it.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:54 AM

156 posts, read 159,907 times
In 2000, I took a job as a paralegal in Boston, MA after completing a certificate program in paralegal studies. However, I already had a Bachelor degree. I don't think they would have hired me without the Bachelor degree.

I had the feeling they wanted to invest in paralegals who were considering going into Law School...of course you need a Bachelor degree to improve your chances of getting into Law School.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:42 PM

8,814 posts, read 3,973,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
depends where you are looking for a job once you get certified. NYC or Chicago, yes....other states-no. Salary for a paralegal in NYC is 80k and more IF you get into a big firm....

small town america ...it isnt worth it.
Well at the moment I'm thinking possibly Pittsburgh, or I would consider any larger cuity really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katet View Post
In 2000, I took a job as a paralegal in Boston, MA after completing a certificate program in paralegal studies. However, I already had a Bachelor degree. I don't think they would have hired me without the Bachelor degree.

I had the feeling they wanted to invest in paralegals who were considering going into Law School...of course you need a Bachelor degree to improve your chances of getting into Law School.
And did you go to Law School? Are you working as a Paralegal? What's the market like down there in NC for paralegals?

Old 08-25-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
And did you go to Law School? Are you working as a Paralegal? What's the market like down there in NC for paralegals?
I am not working as a paralegal anymore...although I have consider pursuing a law degree one day, not a good time to do it.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:04 AM

1,688 posts, read 2,143,882 times
Quote:

Thanks for your comments
I'd check out the Indeed forums. Lots of eye-opening information out there.

Basically, if you like working for selfish, combative, and unappreciative attorneys, and doing routine, repetitive grunt work and being underpaid for your efforts, then go for it. But, even if you decide that you want to get into this field anyway, good luck finding a job. The legal profession is contracting, and in the bigger cities, you'll actually be competing against freshly-minted lawyers who can't find work.

So, really, really think about this. Do your due diligence. If you decide to give it a try after you've done your homework, then I wish you the best of luck.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
Basically, if you like working for selfish, combative, and unappreciative attorneys, and doing routine, repetitive grunt work and being underpaid for your efforts, then go for it. quote]
Somewhat of a generalization, not all lawyers fit your characterization.

If you like the law and enjoy writing, then this is the job for you. It was the most exciting job I ever had...there are so many great opportunities working as a paralegal in a law firm.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Somewhat of a generalization, not all lawyers fit your characterization.

If you like the law and enjoy writing, then this is the job for you. It was the most exciting job I ever had...there are so many great opportunities working as a paralegal in a law firm.
Most paralegals do not get to do much in the way of writing.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
Most paralegals do not get to do much in the way of writing.
Have you worked as a paralegal or a lawyer? Maybe I was fortunate to work at a law firm that valued my paralegal certificate and writing skills.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Have you worked as a paralegal or a lawyer? Maybe I was fortunate to work at a law firm that valued my paralegal certificate and writing skills.
Yes, for 6 years. I did a lot of research, which I liked a lot, but virtually no writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities