Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 08:31 AM

402 posts, read 589,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
My parents paid. Started saving the moment I was born.
That's what my parents did: started saving as soon as I was born. Smart move and I am so grateful to them for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 08:32 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
With a top 10% of graduating class GPA and high 700's on the SAT's, I applied for scholarships ... only to be turned down because family income was too high to qualify, but not sufficient to fund my college. At the time, scholarships were primarily awarded on the basis of need and not only academic achievement ... and even if your parents wouldn't pay for your college, their income was assumed to be available for your college education unless you were an emancipated minor.

As an out-of-state student at a leading University in my field of study, the tuition expense was much higher than in-state costs. Books and materials were steep, and mandatory student fees were an insult that funded many activities for which I had no time or interest ... or, in the case of some, would never have contributed to those group's activities.

But I discovered a niche marketplace for my skills apart from my degree path, and started a casual business which more than surpassed the student type jobs I could get in the area. This paid for my education, living, and recreational expenses. When the time came to seek professional employment, I discovered that I was already making more money from my casual business than I was being offered to go to work with my degree. So that business I started in college became my career path and I did pretty well at it for over 30 years.

In today's college funding environment, it appears to me that the prime factors are to have as high a GPA and SAT score as possible, along with outside activities (sports or other interests) that show a potential of dedication and learning abilities to get those available scholarship dollars.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:01 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Just so we're clear, 99% of schools do not cost $40,000 per year in tuition. If you live in Michigan, California, Virginia, Texas, or North Carolina, tuition to a top 25 school would be less than $10,000 a year.

Dorm living is fairly expensive. For what you pay for a shared room, you can easily find an apartment to share, and have your own bedroom. I don't know about meal plans, but living in a dorm means no kitchen either.

Books: I only bought what I needed to. Never bought a "recommended" book. In grad school, most books were in the library anyway, either on the shelf as a reference book, or the professor had it in the reserved area. Now you can go online and grab them much cheaper too.

Loans and Grants paid for all of that. Always had a job for food - either work study or retail in the community. Grad school had grad assistantships with stipends and tuition payment, but you don't care about that now.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:06 AM

191 posts, read 946,222 times
- Scholarship from the school due to a high GPA
- Sought after and got some private scholarships (academic based)
- Did well in college and maintained scholarships
- Parent's help for the rest

Academic scholarships paid for 90% of it. Do well in HS and don't mess around.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:40 AM

378 posts, read 707,534 times
If you are entering your junior year, you will soon be taking the PSAT. Don't let the name fool you, this exam is important. A much wider variety of scholarship options will be available to you if you perform well enough to earn National Merit Finalist standing.

Here are the state cutoff scores for past years (scroll down), as well as background info:
National Merit Scholarships

Here is the official student guide, with practice questions:
http://www.nationalmerit.org/student_guide.pdf

Here is a list of schools offering NMF scholarships:
College Confidential - View Single Post - NMF Scholarships: An Updated Compilation
(this information is not exhaustive and may not be accurate, verify and search for yourself)

Good luck.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:30 AM

977 posts, read 1,815,305 times
National Merit Scholarship
Student loans
Pell Grants (yeah for growing up poor)
Parents paid a little bit
Work-study job
Financial Aid other than Pell Grants

Getting an NMF scholarship is pretty difficult so I wouldn't count on that, but definitely take the PSAT seriously since you never know.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:44 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
I went to a community college and lived at home. I received my BA later in life. I got a job at a university and received tuition remission, so that's how I got that. I'm half way done with my MA now. I pay for it by having a second job (in addition to my full time job), and I need all of that money to pay my tuition.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:47 PM

243 posts, read 1,630,024 times
working several dead-end jobs and loans, loans, and more loans

Old 08-24-2011, 02:07 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
I attended a community college, did very well there and won a scholarship to study at a university. My education would have ended with an associates degree if I had not own that scholarship. I just did not have the money to go on.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:13 PM

8 posts, read 12,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Just so we're clear, 99% of schools do not cost $40,000 per year in tuition. If you live in Michigan, California, Virginia, Texas, or North Carolina, tuition to a top 25 school would be less than $10,000 a year.
I totally understand that. Unfortunately, I live in NJ, where schools can easily be $30,000 a year for tuition (Seton Hall for example). Excuse my previous hyperbole.

As to everyone else, I have taken the PSAT sophomore year, and will be taking it again junior year. I had a score of 186 (1860 if it were SATs) and my GPA is about a 3.8-3.9., so I'm really hoping working hard to maintain good grades will pay off in scholarships. You folks definitely just gave me even more motivation to do well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities