Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 03:13 PM

337 posts, read 1,023,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I feel that the parents should be the life guidance counselors. The school and it's staff are great tools in teaching, but should not take away from the fact that the parents are the primary teacher in the end. Let's put the blame where it is due.
True, but that doesn't mean counselors shouldn't have some responsibility in advising kids. The ultimate responsibility goes to the parents and the kids themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 03:16 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,776,857 times
not all colleges are the same, neither are majors. Go to a State University even if it the likes of UNLV or ASU---you will be so much better off, and you won't be buried in debt that absolutely will not go away.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I feel like a broken record, but apparently it merits saying over and over again, because it's a commonly held misconception... state schools are not always the least costly option, due to private schools' generally being able to offer more in aid that does not have to be repaid. I realize this is an unimportant factor to folks who are not able to get grants and scholarships, and who would be paying full cost at a private school. But for those who are eligible for scholarships and grants, they are typically more abundant at private schools, and that money can drastically lower the sticker price of a formerly-too-costly private school, even to the point of being lower than a given public school. Savvy students who have the grades are OFTEN able to get an affordable education without going to public university route.

Besides, all college environments are not created equally, and an environment that suits one person doesn't necessarily suit another. I very purposefully chose a small, close-knit liberal arts community...for some, that would not be the right place for them. Just as I knew a large public university system was not the place for me.

For the most part, people who truly fail miserably at life (i.e. REALLY FAIL...not find themselves having to take a less attractive job in a pinch) do so because of things THEY DO OR DON'T DO. It's not the school's fault if they went to a school that didn't suit them, if they didn't spend a lot of time focused on learning, didn't choose a field that suits them, didn't spend any time researching how to make their skills and qualifications work for them in a way that would allow them to earn a living, didn't have somebody holding their hand every step of the way and coaching them through, whatever. At some point, the buck stops with you, and it's time to quit laying the blame at the feet of others. Only people who can't take care of themselves blame everyone else in the world for their shortcomings.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:45 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,296,891 times
In order to compete with each other, colleges promote their strengths and limit exposure to their weaknesses, the same as any other service. You don't see fast food commercials advertising that a third of their customers think that the food tastes like crap.

Four of the five kids in my family went to private liberal arts colleges. I got a chemistry degree and I am now a chemistry professor. My next brother got a theology degree and he is now a pastor. My sister got a psychology degree and now she is a psychiatric nurse and a year away from being a nurse practitioner. My youngest sister got a marketing degree and she works in advertising. My youngest brother did not see the value of a liberal arts degree, so he got an associates degree in IT and went to work. He is now considering going back to school to get a degree in criminal justice. All of us had to take out some loans, but they are all paid off. If you are mature enough out of high school to pick something that you are good at and motivated, conventional four year college may be a good decision. If you aren't interested, talented, and motivated in a chosen career path it is probably not a good idea to waste your money studying it.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:02 PM

547 posts, read 939,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
At some point, the buck stops with you, and it's time to quit laying the blame at the feet of others. Only people who can't take.
I wouldn't say that to the millions of Americans who are unemployed and have done all they can in order to succeed but still can't get anywhere because of the economy.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:38 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
I hear you can make 100k working at home without a degree!

Old 09-09-2011, 11:20 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
I hear you can make 100k working at home without a degree!
Sure. I did it. It's why I initially dropped out of school. But I eventually went back for the network and experience.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:29 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreamerx0 View Post
I agree....what's so wrong about wanting higher education? Some people actually want to learn
No joke right? My advisor is STILL trying to talk me out of 6 classes I want to take (Physics being one of them), since they don't "fit" into the college's plan for this field of study. Pish tosh! How can ANY advanced classes (if you have the skill and desire to excel in them) be a bad thing?

By the time I have my MSNA, I will have 13 classes taken that have NOTHING to do with my degree (not gen ed reqs either), but I want to take them for the desire to learn.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:57 AM

919 posts, read 1,781,792 times
The biggest con job that unis are engaging in are in their financial aide departments. I would advise everyone to watch the 60 Minutes piece on the subject. I'll post the title of a book on the subject which escapes me for a much more in depth analysis of just how corrupt most unis have become.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:10 PM

38 posts, read 135,597 times
There is nothing more valuable than education, ignorance is cheap. I have three degrees and am very proud of them, but more importantly I am proud of what I learned. If you go to school so you can make money you are wasting your time, there are lots of ways to make money without education. You should go to school to better yourself not to make money. Some of us have professions that we love and would do them for free just for the pleasure of doing it. I am sorry you do not have that but those of us that do are better off for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities