Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2011, 11:48 AM

44 posts, read 116,063 times

Advertisements

Unlike the traditional college student, I have 17+ years of solid construction management experience. However, I feel stuck in mid-level management and would like to move onto a senior position, increase my salary & benefits package and provide more stability/job security to my position by going back to get my bachelors degree.

I am just very undecided on what major to pursue, and from what school.

While many people in my career have BS/CM degrees, I feel the CM degree is just a repeat of what I've already proved I can do for the past 17 years. Instead I would like to add more depth to compliment my great experience. Civil engineering was an option, but frankly, I am not certain I want to dedicate that much effort as I have no intentions of ever being a "true engineer" and getting my PE stamp. So I was thinking a business degree of some sort might be better suited.

FYI, shortly after high school I was able to knock out about 20-30 hours of basics at a local community college before I finally decided to focus fully on work and let college slip into the distant unknown.

I did visit with this local CC a few weeks ago, and they told me my previous classes were still valid and I should move forward to complete an AS with them, before transferring to a 4-year university. There response wasn't a big surprise, but in fairness I am not sure how many places would accept my old credits and I think having a fresh AS would make the transfer easier.

The local CC further recommended I look into a BA/Admin Leadership program at University of Oklahoma and also possibly BS/Organizational Leadership at Southern Nazarene University. Both offer traditional campus classes, as well as online options so the degree would read like a "normal degree" and not be classified as an "online degree". I know OU is a good school, and believe it would look good on my resume as opposed to SNU. But I am uncertain about the BA vs BS. Also I am not sure what an Admin Leadership degree really does for me, and what sort of value it adds.

http://www.ou.edu/content/cls/aud/pr...rams/baal.html

http://snu.edu/organizational-leadership2

I wish the OU online program had something like business management or economics but they don't. Perhaps what they offer is good enough and I'm just mind blocked.

Anyhow, would like some input and thought from others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 05:42 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,030,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opsec View Post
Unlike the traditional college student, I have 17+ years of solid construction management experience. However, I feel stuck in mid-level management and would like to move onto a senior position, increase my salary & benefits package and provide more stability/job security to my position by going back to get my bachelors degree.

I am just very undecided on what major to pursue, and from what school.

While many people in my career have BS/CM degrees, I feel the CM degree is just a repeat of what I've already proved I can do for the past 17 years. Instead I would like to add more depth to compliment my great experience. Civil engineering was an option, but frankly, I am not certain I want to dedicate that much effort as I have no intentions of ever being a "true engineer" and getting my PE stamp. So I was thinking a business degree of some sort might be better suited.

FYI, shortly after high school I was able to knock out about 20-30 hours of basics at a local community college before I finally decided to focus fully on work and let college slip into the distant unknown.

I did visit with this local CC a few weeks ago, and they told me my previous classes were still valid and I should move forward to complete an AS with them, before transferring to a 4-year university. There response wasn't a big surprise, but in fairness I am not sure how many places would accept my old credits and I think having a fresh AS would make the transfer easier.

The local CC further recommended I look into a BA/Admin Leadership program at University of Oklahoma and also possibly BS/Organizational Leadership at Southern Nazarene University. Both offer traditional campus classes, as well as online options so the degree would read like a "normal degree" and not be classified as an "online degree". I know OU is a good school, and believe it would look good on my resume as opposed to SNU. But I am uncertain about the BA vs BS. Also I am not sure what an Admin Leadership degree really does for me, and what sort of value it adds.

Bachelor of Arts in Administrative Leadership - College of Liberal Studies - The University of Oklahoma

Organizational Leadership | Southern Nazarene University

I wish the OU online program had something like business management or economics but they don't. Perhaps what they offer is good enough and I'm just mind blocked.

Anyhow, would like some input and thought from others.
I have worked in construction, construction management, environmental, etc.

I'd say go for a Geology degree. It's easier than the Engineering degree and has a similar certification (PG). I know lots of CMs who are geologists.

On a side note,

You have 17+ years experience in your field. You probably know better than some random person on a message board what degrees/certifications help you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities