Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 08:00 PM

337 posts, read 1,023,583 times

Advertisements

Why on earth would you do a CRNA and then a PhD? CRNA is a difficult field to get into and pays much better than most PhD jobs. And once you get that PhD, the CRNA will be useless. So pick one or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 08:32 PM

74 posts, read 566,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomgd3 View Post
Why on earth would you do a CRNA and then a PhD? CRNA is a difficult field to get into and pays much better than most PhD jobs. And once you get that PhD, the CRNA will be useless. So pick one or the other.
I am choosing the CRNA path because it will get me working faster than if I went to be a surgeon. I am a non traditional student that has a family to support, along with finishing my degree. The PhD has been recommended by others that know me. From what I have been told, if I want to move into management-which I do-then I will need the PhD. If you have other suggestions, I am all ears.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:27 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
As a teacher, being in the Honors Program, felt like a mill stone around my neck. I would get the most suspcious looks and snide remarks from interviewers like--"So you graduated with HONORS, huh?" or "You must be SMART, huh?"

In education it seemed not to be worth it. After I took the Honors Program OFF my resume, I had a lot more job offers..
This never happened to me. In fact, the only time I've ever had an interviewer be rude to me (more in the form of unprofessional demeanor) has been in the few interviews I've had where I decided very quickly in the interview that it wasn't a job I wanted, and the rudeness of the interviewer was the deal-clincher. But, again, nobody who's ever interviewed me has been critical of my academic achievement.

All "honors" designates on my transcript is the fact that my GPA was above a certain number. It doesn't designate a particular program. The entrance requirements at my alma mater were such that virtually the entire course catalog constituted honors classes.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:34 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
As a teacher, being in the Honors Program, felt like a mill stone around my neck. I would get the most suspcious looks and snide remarks from interviewers like--"So you graduated with HONORS, huh?" or "You must be SMART, huh?"

In education it seemed not to be worth it. After I took the Honors Program OFF my resume, I had a lot more job offers..
I've never had this experience in the private sector.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:36 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
I never had it in the private OR public sectors.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:16 AM

44 posts, read 116,196 times
First off, nice career choice. Great money, and interesting work!

As far as your professor(s), I think they are giving you bad advice. As you probably aware, CRNA schools are not located everywhere and are very picky. I am not sure your current progress in the overall scheme, but eventually you will need to be an RN, with BSN degree. My better half is currently contemplating going for her CRNA, and her research concludes getting into school is very tricky. You need good experience, plus a MINIMUM 3.0 GPA. And the higher the GPA, the better.

This is an education & career path that you have a lot to lose by slacking off. I'd personally spend the extra time and get as close to a 4.0 as possible.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opsec View Post
First off, nice career choice. Great money, and interesting work!

As far as your professor(s), I think they are giving you bad advice. As you probably aware, CRNA schools are not located everywhere and are very picky. I am not sure your current progress in the overall scheme, but eventually you will need to be an RN, with BSN degree. My better half is currently contemplating going for her CRNA, and her research concludes getting into school is very tricky. You need good experience, plus a MINIMUM 3.0 GPA. And the higher the GPA, the better.

This is an education & career path that you have a lot to lose by slacking off. I'd personally spend the extra time and get as close to a 4.0 as possible.
Thank you for your advice. I am currently at a 3.93 and should be a little higher than that by the end of this semester. In my current school, GPA does not seem to matter much at all. However, I just talked to CWRU and they were thrilled about my GPA. Glad I asked the question on here and spoke with them. I was real close to slacking off this semester.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:01 AM

44 posts, read 116,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbleweed118 View Post
Thank you for your advice. I am currently at a 3.93 and should be a little higher than that by the end of this semester. In my current school, GPA does not seem to matter much at all. However, I just talked to CWRU and they were thrilled about my GPA. Glad I asked the question on here and spoke with them. I was real close to slacking off this semester.
You're welcome. Glad it helped.

Keep the faith. A 3.93 is pretty darn good, lol. I think you will be okay. And glad to hear CWRU backed up everyone's impressions here about the GPA. CRNA's start in the $150k range! And they go upwards in steep amounts from there. Like I said, lots to lose if you don't get accepted.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:36 AM

337 posts, read 1,023,583 times
So why exactly do you need the PhD? And why do you want to move into "management"? CRNA's are clinical personnel, the career path doesn't really lead to management. PhD and CRNA are basically mutually exclusive career paths.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomgd3 View Post
So why exactly do you need the PhD? And why do you want to move into "management"? CRNA's are clinical personnel, the career path doesn't really lead to management. PhD and CRNA are basically mutually exclusive career paths.
I want to move into management because I delegate authority more so than being receptive to it. The PhD is not my ambition. I have not done any research on it to know for certain whether or not I need it. Others in the medical field told me that if I am looking for management, then I will have to get the PhD. In time, I will do more research, but for right now I am only focusing on my immediate needs-CRNA. As I have already mentioned, I have a family that I am trying to support on top of going to school. If I focus solely on my PhD, I will be waiting much longer than I prefer to get back to a decent income again. The CRNA will get me back to the income level I had. All this to know if GPA is important? Anyways, thanks to you and everyone else for the positive feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities