Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:03 PM

44 posts, read 116,182 times

Advertisements

What do you guys think about this degree? Worth the money and effort? Or am I better off pursuing something else? If so, what? And where? I prefer "brick & mortar" schools that offer online degrees and accreditation is always a concern.

Does my background matter? I have a 17 years of construction management experience. No degree (yet). Stuck in middle management, and need/want a bachelors to move onto senior management.

Your input is greatly, greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Direct Link (better format): BAAL Degree Plan - College of Liberal Studies - The University of Oklahoma
List of Electives Link: http://www.ou.edu/content/dam/cls/documents/cls_electives.pdf (broken link)

OU College of Liberal Studies - Bachelor of Arts in Administrative Leadership Degree Plan

Graduation Requirements
- A minimum of 120 hours is needed for a Bachelor of Arts in Administrative Leadership.
- A minimum of 30 hours must be earned from the OU College of Liberal Studies.
- A minimum of 60 hours must be earned from a baccalaureate (four-year) institution.
- A minimum of 40 hours must be upper-division coursework.
- No more than 30 lower-division and upper-division hours can be waived with advanced standing credit.
- A minimum grade point average of 2.0 is needed for graduation.
Degree Components

A. General Education Requirements
- 40 to 50 Hours; all grades must be "D" or higher
- An Associate of Arts (A.A.) or an Associate of Science (A.S.) from an accredited Oklahoma institution waives the lower-division general education requirements

I. Symbolic & Oral Communication, 9-19hrs
English Composition I: LSTD 1233 Interdisciplinary Comp I
English Composition II: LSTD 1243 Interdisciplinary Comp II
Math for Critical Thinking: LSTD 1413 Math for Liberal Studies
Liberal Arts & Sciences Course: Met by Degree Completion Requirements (LSTD 3253)
Foreign Language: 2 courses in the same language (10 hours) or 2 years in high school Must be taken outside of the College of Liberal Studies

ll. Natural Science, 7hrs
One Lab Science (4 hours): LSTD 2413 Life Sciences and LSTD 1423 Physical Sciences
One Non-Lab Science (3 hours): LSTD 2423 Science as a Process

III. Social Science, 6hrs
American Federal Government: LSTD 1323 Governing Ourselves
Any Social Science Class: LSTD 1313 What are Social Sciences

IV. Humanities, 12hrs
Understanding Art Forms: LSTD 3223 Renaissance Art
U.S. History: LSTD 1223 History of the United States
Upper-Division Western Civilization and Culture: LSTD 3233 or 3243 Humanities of the Ancient or Modern World
Non-Western Culture: LSTD 3263 Non-Western Art

V. Senior Capstone, 3hrs
Capstone Course: Met by Degree Completeion Requirements (LSTD 4953)

B. B.A. in Administrative Leadership Major Requirements
- 39 hours; all grades must is a "C" of higher.

LSTD 3503 Interdiciplinary Inquiry 3
LSTD 3613 Leadership in Organizations 3
LSTD 3623 Conflict Resolution 3
LSTD 3663 Ethics in Leadership 3
LSTD 4613 Goal Setting and Attainment 3
LSTD 4643 Cultural Diversity in the World 3
LSTD 4663 Quality Initiatives 3
LSTD 4633 Non-Profit Management 3
LSTD BAAL MAJOR ELECTIVE 3
LSTD 3953
Study-in-Depth Prospectus 3
LSTD 4953
Study-in-Depth 3

C. Electives
- 0 to 72 Hours; all grades must be a "D" or higher.
- Electives fulfill the remaining hours necessary for the completion of a B.A. degree after general education and B.A. major requirements have been met.
- Electives can be taken online through the College of Liberal Studies and/or transferred from another college or university, subject to the minimum graduation requirements presented above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 07:34 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
At least in my neck of the woods, which is a decade of corporate finance experience in Fortune 100 companies, this degree wouldn't mean much. A degree in "leadership" does not at all indicate whether or not you actually have good leadership experience or abilities. People who want to move ahead into leadership positions typically arm themselves with MBAs from reputable universities - but they first and foremost need to demonstrate their leadership ability through their progressively successful experience. Nothing gets handed to you just because you have a degree.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:11 AM

44 posts, read 116,182 times
Thank you so much for your insight and openness regarding the matter.

I whole heartedly agree about this, or any, degree earning you absolutely nothing, and that leadership is proved through experience.

What would you recommend in lieu of this degree?

I do have 17+ years of solid work experience, showing progressive advances in leadership, responsibility and success. This past year on 4 separate occasions I have been told my experience is awesome, they have complete faith I could do the job, BUT I don’t I don’t have an undergraduate degree and don’t fit the mold so they can’t promote/hire me to that position. It is extremely frustrating to say the least.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:05 AM

723 posts, read 2,192,944 times
At first blush that degree seems kinda...meh...bachelor in administrative leadership........
Just have never heard that title, is all. As far as alternatives, I'm not sure what would be best if you already have experience. If your company has an intranet that lists information on employees, some may have their degree listed, so you can use that as a base. No shame in doing what your superiors have done; it's how they got there, right?

Additionally , I would pursue certification in addition to getting the degree. At worse, it can be used as another talking point during a "why you want this promotion" interview. For those superiors who may already have this certification, it may help you get on their good side.

Certified Construction Manager (http://cmaanet.org/certification-process-0 - broken link)
Project Management Professional

Note that I have no experience with the CMAA's CCM. I think since you fit the requirements for the PMP, that will be alot of benefit.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:25 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opsec View Post
Thank you so much for your insight and openness regarding the matter.

I whole heartedly agree about this, or any, degree earning you absolutely nothing, and that leadership is proved through experience.

What would you recommend in lieu of this degree?

I do have 17+ years of solid work experience, showing progressive advances in leadership, responsibility and success. This past year on 4 separate occasions I have been told my experience is awesome, they have complete faith I could do the job, BUT I don’t I don’t have an undergraduate degree and don’t fit the mold so they can’t promote/hire me to that position. It is extremely frustrating to say the least.
They best way to answer that is probably to first answer: what are your career aspirations? Do you want to move up in management ranks dealing with strategy and financial expansion? Do you want to head up some more technically rigorous construcion engineering org unit?

Old 09-14-2011, 12:24 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,106,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opsec View Post
...BUT I don’t I don’t have an undergraduate degree and don’t fit the mold so they can’t promote/hire me to that position. It is extremely frustrating to say the least.
A lot of companies use the bachelor's degree as a gatekeeping device. While I don't agree with that strategy, it is what it is. If I were in your shoes, I'd look to see if the company has a specific type of degree they require for advancement or if they're open to any degree so long as it starts with "Bachelor." If the former is the case, get the degree they're looking for. If they'll take anything, I guess the Administrative Leadership degree will work as well as any of them (though this is the first I've heard of any such program).

If you want to play it safe, I'd say go for a good old-fashioned B.S. in Business Administration.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:37 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
I personally wouldn't go for the degree that my employer wants. I would go for the degree that makes you the most marketable. Your employer may go belly up and you would be left with a worthless degree.

I would think that a civil engineering degree would help you best.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:03 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
It is a degree that will let you say you have a degree. That's about it.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:04 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
A BA in "Leadership" sounds like a marketing ploy, at best; very dubious..

Old 09-14-2011, 01:21 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,106,783 times
Unless the OP has a desire to become a licensed engineer, I wouldn't go for an engineering degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities