Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 10:15 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times

Advertisements

http://www.worldwidelearn.com/educat...tion-lies.html

Quote:
How can an online education be the "real" deal? let's separate the fact from the fiction.[/font][/color]

Lie #1: Online Degree Programs Are Too Expensive
When weighing the cost of education, consider the costs of not having a degree. Since online degree programs allow you to work at your own pace, classes can be taken as your budget permits. The goal of online classes is not to break your bank account, but to give you a degree that helps make your bank account grow.

Your thoughts???

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-15-2011 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: copyright - LINK and a snippet please

Old 09-13-2011, 10:45 PM

165 posts, read 323,070 times
An online degree from say University of Maryland University College is NOT the same as a degree from say Almeda University... If a school has to "sell" prospective students on its accreditation status and credibility, 9 times out of 10, it's a crappy school and one should avoid it all costs.

You don't hear or eread about most reputable brick and mortar schools talking about its accreditation status because of its already established reputation.

These crappy online, for profit schools have contributed to the impending education bubble that's about to burst.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:05 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBound09 View Post
An online degree from say University of Maryland University College is NOT the same as a degree from say Almeda University... If a school has to "sell" prospective students on its accreditation status and credibility, 9 times out of 10, it's a crappy school and one should avoid it all costs.

You don't hear or eread about most reputable brick and mortar schools talking about its accreditation status because of its already established reputation.

These crappy online, for profit schools have contributed to the impending education bubble that's about to burst.
Many colleges and universities have begun to offer online degree programs. State Universities for nearly every state now offer an online degree program (particularly graduate level programs). Someone who is interested in doing a program online needs to do their research on the school's program reputation.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:52 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times
Everything written is BS!! I took several classes at Phoenix University Online an accrediated online university. I went to transfer those classes, which were VERY expensive, to my local California State University and was laughed out of the counselor's office.

Online education is a joke. Its a waste of time and, morever, a TOTAL waste of money. Of course, the woodwork will come out and slam me.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:12 AM

454 posts, read 1,242,638 times
How much did you get paid to post that?

Good laugh none the less.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:11 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Everything written is BS!! I took several classes at Phoenix University Online an accrediated online university. I went to transfer those classes, which were VERY expensive, to my local California State University and was laughed out of the counselor's office.

Online education is a joke. Its a waste of time and, morever, a TOTAL waste of money. Of course, the woodwork will come out and slam me.
Two years ago I would have flamed you.

I know several people who have worked very hard getting their degrees from Kaplan and UoP.

They are worthless. No employers take them seriously. Now my friends are stuck with mounds of debt for nothing.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:18 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
[/color]
The Online Education Lies Are Debunked!

Your thoughts???

[/color][/color]
Did you take this straight from some for profit school's marketing literature?

My decade of experience in a variety of major corporations - as an employee, an interviewee, and and interviewer - says unequivocally that the white collar job candidate who got their degree from a profit online school (even if accredited) is immediately at a disadvantage against the candidate with a degree from a traditional, highly-ranked university.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:35 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Do we really need another thread about on-line degrees??? While it's certainly okay to post it, this has been discussed over and over and over on this forum.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:27 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Who do you work for -- Kaplan, Strayer, or UoP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by a34dadsf View Post
How much did you get paid to post that?

Good laugh none the less.
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Honestly, these words aren't my own but were taken from an E-Mail that was sent to me from an online degree program. It's no surprise that members here would attack the poster rather than the post itself.

The reason for starting this was to get your opinions on the literature above, and because everything I have heard on this forum about online degrees is addressed in the OP. My question is, if these online programs are such a joke, then how can they continue to exist? If employers see them as a joke, wouldn't people catch on after awhile and quit paying for them?

Old 09-14-2011, 12:46 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Honestly, these words aren't my own but were taken from an E-Mail that was sent to me from an online degree program. It's no surprise that members here would attack the poster rather than the post itself.
Then maybe you should have said so from the get-go instead of making it look like your own words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Turns out the answer is yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities