Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 08:05 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,840 times

Advertisements

Actually, there are thousands of traditional colleges offering online degrees. Options for sociology might be more limited than more popular programs i.e. business administration, education, and criminal justice. Just by going to geteducated.com, I've found several more non-profits with online sociology programs.

Fort Hays State University
North Dakota State University
Athabasca University (in Canada but accredited in the U.S.)
Colorado State University
Park University
Thomas Edison State College
Adams State College
Columbia College
Mercy College
Excelsior College
Northeastern University

When you go the Southern Association website for distance education, there are even more schools.

Western Kentucky University
Dallas Baptist University
University of West Georgia (Criminology)
Troy University
University of North Alabama
University of Houston - Clear Lake (Criminology)
University of Texas - Permian Basin (Criminology)
Florida State University (Criminology)

From elearners.com:

Southern New Hampshire University
University of Nebraska - Kearney

Last edited by L210; 08-24-2012 at 08:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 11:15 AM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonchickfan View Post
I am currently attending a community college, earning my Associates 100% online, and it's time to start looking into schools for my Bachelors degree. Can anyone tell me if there are books or decent sites to help in my search?

At this point, I am doing things the old-fashioned way with going to each schools site, then searching to see if they offer online degrees. There are so many universities I am not aware of, I am afraid I may be missing out on more than I am finding (which isn't all that many). I have also found some schools offer a basic degree where as others offer a more in-depth degree, which is another reason why I am interested in researching as many universities as possible.

I am a Sociology major, if that makes any difference. I have found a few schools such as: UNLV, Oregon State, Michigan, Arizona State, and UNC-Pembroke, to name a few. I am not remotely interested in for-profit schools like U of Phoenix, Kaplan and such. It seems as though the searches I am conducting through various web links are giving me the schools I am not looking for.

Thank you in advance for any information.
Congrats on your up coming Associate degree! And on your good sense to avoid for profits!

I would avoid the internet entirely because of the saturation of advertisements from for profits, diploma mills and extremely expensive legit schools that offer very little aid.

I would invest in "Bears Guide to Earning Degrees Non traditionally" by John and Mariah Bear. It's available on Amazon.

They also rate the schools and call out diploma mills, scams and for profits.

Then do internet research. But first get this book.

~ Sheena

Old 09-05-2012, 01:27 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,840 times
Actually, many of the schools I listed from internet sources are some of the cheapest in the country, especially for out-of-state students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities