Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 07:16 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,582,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Another one who is protesting a bit much.

Some of us participate in class because we like to :gasp: communicate and :gasp: have educated conversations.

It ain't all about you! REALLY. It's not.

On the other hand, it's not about those who feel the need to express their opinions every 5 minutes either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 07:37 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
A good professor will moderate the responses so one or two people don't monopolize the conversation and solicit comments and reactions from people who don't talk very much. It's all about balance.

By the way, if you want to look smart, listen closely and speak last. That way you can bring up a point that no one mentioned. Any idiot can be first with the most obvious comment. It doesn't impress anyone.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:09 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
On the other hand, it's not about those who feel the need to express their opinions every 5 minutes either
Well, if the teacher/professor is asking for opinions and input on the topic, I'd say, yes, it is about the students who choose to participate in the discussion.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:52 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
I'm taking a class with 25% participation. We just have to say "what we feel" about the subjects we're covering through the semester. I agree with the OP. What a joke!
Not only that ... I'm hearing impaired so I usually miss 75% of what other students say so it's hard to contribute. Fortunately, I've never been docked points for lack of participation though ...

Old 09-20-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Participation is a pretty good indicator that the student is grasping the course content. Moreso than many other measures IMO. If you can have an off the cuff discussion on a subject that is intelligent and knowledgeable, it tells me you know the subject well.
Not everyone can just speak off the cuff ... Even if it involves subjects that they are knowledgeable about ... As a student, I rarely ever benefit from class discussions as they often veer off topic anyways.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
This society appears to reward robots who spend 12-14 hours per day in solitude studying. They mingle with only their own culture when not studying and exist as social retards unable to carry on a decent conversation with anyone outside of their cultural comfort zone. I wish class participation were a great percentage of the grade, with familiarity with people whose views differ from your own, another huge percentage.

Thumbs up on the class participation requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
People that just feel COMPELLED to "participate" used to annoy the hell out of me. They make things drag on and on and on. Enough already, let's move on.

Most of them do it for the attention. To feel important, or to show off how much they "know" to the rest of the class. Or in the case of someone who is asking questions, they are usually doing it to try to be in control of the class. To "prevent" them from moving forward. These are the people who ask the most stupid inane questions.

Makes me remember why I hated school so much.

20yrsinBranson
Exactly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
A good professor will moderate the responses so one or two people don't monopolize the conversation and solicit comments and reactions from people who don't talk very much. It's all about balance.

By the way, if you want to look smart, listen closely and speak last. That way you can bring up a point that no one mentioned. Any idiot can be first with the most obvious comment. It doesn't impress anyone.
I totally agree ... One of my biggest pet peeves when I was a student was having so much of class time monopolized by the very vocal minority of students, in which much of what they had to say was off topic! I just wish instructors would nip it in the bud when a vocal few attempts to dominate the entire class period. I paid good money to glean knowledge from my instructor, not to hear the irrelevant thoughts of my classmates!
Quote:
Well, if the teacher/professor is asking for opinions and input on the topic, I'd say, yes, it is about the students who choose to participate in the discussion.

Yeah but it isn't all about the one or two students that tries to dominate the whole class period ....

Old 09-21-2011, 03:50 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
What field do you work?
Research in early drug discovery.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Not everyone can just speak off the cuff ... Even if it involves subjects that they are knowledgeable about ... As a student, I rarely ever benefit from class discussions as they often veer off topic anyways.
Well most professors want you to at least try. Since participation grades are rarely a big chunk of your final grade, it isn't that big of a deal if you are not a good public speaker.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Yeah but it isn't all about the one or two students that tries to dominate the whole class period ....
That is a failing of the teacher/professor who isn't controlling the conversation effectively.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:28 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:

When I am in a class room, paying $400 a credit hour, I really don't give a rip about someone else's opinion or input. I am paying the teacher/professor/school to give me an education, not host a conversation with people who are clueless or have NO INFORMATION that is of value to me.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities