Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 07:40 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times

Advertisements

NJ:

Rated just right: Princeton

Overrated: None. Are any other schools rated highly at all in NJ?

Underrated: None that I can think of. I have been to several NJ universities, to use their facilities to study and none of them were memorable for being inspiring places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 06:05 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,013,584 times
Tampa, Fl: USF. The councilors at my CC and the representatives at USF all claim that their engineering program is really taking off, etc. I'll just quote a friend of mine who's going for his masters there now:

"I took their master's classes while I was doing my bachelor's at UF."

Old 04-07-2013, 12:33 AM

991 posts, read 1,110,136 times
Missouri

Overrated: Mizzou - okay academically but people here act like Mizzou should be BIG 10 school.
Underrated: SLU, Missouri State, Truman State

Old 04-07-2013, 12:26 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,803 times
New York

Overrated: NYU (depending on the program)

Underrated: New York is home to four great tuition-free schools, and three of them are schools that hardly anyone has ever heard of (the fourth one is West Point).

Cooper Union
Webb Institute
Merchant Marine Academy

Old 04-07-2013, 12:43 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,250 times
Arizona:

Overrated: University of Arizona

Underrated: Arizona State (say what you will about President Crowe's micromanagement tendencies, he's worked hard to rid the university of its "party school" image)

Completely worthless: Northern Arizona University (my alma mater)

Old 04-07-2013, 03:36 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
NJ:

Rated just right: Princeton

Overrated: None. Are any other schools rated highly at all in NJ?

Underrated: None that I can think of. I have been to several NJ universities, to use their facilities to study and none of them were memorable for being inspiring places.

Stevens Institute of Technology has a good reputation.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:38 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
I live in Michigan and this is based off of me and a few people I know that had experiences with it

Overrated:
Michigan State: From my experience, it's known more for parties and sports than academics, people say the party scene is overrated there, some people go there to live the "American Pie" life.

University of Michigan: It's harder to get into than alot of other colleges I heard. It's also known for parties and sports but education is talked about more when that school is mentioned than MSU is. Both colleges take sports (especially football) WAYYYYYY too seriously. Look at this:

From an academic standpoint, the University of Michigan is way overrated.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:46 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Stevens Institute of Technology has a good reputation.
I didn't even think of Stevens. Considering I've lived in NJ/NY for about 85% of my adult life, that's not a good sign.

NJIT comes to mind first.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:11 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
I would say that Stevens is rated properly.
NJIT is underrated in many fields and overrated in others.
Rutgers is way overrated for undergraduate programs.
TCNJ is underrated in certain fields while properly rated in others.
Thomas Edison is overrated in everything except professional programs.
Rider is what it is.
Former UMDNJ is what it is.
Princeton is what it is.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:27 PM

127 posts, read 165,194 times
I belive top private schools of Texas are underrated. People dismiss them because of expensive tuition though they offer generous merit scholarships and financial aid to good students and provide great education. Public universities of Texas are great for top 10% or bottom 50% but students who fall in middle, need something more personalized to help them get where they want to go.

Rice is the only private school that get credit. SMU, Baylor, TCU and Austin College are amazing underrated institutions that offer good academics, good community support, internship opportunities, academic advising, extracurricular etc. Everyone can't thrive and reach maximum potential in impersonal environment of UT among 55,000 students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities