U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2012, 12:10 PM

6,621 posts, read 11,170,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Does anyone know anything about Drake in Des Moines, Ia?
Drake University (StudentsReview) - Comments, Reviews and Advice, Student Life at Drake University
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 03:07 PM

20,793 posts, read 52,354,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Very little, but I will share what I know. It attracts an affluent student body, in general. I had a friend - a contemporary of mine- who transferred to Clark from Drake, not so much because he didn't like it, but after two years, he wanted to try an East Coast school and spread his wings a bit.
He liked Clark, and it's proximity to Boston AKA"Disney for College Students."

My impression garnered from several sources is that it's a competitive smaller private university, with a friendly, high achieving, student body that manages to balance work and play in equal measure.

Never heard anything bad about it. Also a friends daughter a graduate of George Washington University in DC, went there for Law School. She visited and loved it! She liked the more laid back atmosphere, and the friendly campus. She also returned in love with the neighborhood in was in - an especially nice section of Des Moines.

So all in all I'd give it a "heads up" as a place to look into. Also I THINK that they are pretty well endowed.

Who are you asking for?

Hope that this is a bit of help.
That is funny because all other accounts say that Drake is in a really not so nice area of Des Moines. We have twins that are juniors in high school and it came up on their match lists as a fairly high match so just looking for first hand, or close to first hand information.

Those student review sites are ok but generally not all that informative because kids downgrade schools because they got arrested for being drunk and other things that really are not relevant.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:22 PM

17,566 posts, read 21,741,355 times
The neighborhood might be subjective. The other information is all objective. Sorry if it is second hand. Just trying to help.

After reading your response, I looked up Drake in College Prowler. All of these reviews are also subjective, but they are more current.

It seems in terms of colleges and universities, that the "more things change, the more they remain the same" The classes and requirements of a college may change over time, but the "personality" and "character" and the demographic do not.

Schools that were progressive, unorthodox and non traditional in the 70s and 80s, seem in every case that I know of (and I know of many) retain those traits today. Schools that tended to be traditional, Greek and sports oriented, are still that way. Schools attracting a historically up-scale demographic, still do. Conservative colleges and universities seem to be the same, perhaps more so.

Check into Drake. I think you will find my assessment to be both true and relevant - a more competitive, smaller University (in terms of admission) active Greek life (but not OVERLY GREEK), students tend to come from well off families, and a good balance of work and play. Also, generally friendlier than most Eastern schools, and less aggressively competitive.

The "friendlier" part might apply to many Mid Western colleges. Personally I love the mid-west, and I think there are a lot of great schools out there that lack the name recognition of East Coast schools but are just as good, if not better, in many ways.

I've heard that Grinell (sp?) College, also in Iowa, has a different, more intense atmosphere, more evocative of East Coast schools. That's not first hand but it is from a young woman who worked for me several years ago.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:57 PM

DS toured Grinnell a couple weeks ago, HATED it. The admissions staff was rude when they got there, the tour guide spent more time texting his friends than giving the tour and he knew nothing about the programs my son was interested in. He won't be going there.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:05 PM

That would be consistent with what I've heard. They have a very high opinion of themselves, and are well known. Perhaps the combination of these facts gives them a license,in their mind, to be rude and abrupt. Not a good thing.
As we can see, bad news travels fast.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:58 PM

1,654 posts, read 6,602,579 times
Golfgal, is your son a junior or senior? I was going to say that if he toured Grinnell, he might be interested in Macalaster or Oberlin?

Old 03-01-2012, 08:36 PM

Or Carlton?

Old 03-02-2012, 08:29 AM

907 posts, read 1,311,784 times
Hey guys how about Manhattan College? I know its a catholic college but is the religious presece in the school high? LIke me not being a practicing catholic will i be an outcast?

Old 03-02-2012, 08:34 AM

52,614 posts, read 75,426,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
Hey guys how about Manhattan College? I know its a catholic college but is the religious presece in the school high? LIke me not being a practicing catholic will i be an outcast?
I'm not sure, but I doubt it. It is in NYC and I'm sure people of various faiths attend the college.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
Golfgal, is your son a junior or senior? I was going to say that if he toured Grinnell, he might be interested in Macalaster or Oberlin?
Junior and Mac and Carleton are out--way too close to home. We've looked into Oberlin but they don't have the major he wants and not that he can't change his mind down the road but he at least wants to try it.

We've done more research on Drake and it's probably not going to be a good fit. It sounds like Greek life is huge there and he isn't interested in that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities