U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 03:42 PM

12,523 posts, read 27,655,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
My son did look at Burlington. It's a great school for certain majors and types that are drawn to Burlington, which is so beautiful.

UVM has a totally different vibe. My son attends college in Vermont, and loves it! He will graduate this year.

I'd be happy to assist someone from my "old stomping grounds" Three Village School District.

Sometimes I miss Stony Brook/Setauket/ Old Field. It's magical.
Not sure if you meant Champlain when you said Burlington. Burlington college closed at the end of May this year. We also visited UVM and St. Mike's when we first visited Champlain. It was interesting comparing and contrasting the three colleges that are so close to each other. Champlain was the perfect fit for my son, but he was looking for a major that was not offered at many colleges.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 02:05 PM

386 posts, read 350,227 times
How is the University of Kansas in general?

Old 03-17-2017, 04:02 AM

480 posts, read 260,859 times
What is the Major?
Mae

Old 03-21-2017, 09:07 AM

1,420 posts, read 506,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
What is the Major?
Mae
Great question. Major and undergraduate GPA matter more than which school you go to.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:57 PM

205 posts, read 130,041 times
New Mexico State Universty (my alma mater so what do you expect)---low cost (better if you can establish residency first); top tier research land-grant institution known for its Physical Sciences Laboratory; great administration (really know how to make the process run smoothly from admissions to graduation); great scenery; great golf course (super cool terrain negotiations); great people (the town of Las Cruces was voted the most courteous town in the US more than once); campus life is study and research oriented not "Party" oriented (partying is at the students' own expense); unfortunately, graduation and retention rates are nothing to brag about though but, this is the trend with most state schools across the country (you are only going to find +85% retention and graduation rates in the prestigious Northeasterns and some of the southern privates); and the university is closely affiliated with the Texas A&M and the University of Colorado educational systems (students can interchange study and specialize in other fields with essentially headache free admissions if they are in good academic standing).
Texas A&M
The University of Colorado at Boulder--Medical school is the flagship
North Carolina State University (cheap cheap...with a lot of smart people doing serious research)
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill--super expensive and prestigious state university
Duke University (if you feel like dropping the nut to pay for it...)---> pretty good retention and graduation rates and overall GPA is relatively high (big party school though)
Washington University at St Louis (same situation as Duke) heavy priorities and emphasis on Medical, Architecture and Legal studies and research
The University of New Mexico at Albuquerque big time medical, life and physical sciences research and curriculum---struggling on some academic metrics though
Syracuse University (same as Duke uber expensive and pretty well known for its party atmosphere, in fact, Syracuse was ranked, "party school" numero uno in the U.S. two years ago)--top ranked, decent GPA, retention/grad rates are lower for the Northeast though...
The University of Missouri at Columbia We had some transfers or visiting students at NMSU from UM Columbia. It's supposed to be a pretty good school---low party rates, academic focus, and I've heard that their main vein in research is pharmacy and medical sciences (I don't know much about the school though)
Guardar

Old 04-15-2017, 11:03 AM

1,005 posts, read 484,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
This is a tread for those looking at colleges/universities to ask about various schools around the nation. Our kids are getting piles of information from colleges all over and we have no idea if they are good schools or not, many we have never heard of. Since there are people here from all over the country (world) this will be a good place to get feedback on schools.

Some of the recent mailings our kids have gotten have been from the University of Missouri and Champlain College in VT. Any feedback on those schools? What programs are they known for. What is admissions like-highly selective, selective, everyone gets in, etc.?

This is NOT a thread to bash those going to college. It is not a thread to complain about how much colleges cost. It is not a thread to come on here and say "not everyone should go to college". Anyone feeling they need to do any of these will have their posts deleted . Keep it civil please.

Note from toobusytoday
It may be helpful if posters would list some of their priorities in what they, or their child, is looking for in a college. For instance, if you want a college with a preppy feel and a football program, you would mention that. If you know the intended major, you would ask how strong that program is. If you need financial and/or merit aid, you would mention that.

I feel that there is a good college for everyone out there, but not every college is right for everyone. Here are some things to consider:

Location - part of the country - rural, urban, semi-rural
Size of student body - 1,000, 40,000 or somewhere in between
Cost -
Financial aid
Merit aid
Major
Campus atmosphere - preppy, laid back, all-work, etc.
Transportation - how close to public transportation
Co-op's required?
Graduation Rate
Avg. GPA of accepted students
% of students accepted
% of in-state students

All of these things may be on your radar when looking at colleges, if they are important to you, please put them in your post.
There is a recession about every ten years. Keep that in mind for college planning. I graduated into a recession in the early 1990s and wound up living at home - "Failure to Launch" (LOL). I have since earned multiple graduate degrees and have over 18 years of experience in software engineering or medical devices.

In the "Great Recession" of 2009 many elite college graduates wound up returning home to live with their parents. The desperation in their job searches was understandable for me since I experienced the same thing in the early 1990s.

So how can a parent avoid having a child return home if there is a recession in the next 4-6 years around the time they graduate?

The key in my opinion is to look at long-term trends and evaluate supply vs demand. So I would recommend work experience as soon as possible with "quick credentials". That would mean it's actually better for the young HS graduate to do the following:

1. Go to an community college and earn a work-related associate's degree quickly.
2. After earning the AA or AS, get a job directly related to the degree. If one cannot be found, then that means the AA or AS was not worth getting.
3. This early choice of a work-related major and job experience builds a much stronger knowledge base for transferring to a major university with success for a job after graduation. For example, if the student earns an associate's in electronic health records and likes the experience, then this can lead to strong choice of majors in allied health, computer science, accounting, or health informatics at major universities.

And most community colleges have transition programs for the junior year after graduation.

The work-based curriculum can help prevent the "Failure to Launch" of the "Boomerang" kids.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/22/m...eave.html?_r=0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjfNxNG4P_Q

Old 04-15-2017, 09:28 PM

16,296 posts, read 9,467,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Great question. Major and undergraduate GPA matter more than which school you go to.
Really?

So a MBA with a 4.0 GPA is more valuable than an Ethnic Studies major from Cal Berkeley?

Interesting.

Old 04-16-2017, 11:36 AM

205 posts, read 130,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J800 View Post
How is the University of Kansas in general?
Great school!!! There is a lot of "Do it yourself" though...nobody is holding your hand there...

Old 04-16-2017, 12:12 PM

16,296 posts, read 9,467,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Really?

So a MBA with a 4.0 GPA is more valuable than an Ethnic Studies major from Cal Berkeley?

Interesting.
Sorry, seems like I can't edit this post but I meant to say, "a MBA with a 4.0 GPA from University of Phoenix..."

Old 04-02-2018, 03:18 AM

3 posts, read 2,612 times
Hi everyone,
This forum looks amazing and as I am looking into doing an MBA in a US university I wanted to hear your opinion on an option I have set my heart on. I have been looking for a good program for over 8 months now and my attention landed on this university - Chicago-booth. I am most interested in it as it has a campuses in three different countries and I can take courses in any of them (London will be the one I will be attending mostly, but diploma will cover all). As the costs are quite out there I was wondering what is your opinion of the school - I did meet with a representative and they did mention a few options for scholarships, but if I do not land one I want to be sure this is truly worth my time and money. As I have no friends or family in US (living in Europe) I would appreciate some feedback on the reputation the entity has - after all I will be looking for a job afterwords and I would like to keep my options for the US market open.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-07-2018 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: Removed link. New posters cannot post links
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities