U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 11:34 AM

12,455 posts, read 27,063,999 times

Advertisements

Of those schools William and Mary is my top choice but it's probably the most competitive too. Great location! One of my nephews attends University of Dayton, he likes it but is in the business department and he switched there from engineering which was too challenging for him.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 04:07 PM

448 posts, read 452,185 times
Top choices are:

1. Pitt
2. Pitt
3. Pitt

Old 11-08-2011, 04:39 PM

3,008 posts, read 4,163,793 times
Butler is in the city and is a very good school. Top Fine Arts, top pharmacy, top Pharmacy Assistant.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:59 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,466,511 times
I think this is a great thread and just wanted to share this link:

Colleges That Change Lives | Changing Lives, One Student at a Time

Because they list some interesting, out-of-the-box suggestions.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Penn State is the flagship college in Pennsylvania. It is very well thought of in the state but also very expensive. Tuition alone for one year for an out of state student is $28,00 plus another $9,000 for room and board. It is also the most competitive college to get into from all of the colleges on your list.
Thanks for pointing this out. I'm amazed at the students/parents who look at top-tier state colleges (from out of state) and yet rule out private schools.

I just don't get it. At that price point private schools are definitely in the picture.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
They're all good, huge state schools.

You'll need to pick based on location...

If it were me,

It'd be Austin, then Atlanta. Then wherever the h@ll Purdue is
Funny because I went to UT and my SO went to Purdue for both undergrad and grad school.

Austin is a reputable school (of course), and the student experience is wonderful. Smack dab in the "live-music capital of the world" (). Big party scene, great outdoor activities year-round (running, cycling/mountain biking, rock climbing, rowing etc). Excellent restaurants, coffee shops and bars. And yes the blonde Texas co-eds really are that hot (and no I wasn't one of them ---more of a nerdy art-girl).

The downside? All that fun can get in the way of serious matriculation.

Purdue? Well it really is in the middle of cornfields. Sorry Boilermakers! We looked at that school for my daughter and she said "no way". On the other hand, if you want an excellent engineering school with some serious cred and no distraction? It could be a great fit. You'd be an hour away from Indy and, ~2 hours from Chicago for your big-city fix.

Don't know much about Atlanta. Sorry.

Also wondering if Virginia Tech and University of Michigan are on your list?

Old 11-08-2011, 10:42 PM

8,185 posts, read 21,737,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Ok, how about these schools:

University of Dayton
Butler University in Indianapolis--and is this IN Indianapolis or in a suburb?
College of William and Mary
University of Northern Iowa
Valparaiso University

Probably majoring in biology or chemistry looking to go on to medical school

How are the math departments at these schools as well?
William and Mary all the way. It's the oldest public university in the U.S. (founded in 1639), Thomas Jefferson is an alum, it's close to the Chesapeake/Atlantic, it's ranked 33rd nationally (if you care about USN&WR rankings) and its name carries weight.

I am not sure about its biology or chem programs at the undergrad level, but I'm sure they are decent considering the reputation of the school.

Valparaiso is the only other university I've heard of on your list. I don't know much about it other than its engineering college is highly ranked. I believe it is within the top 25 nationally. So, I would imagine their Math Department is tops as well.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:50 PM

7,393 posts, read 9,419,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Thanks for pointing this out. I'm amazed at the students/parents who look at top-tier state colleges (from out of state) and yet rule out private schools.

I just don't get it. At that price point private schools are definitely in the picture.
Pitt's just as good as Penn State and a lot more generous with merit/financial aid.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:21 PM

12,455 posts, read 27,063,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Pitt's just as good as Penn State and a lot more generous with merit/financial aid.
Actually I wouldn't say that Pitt is really more generous with fin aid then PSU.

You can compare them here: College Navigator - University of Pittsburgh-Pittsburgh Campus

I find it interesting to see how it seems to swing back and forth as to which school is more appealing each year, at least at our HS. For the last couple of years it's been Pitt, but when my oldest was in HS several years ago, it was Penn State. Both are very good colleges.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:23 PM

7,393 posts, read 9,419,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Actually I wouldn't say that Pitt is really more generous with fin aid then PSU.

You can compare them here: College Navigator - University of Pittsburgh-Pittsburgh Campus

I find it interesting to see how it seems to swing back and forth as to which school is more appealing each year, at least at our HS. For the last couple of years it's been Pitt, but when my oldest was in HS several years ago, it was Penn State. Both are very good colleges.
PSU gives full rides to valedictorians, but otherwise the max. merit aid they give out is $3,500 a year I believe. Pitt gives a lot of full rides.

Both are good schools. Penn State has the brand name, but Pitt is an equally good school overall. Pitt is better in some programs, Penn State is better than others. It's a wash, and should come down to cost and preferred environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities