U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 12:44 PM

358 posts, read 561,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Of those schools William and Mary is my top choice but it's probably the most competitive too. Great location! One of my nephews attends University of Dayton, he likes it but is in the business department and he switched there from engineering which was too challenging for him.
I'm curious why would you say W&M was in a good location? No doubt it's a beautiful campus. But I used to live in the area and I always thought it was a little bizarre that the campus was surrounded by a very busy tourist attraction...colonial Willamsburg. I felt bad for the students trying to have relaxing run through the area...having to dodge tour buses and strollers.

And what is the campus really near? There is no downtown to speak of. The closest cities are...Norfolk and Richmond.

???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 02:16 PM

12,455 posts, read 27,063,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouzon View Post
I'm curious why would you say W&M was in a good location? No doubt it's a beautiful campus. But I used to live in the area and I always thought it was a little bizarre that the campus was surrounded by a very busy tourist attraction...colonial Willamsburg. I felt bad for the students trying to have relaxing run through the area...having to dodge tour buses and strollers.

And what is the campus really near? There is no downtown to speak of. The closest cities are...Norfolk and Richmond.

???
It's a great location if you are a history buff and love Williamsburg!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I think this is a great thread and just wanted to share this link:

Colleges That Change Lives | Changing Lives, One Student at a Time

Because they list some interesting, out-of-the-box suggestions.
I liked the premise of this book and I like many colleges in it, but really if you look at many small LAC's they often have some quirky and/or innovative things that could match any of those schools. I think the author of this book opened many people's eyes to realize that you don't have to be rich or an A student to attend a private school.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:26 AM

20,793 posts, read 52,354,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouzon View Post

???
Actually, the campus sounds perfect . I would hate to be in a major metro area campus where it feels more like a city then a college campus, but that isn't the case for everyone though, obviously.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:53 PM

41,314 posts, read 38,470,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
This is really a place for real life experiences with various universities. It isn't just for us but just a place for anyone to ask questions and answer questions. Parents of sophomore/juniors in high school will understand after getting inundated with college information.
I've already started "researching" and my oldest is a sophomore.

I've already got stress headaches from thinking about college for the girls.

Quote:
The hitch to all of this is that she is getting recruited to play golf, so, depending on offers there, these 3 may or may not be on her list next year.
Both my girls play golf and are hoping to play in college. How did the recruiters find your girl?

Last edited by sanrene; 11-27-2011 at 10:06 PM..

Old 11-28-2011, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I've already started "researching" and my oldest is a sophomore.

I've already got stress headaches from thinking about college for the girls.

Both my girls play golf and are hoping to play in college. How did the recruiters find your girl?
Mainly through information in the newspapers, state golf tournaments, summer golf tours (Jr. PGA). What kind of scores do your girls shoot? There are a lot of golf scholarships out there for girls, more so then pretty much any sport. We have done some campus visits and have met with some coaches on campus but if you are looking at DI or DII schools, they can't contact athletes until the end of their junior season. Golf for us is a spring sport. They can watch her play, etc. and we have seen them at the summer tournaments and the state tournament mostly so far.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Mainly through information in the newspapers, state golf tournaments, summer golf tours (Jr. PGA). What kind of scores do your girls shoot? There are a lot of golf scholarships out there for girls, more so then pretty much any sport. We have done some campus visits and have met with some coaches on campus but if you are looking at DI or DII schools, they can't contact athletes until the end of their junior season. Golf for us is a spring sport. They can watch her play, etc. and we have seen them at the summer tournaments and the state tournament mostly so far.
My oldest - her best 9 hole score - 38 (easy course with a lot of short par 4s), 18-hole score, 85. She just missed going to state this year.

Is your girl a senior? Did you put together a swing video of her? What were her best scores?

I know there are a LOT of scholarships in girls golf. I know that the schools will find you if you're a scratch player. Mine has a lot of room for improvement over the next two years and I don't doubt she'll be breaking 80 next year. right now it's "consistency" for her...being able to duplicate those low scores match after match...which will come I know.

It's just a mass of confusion about the whole process of scouting colleges and thinking about scholarships. Where to begin....

I wonder if out of state schools offer in-state tuition rates if you are offered a scholarship. Both my girls "think" out of state colleges are the way to go, but I don't think I'd want to pay out of state tuition, especially in this day and age/jobs environment.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
My oldest - her best 9 hole score - 38 (easy course with a lot of short par 4s), 18-hole score, 85. She just missed going to state this year.

Is your girl a senior? Did you put together a swing video of her? What were her best scores?

I know there are a LOT of scholarships in girls golf. I know that the schools will find you if you're a scratch player. Mine has a lot of room for improvement over the next two years and I don't doubt she'll be breaking 80 next year. right now it's "consistency" for her...being able to duplicate those low scores match after match...which will come I know.

It's just a mass of confusion about the whole process of scouting colleges and thinking about scholarships. Where to begin....

I wonder if out of state schools offer in-state tuition rates if you are offered a scholarship. Both my girls "think" out of state colleges are the way to go, but I don't think I'd want to pay out of state tuition, especially in this day and age/jobs environment.
My DD is a junior this year. She has played in the state tournament the past 2 seasons (freshman and sophomore, junior season starts in March). Her scoring average last year was about 82. Her best tournament score is a 73 for 18 or 35 for 9 holes in competition.

Out of state schools may or may not offer in-state for athletes. There are so many NCAA regulations it's hard to keep track of them all. Even with a scoring average around 85, your DD will get a lot of looks from schools--not top 25 DI schools but plenty of DII and DIII schools she would be a top or near top player with an average around 85. DIII doesn't give athletic money but usually they are smaller, private schools and have a lot to offer for merit (academic) money. DIII is also almost more competitive then DII, at least in our area. In the latest rankings we have 6 of the top 25 DIII schools right around us.

Junior year your DD will have to register for the NCAA clearning house-required by all DI and DII athletes. She will also have to send them any ACT/ACT test scores so just something to file away for next year.

DD doesn't want to go to a top 25 DI program--WAY too much traveling/missed school for her. A few of her teammates/friends have done that and they are pretty much gone Thurs-Sunday every weekend in the Fall and Spring. She wants a less competitive DI program that doesn't travel so much . She still wants to be able to be "IN' college, not just golf for some school.

One school we visited over the summer asked for a swing video so we threw one together, nothing fancy. Her high school coach has a nice camera so he took the video.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
My DD is a junior this year. She has played in the state tournament the past 2 seasons (freshman and sophomore, junior season starts in March). Her scoring average last year was about 82. Her best tournament score is a 73 for 18 or 35 for 9 holes in competition.

Out of state schools may or may not offer in-state for athletes. There are so many NCAA regulations it's hard to keep track of them all. Even with a scoring average around 85, your DD will get a lot of looks from schools--not top 25 DI schools but plenty of DII and DIII schools she would be a top or near top player with an average around 85. DIII doesn't give athletic money but usually they are smaller, private schools and have a lot to offer for merit (academic) money. DIII is also almost more competitive then DII, at least in our area. In the latest rankings we have 6 of the top 25 DIII schools right around us.

Junior year your DD will have to register for the NCAA clearning house-required by all DI and DII athletes. She will also have to send them any ACT/ACT test scores so just something to file away for next year.

DD doesn't want to go to a top 25 DI program--WAY too much traveling/missed school for her. A few of her teammates/friends have done that and they are pretty much gone Thurs-Sunday every weekend in the Fall and Spring. She wants a less competitive DI program that doesn't travel so much . She still wants to be able to be "IN' college, not just golf for some school.

One school we visited over the summer asked for a swing video so we threw one together, nothing fancy. Her high school coach has a nice camera so he took the video.
Thanks for all the insight here, Golfgal. I expect by the time she hits her senior year she would be consistently 80 and under - she has a lot of room for improvement for her best game, just putting it all together.

I know there's plenty of opportunity in girls golf. Even if she didn't get an offer from a school she was interested in, she could always just walk on and try out for the team I suppose.

I'm really not to hip on the idea of paying out of state tuition for the girls.

I've looked at some of the college schedules and yeah, they do seem to travel quite a bit (Fly? Bus?) but most have about 4-6 matches in the fall and then pick it back up in the spring.

Her coach also said to keep the NAIA in mind too.

I'm planning on some school visits as soon as possible, small, med, large in state schools.

Appreciate your help, thanks.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:
I'm really not to hip on the idea of paying out of state tuition for the girls.
You do realize, don't you, that private schools have the same tuition whether you are in-state or out of state? Athletes that go to D-3 schools cannot get scholarships for sports but if they want your student, they will find the money and call it an alumni scholarship or something similar. Also, it's not that unusual for a smaller school to have one sport that is played at a higher division level. I don't know how often that's the case for women's golf.

My kids were not athletes so I did not go through the college search with those parameters but I do have close friends whose kids were athletes. One friend had very smart twin boys, both interested in engineering and both who were excellent soccer players. Both ended up at different private colleges where they were awarded large merit scholarships. One ended up playing varsity soccer all four years. The other one played one semester, decided he really didn't like the coach and (along with several teammates) dropped the team and played the sport at a club level. Both boys graduated in May and got jobs. The last two words are important.

I know a few athletes that focused their college search so much on finding the right coach, playing conditions and the whole effort of presenting themselves as student-athletes that they put the academic research on the back burner, thinking that as long as the college had their major, that part would work itself out. However, if the sport itself no longer appeals, the coach moves out/gets fired, there's an injury, etc then the student is left kind of adrift.

My point, and I don't mean to be stating the obvious, is just a reminder to look at the colleges themselves and make sure your kids can picture themselves there, with or without their sport.

Realtors, See This.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities