U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 10:07 AM

4,677 posts, read 4,589,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Does anyone one know anything about the University of Northern Iowa?
My sister-in-law just graduated from there and loved it. It sits in the Cedar Falls/Waterloo twin cities with a population around 180k. Not an urban center, but much more than college town too.
As an Iowa regent school, the academics on campus are more competitive than most people think. It can be surprisingly easy for students to fall behind as a result. Compared to Iowa State and University of Iowa, a much larger portion of UNI students are from the state of Iowa.
Study abroad is a huge thing at UNI for some reason. My sister-in-law went to Japan, Spain, and Italy while she was there.
Sports are a significant part of campus life. The football, basketball, wrestling, and many other teams are strongly supported.
Costs are very low; probably one of the cheapest schools in the country for out of state students (though most out of state students opt for the equally cheap University of Iowa).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 10:09 AM

4,677 posts, read 4,589,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
I think it's a pretty good school. Plays third fiddle in Iowa and is overshadowed a bit by ISU and the U of I. No engineering, I think the business school is decent. I've heard mixed reviews of Cedar Falls but have not been there myself.
Cedar Falls itself is basically a college town. Waterloo is probably more the source of "mixed reviews" than Cedar Falls.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:00 PM

20,793 posts, read 52,354,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
My sister-in-law just graduated from there and loved it. It sits in the Cedar Falls/Waterloo twin cities with a population around 180k. Not an urban center, but much more than college town too.
As an Iowa regent school, the academics on campus are more competitive than most people think. It can be surprisingly easy for students to fall behind as a result. Compared to Iowa State and University of Iowa, a much larger portion of UNI students are from the state of Iowa.
Study abroad is a huge thing at UNI for some reason. My sister-in-law went to Japan, Spain, and Italy while she was there.
Sports are a significant part of campus life. The football, basketball, wrestling, and many other teams are strongly supported.
Costs are very low; probably one of the cheapest schools in the country for out of state students (though most out of state students opt for the equally cheap University of Iowa).
THANKS!! This is great information. We have told the kids that they need to do a study abroad so that is fantastic. I will have to hop on the website and see what is available. I noticed that the out of state costs are roughly the same as the university system here for instate so that was ok. Instate costs are VERY reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Cedar Falls itself is basically a college town. Waterloo is probably more the source of "mixed reviews" than Cedar Falls.
I've been through Waterloo many times and I would agree with this. I have only been through Cedar Falls a couple times and it seems like a nice town but I don't remember much about the town really.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:48 PM

1,182 posts, read 947,448 times
The best college for the dollar spent is UCLA in my view. It isn't Harvard but it is almost as good at about 1/4th the cost.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:37 AM

8,185 posts, read 21,737,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
The best college for the dollar spent is UCLA in my view. It isn't Harvard but it is almost as good at about 1/4th the cost.
Only if you are a California resident. If you are from out of state, the cost is going to smaller, but still $$$$.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:29 PM

6,621 posts, read 11,170,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Only if you are a California resident. If you are from out of state, the cost is going to smaller, but still $$$$.
True. My friend got robbed with tuition fees because she's from NY.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:36 PM

3,672 posts, read 5,778,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
ucla is a great school, but harvard's financial aid is awesome. a student from a family making 75k or less will pay NOTHING at harvard, for example. you have to consider financial aid when you're looking at high-ranked private schools. its often very generous

Old 12-31-2011, 06:45 PM

6,621 posts, read 11,170,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
ucla is a great school, but harvard's financial aid is awesome. a student from a family making 75k or less will pay NOTHING at harvard, for example. you have to consider financial aid when you're looking at high-ranked private schools. its often very generous
You serious? Wish I knew this information before I made the decision to go to a crappy community college when everyone was telling me I was Harvard material.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:02 AM

17,566 posts, read 21,741,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepTheIslanders50 View Post
ARE THESE CONSIDERED GOOD SCHOOLS?

WHICH ARE THE BEST ON THIS LIST AND THE WORST?

WHAT IS THE REPUTATION OF THESE SCHOOLS?

- MARIST COLLEGE in Poughkeepsie, NY
- MOLLOY COLLEGE in Rockville Centre, NY
- ST. JOSEPH'S COLLEGE in Patchogue and Bklyn (not to be mistaken for SJ University)
- SUNY OLD WESTBURY

HELP!!! Anyone who responds will get a reputation point
I think I can give you some advice on each of these colleges. I am originally form NY State, specifically Long Island.

The reputations of all of these schools are average plus (Marist) to low. "Less selective" in the case of St.Joseph College (both campuses), "selective" in the case of SUNY Old Westbury, "selective" in the case of Molloy College, and a bit more selective in the case of Marist College, the only one on your list that is not on Long Island.

I am trying to figure out what these colleges have to do with each other, aside from their location. The first three are Catholic schools and the last, a part of the SUNY system. They are known for different programs.

Old Wesbury is inexpensive and located in a very attractive area of Nassau County, Long Island. It is the easiest four Year liberal arts SUNY college in which to gain entrance. It has a very high attrition rate, and many people come from economically disadvantaged backgrounds.

I am more familiar with St. Joe's in Patchogue than Brooklyn. Never knew anyone to be rejected from either campus. Commuter schools. Patchogue especially have a high proportion of woman who are completing their degrees "later in life". i.e. after having children, or a change in career.
I have two friends who have taught there and they have each said that St. Joe's has a very "high school like atmosphere". They accept almost everyone.

Molloy College is yet another formerly woman's Roman Catholic College, with a high percentage of "returning" or "non-traditional" students. Mostly older (i.e. 30 + woman) Many woman go to Molloy for it's affiliation with Fordham University in the MSW Social Work department. The draw? The classes are in upscale Rockville Center, (not the Bronx) but the degree says "Fordham" Also known for it's nursing program, which is more selective than Molloy's other majors.

Marist College is residential and has obtained some degree of fame because of it's polls. Marist was once a men's Catholic College. Pretty campus in up-state Poughkeepsie. More residential than the others, and has the best reputation of the bunch. Many Business, Management and Marketing majors. Also, Biology. A regional college, by all rankings.

If you are college age, and having a social life is of any concern, Marist is the only one where that will happen. You didn't ask but I thought I'd let you know.

All of these colleges fulfill a purposes - in the case of SUNY Old Westbury, educating undeserved, first generation students. With the exclusion of Marist, the other's educate a mixture of older, non traditional students, commuters and people who needed schools with flexible admission standards. I am not "putting them down", but those are the facts, and because of those facts, people, such as myself, establish opinions, and schools develop reputations.

If you let me know what you are looking for in a college, and what your intended major is, I might be able to give you some colleges that have "better reputations" in the NY Metro area,

Except for rankings published in college guides, which use statistically methodology in order to rank colleges, "reputation" is a subjective label, but I think I know what you are "getting at" when asking about reputation.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:02 AM

54 posts, read 262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
i think i can give you some advice on each of these colleges. I am originally form ny state, specifically long island.

The reputations of all of these schools are average plus (marist) to low. "less selective" in the case of st.joseph college (both campuses), "selective" in the case of suny old westbury, "selective" in the case of molloy college, and a bit more selective in the case of marist college, the only one on your list that is not on long island.

I am trying to figure out what these colleges have to do with each other, aside from their location. The first three are catholic schools and the last, a part of the suny system. They are known for different programs.

Old wesbury is inexpensive and located in a very attractive area of nassau county, long island. It is the easiest four year liberal arts suny college in which to gain entrance. It has a very high attrition rate, and many people come from economically disadvantaged backgrounds.

I am more familiar with st. Joe's in patchogue than brooklyn. Never knew anyone to be rejected from either campus. Commuter schools. Patchogue especially have a high proportion of woman who are completing their degrees "later in life". I.e. After having children, or a change in career.
I have two friends who have taught there and they have each said that st. Joe's has a very "high school like atmosphere". They accept almost everyone.

Molloy college is yet another formerly woman's roman catholic college, with a high percentage of "returning" or "non-traditional" students. Mostly older (i.e. 30 + woman) many woman go to molloy for it's affiliation with fordham university in the msw social work department. The draw? The classes are in upscale rockville center, (not the bronx) but the degree says "fordham" also known for it's nursing program, which is more selective than molloy's other majors.

Marist college is residential and has obtained some degree of fame because of it's polls. Marist was once a men's catholic college. Pretty campus in up-state poughkeepsie. More residential than the others, and has the best reputation of the bunch. Many business, management and marketing majors. Also, biology. A regional college, by all rankings.

If you are college age, and having a social life is of any concern, marist is the only one where that will happen. You didn't ask but i thought i'd let you know.

All of these colleges fulfill a purposes - in the case of suny old westbury, educating undeserved, first generation students. With the exclusion of marist, the other's educate a mixture of older, non traditional students, commuters and people who needed schools with flexible admission standards. I am not "putting them down", but those are the facts, and because of those facts, people, such as myself, establish opinions, and schools develop reputations.

If you let me know what you are looking for in a college, and what your intended major is, i might be able to give you some colleges that have "better reputations" in the ny metro area,

except for rankings published in college guides, which use statistically methodology in order to rank colleges, "reputation" is a subjective label, but i think i know what you are "getting at" when asking about reputation.
Thanks so much, Sheena12!!

I'm looking for any School in the New York City area that has;

- At least an average Accounting program
- Doesn't require Accounting
- Where you can transfer 50+ credits.

Any other suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities