Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 07:09 PM

562 posts, read 659,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
I seriously doubt a medical or law school really cares where you got your first two years as long as your grades were exceptional and you passed the proper tests to get in with the needed scores. Liz
That's not really true. In the case of Law Schools and Medical Schools, the candidates they look at will often come from their own stock which started right there with them in the beginning. Preferencial treatment is always given to candidates who have paid tuition to the university since the beginning. For instance Harvard Medical School......... I did my first 4 years at UT Austin, and now apply to HMS. Then there's a guy who did his first 4 years at Harvard, and applies to HMS. Who do you think would get in?

Same goes with the first 2 years of college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 07:11 PM

358 posts, read 916,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
I see no true reason for community colleges, but that's my opinion.
Actually, there are several careers which require more than high school diplomas but not four-year degrees. Junior colleges fulfill those needs very well.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:27 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,864 times
Okay, so those of you who don't like CC, spend a fortune, go deep in debt.

For those willing to try it, you will be in good company: Outstanding Alumni (http://www.aacc.nche.edu/Content/NavigationMenu/AboutCommunityColleges/OutstandingAlumni/Notable_Alumni.htm - broken link)

Liz

Old 08-21-2007, 07:41 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,864 times
You know, I went scrolling thru that list...saw a LOT of lawyers, doctors, leaders, etc in there. All who attended Community College.

Gee, wonder what they were thinking...The Mayo Clinic hiring a doctor who went to a CC??? Or Black & Decker putting a CC grad in charge of their company? Or Forbes hiring a CC grad as their publisher? The list goes on and on....

Liz

Old 08-21-2007, 08:46 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,064 times
As soneone who graduated at a traditional university, and is now getting a degree at a community college, yes. The CC students I met have been very serious about their studies. Plus, community colleges in my area teach more practial knowledge than theory.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:22 AM

562 posts, read 659,630 times
Quote:
You know, I went scrolling thru that list...saw a LOT of lawyers, doctors, leaders, etc in there. All who attended Community College.

Gee, wonder what they were thinking...The Mayo Clinic hiring a doctor who went to a CC??? Or Black & Decker putting a CC grad in charge of their company? Or Forbes hiring a CC grad as their publisher? The list goes on and on....

Liz
To each their own??? Isn't this America, the land of the free choice? If you wish to go to a crummy community college with uncomfortable chairs, and bottom of the barrel professors, go right ahead. Most of the professors in community colleges couldn't make it anywhere else, and that's why they are there.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:09 AM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,391,673 times
Quote:
You've never heard of Six Sigma then? And that training is always done online. Liz
Yes, I agree! Six Sigma and many other types of training are done online. As a training and performance consultant, I've actually been involved in the implementation of many online training programs. Given the great sums of money that many large corporations have shelled out for these training programs, these programs have to be successful. A company isn't going to spend several million dollars on a learning management system to deliver 'crap.' They want Return On Investment and well-designed online training can deliver a good return.

I've acquired such a confidence in the benefits of online learning, that after getting two other degrees at brick-and-mortar schools, I'm now earning my Master's degree through an online program. I'm two-thirds of the way through the program and I can say that I've learned more through this program than I did when I was going for a Master's several years ago at a 'traditional' school.

However, online learning is not for everyone. Students who are most successful in earning online degrees are those who are highly-motivated and have good study/work skills. For kids just coming out of high school, they may benefit more from the traditional on-campus experience. If you already have a degree however, and you're thinking of going back to school again, online study is great.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:51 AM

358 posts, read 916,351 times
Quote:
Okay, so those of you who don't like CC, spend a fortune, go deep in debt.

For those willing to try it, you will be in good company: Outstanding Alumni (http://www.aacc.nche.edu/Content/NavigationMenu/AboutCommunityColleges/OutstandingAlumni/Notable_Alumni.htm - broken link)

Liz

With all due respect, it sounds like you're looking for validation. A junior college certainly has a place in our society, but comparing it directly with a traditional four-year college or university displays a considerable lack of knowledge about the educational system.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:54 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
Mostly, though Community colleges, enable you to take a variety of classes and experiment with what you may or may not like, if you are just out of HS and don't have a clue about a career path. All at much lower rates, spending $30,000 per year to find out what you want to do, is just not practical.

And here in IL, all your credits are guaranteed to transfer into all the IL state universities. (This was NOT the case when I was in college, otherwise I would have gone to CC myself and stayed out of debt)

Old 08-22-2007, 08:35 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,232,611 times
Yup. That's exactly what I did. I went to a cc to get all of my general courses and whatnot out of the way and got my associates. Then transferred to uni for 2 years and took all courses required for my major. Graduated with way less debt than my peers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities