Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 07:44 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times

Advertisements

Based solely on places to live, I would choose Boston College or U. Washington. Boston is a great place, easy to get around, tons to do, lots of college students. Maybe Northeastern as well, also in Boston and right on a subway stop.

U. Washington (Seattle) - great place, I went there on a one semester program myself many years ago, had the best time ever. Totally fun, friendly, very diverse, right in an exciting city and walkable to everything.

Gtech is a big party school, so you might like it there also. I don't know about transportation there. Cost of living might be lower down there, also. No firsthand experience, just know people who had fun there.

The Texas Universities are big and well-known for being fun places, and Austin is really respected in engineering, but Texas is hot....and it's Texas. Still, lots of people love those schools. Cost of living is definitely lower there, though, than in the Northeast or mid-atlantic states. Honestly, not my personal favorite in terms of location...I hate texas. But it might be just personal taste.

I do not recommend University of Virginia (unfriendly, small town), Arizona (too ungodly hot), Richmond or South Carolina, the SUNY schools (not in fun locations for a short visit), American (not fun, not that close to DC, which is also not that fun).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 05:36 PM

919 posts, read 1,782,537 times
Whichever one doesn't have a financial aide department which has been sold out to banks. Honestly, at this point in time, be far more selective in making sure that you receive a financial aide package which first and foremost is equitable, the terms of the loans are certain and you have an interest rate which is fair AND determined, that the uni makes sure that the classes in your major would be available when you need them, rather than stretched out over several years making it impossible for you to graduate within four years.

Also, read up and make sure that your uni hasn't been involved in any kickbacks from banks and financial institutions. Along with that, be aware that many unis have only one financial institution which they deal with, making it impossible for you to trust that the financial aide department will give you a competitive loan.

Along with all that, make sure that they school tells you the default rates for recent graduates. If they refuse to tell you, dump them, and fast. You can't go to college like some bubble headed teenager thinking that you won't have to worry about the possibility of not having a job to pay back loans. Read up about what graduates think of their universities.

Lastly, you have WAY too many unis under consideration. I have no idea what you're thinking, but you must be able to visit all of your options before making one of the most important decisions of your life, and speak with the administrators of those schools. If you're not asking the right questions and getting satisfactory answers you're wasting your time. And given your OP, no way will you be able to accomplish what you need to do....

Last edited by loloroj; 10-13-2011 at 07:03 PM..

Old 10-13-2011, 10:12 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Quote:
Hey guys, I am thinking of applying for exchange to state for 1 semester from August to December 2012.
He's an exchange student, he will only be in the US for one semester.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:14 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
American (not fun, not that close to DC, which is also not that fun).
Actually American University is located within Washington, DC and the city is known for being pretty fun. The neighborhoods of Georgetown, Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle and Capitol Hill offer plenty of diversions for college students.

Google Maps

Old 10-16-2011, 02:33 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Actually American University is located within Washington, DC and the city is known for being pretty fun. The neighborhoods of Georgetown, Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle and Capitol Hill offer plenty of diversions for college students.

Google Maps
Respectfully, American is in the far northern part of DC, closer to Maryland suburbs than any of the really interesting parts of DC.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:30 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Just about any of those on the list. What really matters is how you can get through cost-efficiently.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:40 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Which California State University campus? There are 21 locations (?) throughout California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities