Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2011, 02:32 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Ok... they typically aren't good at it. We're talking about the general educated population. Not the extreme geniuses.
The general population has liberal arts degrees and business degrees... not engineering degrees...

http://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/figu...gure-fsu-1.gif

Wow, with all these liberal arts majors and business majors, shouldn't they have discovered a cure for cancer by now? Oh wait, they aren't the ones researching that... my bad...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 02:37 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Science and engineering is focused on problem solving, yes... but not on problem discovery. That is where areas such as psychology, philosophy and anthropology come into play.
This is gibberish on many levels.... Firstly, "problem discovery" is a key part of science. Secondly, psychology and anthropology are sciences.... Thirdly, psychologists, anthropologists and philosophers are not discovering problems for say physicists to solve...

Just more comedy....I'm sure you can find better things to do with your time that make things on on a forum....right?

Quote:
Have you ever studied a liberal art?
Yep....unlike yourself.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:38 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
The general population has liberal arts degrees and business degrees... not engineering degrees...

http://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/figu...gure-fsu-1.gif

Wow, with all these liberal arts majors and business majors, shouldn't they have discovered a cure for cancer by now? Oh wait, they aren't the ones researching that... my bad...
I think that's kind of disrespectful to the scientists who have dedicated their lives to cancer research. It's certainly not a matter of quantity as it is lack of quality understanding of that disease. But they are definitely making progress on it. I digress...

Old 10-31-2011, 02:41 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
Believe when I say there are plenty of qualified and unemployed nurses out there. Many hospitals are on a hiring freeze or they refuse to hire more nurses because they don't want to spend more money on nurses. Nurses are an added expense that many hospitals do not want to bother spending on. So they hire a few good nurses and force them to take on dangerously high patient loads, networking and burning their staff out.
So true. Hospitals are going bankrupt right and left in my area. My brother lost his 25-year-old job when his hospital closed. Fortunately, he had a part-time job at another hospital, but it still took 18 months for them to hire him as a permanent, full-timer. The nursing 'shortage' is a myth in most cities. The hospitals just aren't spending the money to hire them.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:46 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I think that's kind of disrespectful to the scientists who have dedicated their lives to cancer research. It's certainly not a matter of quantity as it is lack of quality understanding of that disease. But they are definitely making progress on it. I digress...
You missed the point entirely. The point was that business and liberal arts majors are not the ones doing major research on the world's problems or coming up with unique new ideas as NJBest formerly asserted.

Scientists and Engineers are the ones doing this research. They are the ones coming up with new ideas.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:47 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Many universities offer liberal arts courses as electives, and that is fine. But if a person goes to college to major in that, then they have a legitimate reason to wonder whether it is a wise investment of their time and money (LOTS of it).

What kind of return are they expecting from such an investment?
Knowledge.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:48 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Medieval literature is a ridiculous degree. Those are not the kinds of liberal arts graduates we need.

Your professors may be doing that, but if they are solely engineers or scientists, without any study in psychology and philosophy, they probably aren't conducting the greatest studies.
Put your shovel away. At the rate you're going, you'll be submerged for life.

This is just laughable....

Old 10-31-2011, 02:54 PM

284 posts, read 499,758 times
Quote:
You missed the point entirely. The point was that business and liberal arts majors are not the ones doing major research on the world's problems or coming up with unique new ideas as NJBest formerly asserted.

Scientists and Engineers are the ones doing this research. They are the ones coming up with new ideas.
Seriously people, can't y'all just agree to disagree? Every major has its own importance. Just because you (you applying to both sides of this argument) cannot see what's so important about a major does not mean there's nothing significant there.

I honestly get tired of the same old "my degree is bigger than yours" argument every time two different colleges get in the same room.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
The point was that business and liberal arts majors are not the ones doing major research on the world's problems or coming up with unique new ideas.
I see what you're saying, but I do feel that not enough credit is given to people with backgrounds in the LAs. Just because someone has a degree in the humanities doesn't mean they are entirely incapable of problem solving. I think a lot of these folks play bigger roles than you might imagine, perhaps not always on the grand scale, but on the smaller scale in administrative and/or operational roles.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wscottling View Post
Seriously people, can't y'all just agree to disagree? Every major has its own importance. Just because you (you applying to both sides of this argument) cannot see what's so important about a major does not mean there's nothing significant there.

I honestly get tired of the same old "my degree is bigger than yours" argument every time two different colleges get in the same room.
Seriously, you're right. I think it's just natural for people to be competitive, some obviously more than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities