U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 11-02-2011, 01:06 PM

3,770 posts, read 1,852,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Or you can choose to go to a school that doesn't put you into debt. My university has a "no loan" policy. They provide grants in lieu of loans.
This is the exception not the rule.... Grants? Paid for by who? The government/taxpayers or donors?

Fact is that average college educations now cost around $17,000 per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-02-2011, 01:10 PM

18,903 posts, read 12,240,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
This is the exception not the rule.... Grants? Paid for by who? The government/taxpayers or donors?

The University's endowment. Who else?

Sure, education is expensive.... but if you choose wisely, you don't need to go in debt.

Unread 11-02-2011, 01:40 PM

11,927 posts, read 8,913,665 times
Quote:
At my university, liberal arts students have to take lab science and math courses. They certainly don't have to take engineering classes. What are you expecting them to take in order to be well rounded?
Yes at your mysteriously university. Liberal arts degree programs (English, History, etc) rarely, if ever, have mathematics requirements. Here are the requirements to Stanford's English program:

Undergraduate Studies | Stanford University Department of English

Not a single science and math requirement. The university doesn't have any general math requirement either, but it does require 2 science classes. Also, having a lab requirement doesn't make a science class rigorous, most universities have science courses with labs oriented towards non-majors (also known as dumped down science classes...). Typical courses to that end are "Astronomy", "Geology", "Environmental Science", "Fundamentals of Biology", etc. Looking at some dirt, the sky, etc doesn't exactly teach you much about science... It can be fun though, which is why Astronomy, etc are so popular with liberal arts majors.

Unread 11-02-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Or, alternately, everything.
Which is ironically, just another way to say "nothing".

Unread 11-02-2011, 01:48 PM

5,510 posts, read 7,046,715 times
Computer Networking is a good degree to go for. And it's one which will be hard to send overseas because much of the job is actually pulling cards and wires from the actual machines themselves and only the techs who know what they are doing can do that. So long as we have mobile devices in America, we'll need people to network and maintain and support them...

But, I'm totally guilty of judging a degree as "useless". Photography, for example. Art History. I mean these things are interesting sure, but you're not going to graduate and then land a job which earns enough to pay those school loans back within any reasonable amount of time.

Get your serious degree first, then get your good job, then go back to school to study your passion. Because if you do your passion first, you might be able to take really pretty pictures and have fascinating discussions with interesting people but you'll be in debt up past your eyebrows and you'll prolly be living in an apartment for a very long time.

Unread 11-02-2011, 01:55 PM

5,510 posts, read 7,046,715 times
Quote:
Or you can choose to go to a school that doesn't put you into debt. My university has a "no loan" policy. They provide grants in lieu of loans.

What Uni is this? I would like to know... in our not-so-distant future we have two kiddos to help through college...

Unread 11-02-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Yes at your mysteriously university. Liberal arts degree programs (English, History, etc) rarely, if ever, have mathematics requirements. Here are the requirements to Stanford's English program:

Undergraduate Studies | Stanford University Department of English

Not a single science and math requirement. The university doesn't have any general math requirement either, but it does require 2 science classes. Also, having a lab requirement doesn't make a science class rigorous, most universities have science courses with labs oriented towards non-majors (also known as dumped down science classes...). Typical courses to that end are "Astronomy", "Geology", "Environmental Science", "Fundamentals of Biology", etc. Looking at some dirt, the sky, etc doesn't exactly teach you much about science... It can be fun though, which is why Astronomy, etc are so popular with liberal arts majors.
That's interesting considering Stanford is a decent school. I was looking at my university requirements of A.B./Lib Arts and it looks like they dropped the math requirements and replaced it with a course called "Quantitative Reasoning" for incoming 2013 students. They also scrapped the science requirements and replaced it with "Science and Technology w/ lab" requirements. Not sure what that is.

Anyways, like I've said before, not everything is about math and science.

Unread 11-02-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
What Uni is this? I would like to know... in our not-so-distant future we have two kiddos to help through college...
I basically chose to go to the school closest to my parent's home. It's often cheaper if you go closer to home... cuts out a bunch of expenses. It's not the best way to choose a school, but it worked out for me. They actually have a good network.

Princeton University - Welcome

I studied computer science. If they had a business school, it's likely that I would have continued to work on my masters there.

Unread 11-02-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Anyways, like I've said before, not everything is about math and science.
Gee, really? Nobody is suggesting that "math and science" are everything, instead, that they are rather important subjects. An education can hardly be called "well rounded" if it excludes them.

Unread 11-02-2011, 02:14 PM

5,507 posts, read 4,811,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post

You are pretty dumb if you are paying 17k a year unless it's for graduate school. The only number that matters is average debt upon graduation. Which is under 20k for many public universities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities