Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2011, 07:15 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I don't think you'll have to worry about that too much. The government is too busy bailing out corporations to worry about bailing out poor people who don't have money to contribute to their re-election campaign.
*cough* ahem *cough*

http://www.city-data.com/forum/colle...dent-loan.html

Funny this plan comes quickly after all the "99%" crap starts popping up.

As for bailing out companies... Who pays paychecks. People in designer jeans with Macbooks, in drum circles in Times Squares don't. Its a company.

FWIW, my state gave several incentives to my company. What happened? They built a billlion dollar facility, hired ~3,000 employees, and there are probably 30 other local companies supplying and working to keep the place operational.

They gave out raises, and are still hiring like crazy. That allowed me to support my family, guess what. We are buying a house. A couple is now not stuck in their current house, they can move out.

Giving people money does nothing. Giving people jobs, that does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 07:29 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
*cough* ahem *cough*

http://www.city-data.com/forum/colle...dent-loan.html

Funny this plan comes quickly after all the "99%" crap starts popping up.

As for bailing out companies... Who pays paychecks. People in designer jeans with Macbooks, in drum circles in Times Squares don't. Its a company.

FWIW, my state gave several incentives to my company. What happened? They built a billlion dollar facility, hired ~3,000 employees, and there are probably 30 other local companies supplying and working to keep the place operational.

They gave out raises, and are still hiring like crazy. That allowed me to support my family, guess what. We are buying a house. A couple is now not stuck in their current house, they can move out.

Giving people money does nothing. Giving people jobs, that does.
I've heard about that, though haven't read it or discussed it in great depth. Hopefully it doesn't go through; sounds like a travesty.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:53 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I double-majored. I have an engineering degree (Computer Science).
I don't know what an "engineering degree (Computer Science)" means. Are they one major, the same? Further, a degree does not make a person an engineer or a scientist. The work does that.

Quote:
I've studied physics and chemistry as requirements for that degree. I also have an economics degree with solidified my understanding of math.

My experience is spread out. The cognitive psych stuff is new to me. I don't do computer science, economics, or psych for work.
See above.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:14 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Something I've been wanting to mention in this thread is that I think it's a bit off to figure that science majors and scientists/engineers are generally LA illiterate. The vast majority of techies I happen to know love literature and are seasoned artists. Ime, art and science go hand in hand. I paint, and love photography. My husband is an avid reader and has cherished literature since he was a kid. Thank goodness for kindle!

Old 10-31-2011, 08:16 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I know some will disagree, but psych work does not provide a window into the inquiry of the physical sciences, ime. And I'll be honest here, there is a divide between the soft and hard sciences. Lots of poo poo there because the complete bias required to operate in soft science research is frowned upon by those on the other side.
And what is your experience in psychology? Your commentary here seems uninformed and you appear to be thinking of clinical psychology and not the sort of science based psychology that occurs on universities campuses.

You're right though, there is a divide, but its solely the creation of those in the "hard sciences" that don't understand what others are doing, heck, probably don't even understand what goes on in the "hard sciences" either.

The "soft sciences" and the "hard sciences" use the same methodology, the only difference is the subject material.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Something I've been wanting to mention in this thread is that I think it's a bit off to figure that science majors and scientists/engineers are generally LA illiterate. The vast majority of techies I happen to know love literature and are seasoned artists. Ime, art and science go hand in hand. I paint, and love photography. My husband is an avid reader and has cherished literature since he was a kid. Thank goodness for kindle!
And on that note, it is also true that not all people who have studied the LAs are a bunch of tech/math/science illiterate softies. But again, most of these threads boil down to a bunch of ego-maniacs claiming that their degree is superior. We are all competitive in nature, so I totally get it. We all want to think we are the best and that our s**t don't stink.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I think that's why we need to get people more interested in these subjects rather than force them to take them once they're in college.
If kids were not "forced" to take particular classes and learn particular things what exactly would be the significance of a degree? Are you suggesting colleges allow students to take whatever they wish and then get whatever degree they wish regardless of the courses taken? If not...then what exactly?

A "liberal arts" education use to be rigorous and you'd walk away with a good understanding of all the major disciplines, today "liberal arts" degrees provide a very narrow education in not much at all.... The degrees signifies very little. The degree that comes closest to a traditional liberal arts education is Philosophy, but even there it really depends on the particular department (there is a divide in Philosophy and it depends what sort of philosophy the department does).

Anyhow, I've tried to understand the point of today's liberal arts degrees and I just don't see it. I'm not even thinking of the jobs issue, just purely from an educational perspective. I don't understand what sort of general intellectual skills they are trying to teach, they seem to exist on their own self-serving planet..stealing as much $$ from students as possible.

Last edited by user_id; 10-31-2011 at 08:40 PM..

Old 10-31-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
I don't know what an "engineering degree (Computer Science)" means. Are they one major, the same?
It means they are just pulling your leg and don't actually have a degree in computer science....

Old 10-31-2011, 08:38 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Agree...I find that this entire topic is much more polarizing on forums than it is in real life. Most people are not "I'm in A camp, and I'm virulently opposed to acknowledging that everyone in B camp has anything on the ball whatsoever, because everyone knows that only morons are attracted to B camp to begin with." It's just entertainment to hop onto one's keyboard and start postulating in such a manner to see what sort of reaction one can stir up.

In my experience, internet soapboxes notwithstanding, people are generally not so easily pigeonholed. I live with a (almost..3 tests down, 2 to go) CPA and forensic accountant/fraud analyst who majored in English literature as an undergrad, and who has played classical and jazz piano since age six. So much for number crunchers being unlikely candidates for involvement in literature or the arts. People (the interesting ones, anyway) aren't that one-dimensional.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
If kids were not "forced" to take particular classes and learn particular things what exactly would be the significance of a degree? Are you suggesting colleges allow students to take whatever they wish and then get whatever degree they wish regardless of the courses taken? If not...then what exactly?
I am merely suggesting that it's a deeper problem, where people are lacking the desire to learn. The degree has become all about the potential $$$ and people want the quickest way to it. That is what disappoints me the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities